Sports Page Ames

LostinIowaCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 15, 2011
Ames, IA
No one knows if it's closed or not since North Grand Mall has been vacated since 2011. It's like the Walking Dead in there.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
No one knows if it's closed or not since North Grand Mall has been vacated since 2011. It's like the Walking Dead in there.

Yeah it's been left for Dead since the city approved Bucky's mall out on 13th St. When they started building that, I knew North Grand was doomed.

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
Yeah it's been left for Dead since the city approved Bucky's mall out on 13th St. When they started building that, I knew North Grand was doomed.

Did they actually (finally) start building a new mall? I last lived in Ames in early 2012 and I seem to recall there being debate about where or if a new mall would go up and what would have to North Grand Mall. I've stuck around campus, Duff, and downtown during visits since leaving so haven't kept tabs on the things going on in north Ames.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Did they actually (finally) start building a new mall? I last lived in Ames in early 2012 and I seem to recall there being debate about where or if a new mall would go up and what would have to North Grand Mall. I've stuck around campus, Duff, and downtown during visits since leaving so haven't kept tabs on the things going on in north Ames.

No. It's not being built

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

No. Bucky foreclosed the property and Elwell bought it.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA

It was eventually approved, but never got built due to Bucky getting into financial troubles (and 2008 economic recession). Elwell owns it now, the major thing holding back develop now is getting utilities across I35 to site (as that will be costly).

bs1984

Mar 11, 2012
Ames
Sports Page in the mall changed owners 5 or 6 years back probably. They closed the north grand location. They are more into team sale now. I used to work there back in the early 2000's.

But the new restaurant still sucks

DeBruzzio

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Fort Dodge native
Sports Page in the mall changed owners 5 or 6 years back probably. They closed the north grand location. They are more into team sale now. I used to work there back in the early 2000's.

But the new restaurant still sucks 

SPORTS PAGE sporting goods and SPORTS PAGE restaurant are 2 separate unrelated entities. I know both owners.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
Give it some time to get the wait staff figured out. The Sports Page in Fort Dodge has great food.

I will agree that the decor inside seems bland and done on a budget.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
Same here. These guys seem to have a lot of fires also. Mineral City and the previous building on the Sports Page site also did.

Yeah, my wife is from Ft Dodge and told me about the fires with these places. Seems a bit suspicious, but could be a coincidence I suppose

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
This is true. These are the 3 of the best restaurants in Fort Dodge and the owner's are close friends of my family. Give the new Ames one a little more time for them get work out the kinks. They'll get it turned around.
I'll back this opinion as well, though I'd argue Sports Page is the worst of the three. Admittedly, my arguments on the topic are a bit out of date as I live outside the area now and only make it back to see my folks.

Last edited: