Sports Page Ames

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I didn't know that was a thing, sounds interesting.

We'll give it a shot. It could be faster in the event that you're specifically going for meat or cheese.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Interesting. Right next to Hy-Vee too. Could be bad news for West Hy-Vee's wine & spirits section (as long as the selection is similar, it's easier for me to swing into that place if I'm just going for alcohol). Is Fareway's meat department better than Hy-Vee?

Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Interesting. Right next to Hy-Vee too. Could be bad news for West Hy-Vee's wine & spirits section (as long as the selection is similar, it's easier for me to swing into that place if I'm just going for alcohol). Is Fareway's meat department better than Hy-Vee?

I think it's become much more subjective these days than it was, say, 20 years ago. I remember growing up and my parents only being willing to get meat from Fareway, but now I hear differing opinions on it vs Hy-Vee as best.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I'm curious who they're counting on to be their customer base for this.
Is Fareway hoping that people doing their regular grocery shopping at Hyvee will eschew their offerings and make a second stop at the Fareway store for meat?
Are they hoping that people stopping for booze will also buy meat?
Are they banking on the "Fareway Meat" reputation carrying this store?

I'm not saying it can't work. I just hope they did their market research, because putting a specialty store right next to an established store that sells the same products and much more is usually not a recipe for success.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa

Fareway is definitely cheaper than Hy-vee's meats and I would put them at similar quality but prefer Fareway meat counter.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Is Fareway hoping that people doing their regular grocery shopping at Hyvee will eschew their offerings and make a second stop at the Fareway store for meat?

I'm not saying it can't work. I just hope they did their market research, because putting a specialty store right next to an established store that sells the same products and much more is usually not a recipe for success.

Has to be that one, and that people will be so dedicated to that reputation that they make two grocery stops. Sure, they aren't far apart, but people are already in the other store.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames

I think part of it is because there's no Fareway presence in west Ames, AND they don't need to build -- it's pretty much still new construction.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'd go to a Fareway for meat and Hy-Vee for booze/produce all day every day given the opportunity.

Hy-Vee's caught up in quality of meat, but Fareway wins on price.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I think part of it is because there's no Fareway presence in west Ames, AND they don't need to build -- it's pretty much still new construction.
True, but is the best way to get a foothold in the area a specialty shop?

I mean, there might be a reason there haven't been a lot of butcher/cheese shops springing up before this. Look at Big box stores like Target and Walmart. They're going the opposite way, including more offerings under their roofs, like grocery, pharmacy, liquor, etc. Specialty shops that get by are the ones that offer something truly special. Premium products that you can't get other places. Offering something similar to the bigger, rival store across the street at a slightly cheaper price, and hoping that the savings will overcome convenience is definitely a gamble.

• Agree
Reactions: Playboi Carti

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
My first apartment in had in Kansas City, I would shop at a price chopper for all of my produce, but would buy everything else at a Walmart neighborhood market. The price chopper was maybe a mile and a half further, but it was all it the same direction. I did this because the Walmart produce would spoil too quickly after buying it, the price chopper produce lasted longer.

Point is that people may be willing to go to different stores. Additionally, this store is practically in the same parking lot. Some may just park the car between the two stores and walk.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
So many apartments between campus and West side of Ames and this is right in the middle.
I would stop there all the time over Hyvee.

• Agree
Reactions: JSmoove

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
So many apartments between campus and West side of Ames and this is right in the middle.
I would stop there all the time over Hyvee.
It's just for meats tho. I don't see the point of getting most groceries at one story than getting just meat at the other. And Hyvee has good meat

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Fareway meat is better. Especially if you get whole pork loins or whole ribeyes. Chicken and seafood probably not so much.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It's just for meats tho. I don't see the point of getting most groceries at one story than getting just meat at the other. And Hyvee has good meat
Yeah, sounds like a great plan to me. Meats, cheese, beer, snacks, wine, charcoal, buns are all at the Omaha location and this one says sushi as well?

Some people don’t want to have to go into a huge store, hassle with a big parking lot, etc.
I’ve personally never been a fan of HyVees meat dept. They like to advertise many things per cost and not by oz or lb. There aren’t a lot of food items in a grocery store like that but HyVee loves to do it in their meat dept for some reason.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron