"Student Athlete" on HBO

clone2003

Sep 1, 2013
Stayed up late and watched "Student Athlete" on HBO last night. It is a revealing look at NCAA Football and Basketball. I won't spoil it for those that haven't watched it yet, but for those that did see it, what was your reaction? I thought it was very powerful in the way that it showed the inequality that exists today and the absurd amounts of money being paid to coaches.

Reactions: srjclone

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I haven't watched this one yet, but it looks like HBO is taking some shots at the NCAA. It's turned into a major story line on Ballers where The Rock is trying to take down the entire NCAA for corruption.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I'm sure it's going to completely ignore the benefits that athletes do get. I'll watch it at some point but I expect it to be pretty one-sided in terms of what they acknowledge. I would bet they also make note of how much coaches make without actually looking at how much more important they are to the programs than individual athletes.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

clone2003

Sep 1, 2013
I'm sure it's going to completely ignore the benefits that athletes do get. I'll watch it at some point but I expect it to be pretty one-sided in terms of what they acknowledge. I would bet they also make note of how much coaches make without actually looking at how much more important they are to the programs than individual athletes.
Both of the points you are trying to make are addressed in the documentary. For most of the young black men in NCAA Football and Basketball, their value will never be higher than when they are 16-23 years old. The odds of making it as a pro, however, are nearly impossible, just based on shear numbers. I highly recommend watching and then telling us how you feel about "benefits" to athletes and coaches' pay.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Is there an app I need or somewhere online I can find this without waiting for a rerun?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Both of the points you are trying to make are addressed in the documentary. For most of the young black men in NCAA Football and Basketball, their value will never be higher than when they are 16-23 years old. The odds of making it as a pro, however, are nearly impossible, just based on shear numbers. I highly recommend watching and then telling us how you feel about "benefits" to athletes and coaches' pay.

I likely won't disagree with things they say. I'm just saying they will leave out the part where those student athletes are getting $200K worth of education and a great opportunity to get a degree to better themselves which is worth far more than a 50K salary or something. If people can't realize that the odds of making it as a pro are incredibly small and they need to take the education piece seriously, a little bit of money in their pocket isn't incredibly helpful in the future.

So, I'll watch it and probably agree they aren't getting quite enough. I'll also be pissed that people throw away the things they are getting as if they don't count.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I likely won't disagree with things they say. I'm just saying they will leave out the part where those student athletes are getting $200K worth of education and a great opportunity to get a degree to better themselves which is worth far more than a 50K salary or something. If people can't realize that the odds of making it as a pro are incredibly small and they need to take the education piece seriously, a little bit of money in their pocket isn't incredibly helpful in the future.

So, I'll watch it and probably agree they aren't getting quite enough. I'll also be pissed that people throw away the things they are getting as if they don't count.
The thing is, and I do agree with you on the education piece, but in basketball specifically most that feel they can make it to the NBA are planning to play basketball after college, whether the pros G-league or over seas. The university is a stepping stone to their career (or internship), in their minds. I have not watched this doc yet, but plan to. I would imagine the issues that are brought up are based around the problems that athletes/coaches/institutions face when dealing with the mid-to-upper level recruits, who usually garner more of the "benefits" or are looking for where they can get them. There are plenty, I would argue a very large percentage, of student athletes that compete in the NCAA and view their scholarship as a free education setting themselves up for a career in the future.

The muddied waters are the top 100 or so recruits. The ones who have been put on a pedestal and moved around the country to play with the best team, against the best competition. Which is why they would focus on that more than the other student athletes who are getting their 200k education and not batting an eye. I'd be surprised if they don't touch on that aspect at all, though.

clone2003

Sep 1, 2013
Stayed up late and watched "Student Athlete" on HBO last night. It is a revealing look at NCAA Football and Basketball. I won't spoil it for those that haven't watched it yet, but for those that did see it, what was your reaction? I thought it was very powerful in the way that it showed the inequality that exists today and the absurd amounts of money being paid to coaches.
Again, I don't want to spoil for those that haven't watched, but the fact these young men are sacrificing their long term health is also a major issue that is swept under the rug. Once the kid can no longer play, they are tossed in the trash heap and the coaches are off to recruit the next guy to take their place in the sausage factory.

Reactions: srjclone

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Again, I don't want to spoil for those that haven't watched, but the fact these young men are sacrificing their long term health is also a major issue that is swept under the rug. Once the kid can no longer play, they are tossed in the trash heap and the coaches are off to recruit the next guy to take their place in the sausage factory.

I disagree with this. When I went to play college football I knew I could be hurt and most likely would have health issues as a result once I got older. It's a risk most are ok with because of the reward.

And I will add that your last sentence is not always true. I've know numerous guys who had career ending injury's and the athletic department found ways for them to keep their scholarship so they could continue going to school.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I watched it, and it came off as HBO pandering to the the target demographic.

Help Support Us

Become a patron