So... How Will the Game go?

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I am much more concerned about this game than I was before the season. The UNI game took a little wind out of my sails regarding the o-line and Iowa is looking better than I thought they would. I’ve got ISU by 3, but I wouldn’t be surprised by any outcome to be honest.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Very well put and spot on to how I feel about it and how it should end point wise.

I do agree that I think the nature of our play the first game hopefully was helpful for the coaching staff and players...BUT, I also think we were 2-3 plays from that being a game we win 24-10 (two drive killer penalties that were likely scoring drives, the "fumble" TD by UNI)...so I guess i'm saying i actually feel better about the first game as i think about it. BUT, a big reminder gotta control the turnovers/penalties (and how Iowa messes up or we make them mess up) to really win the margins.

People need to stop using the UNI game as a benchmark. If tyou go back and watch the film there were actually a lot of positives to take away from that game that didn't show up on the scoreboard.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Yes and no. I think Iowa's back 7 is ripe for the picking and that we will see a lot of quick short routes. I definitely think we will try to run the ball but we can't afford to be hell bent on it either.

So, are you saying the back 7 will only give up the short stuff? I felt Iowa shut down all the quick/short passes by Rutgers. I do think Brock being on target over the middle of the field and hopefully stretching the field more often will be key. After our last game, I imagine Iowa has extremely focused on limiting Deonte's catches.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
So, are you saying the back 7 will only give up the short stuff? I felt Iowa shut down all the quick/short passes by Rutgers. I do think Brock being on target over the middle of the field and hopefully stretching the field more often will be key. After our last game, I imagine Iowa has extremely focused on limiting Deonte's catches.

JFC! I think the key word is Rutgers...

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
images

• Funny
Reactions: throwittoblythe

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017
Yeah good luck stopping this
5623db20de016.image.jpg

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
I think we will be much improved and the bad mistakes should hopefully be cleaned up, however the o-line is my major concern, especially if Purdy Is forced to stay in the pocket again. I think the game will ultimately come down to two or three big plays, hopefully we come away with the win.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Only thing I want is a win. It doesn't matter come conference play, but 4 L's in a row is enough. Time to thin out the visitors on CF and a win will do that.

• Agree
Reactions: SCyclone

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
Seems like there is always differing opinions between coming out and playing with their hair on fire vs. remaining calm/focused to detail w/o getting caught up in the hype. So many of these matchups have come down to the trenches. My biggest concern is our OL vs. their defense. Somehow, we need to be able to run the ball 'enough' , don't we? Not to mention, protecting Brock.
If our O-line doesn't perform and Brock gets hurt, then Real Mitchell comes in and wins 10 straight and to a bowl win. Seems to be our recipe for success. Replace the starter with the backup. (just kidding, I hope Brock never misses a game for this year and the next 2!)

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
We'll struggle to run between the tackles and Purdy will not get endless time in the pocket for long-developing pass routes. If we keep trying to make those work instead of playing to our strengths, it will be a frustrating day. We are not going to out smash-mouth Iowa.

I want to see Purdy rolling out and using his legs to maximize his abilities. I think we can slip our running backs and tight end out for some easy pitch and catches. That would also slow down the pass rush.

On the defensive side of the ball, Iowa is going to take the 3-4 yard plays because it's what they are good at. Getting off the field on third down will be key. If we are fundamentally sound with our tackling, we should be able to keep Iowa around 17-20.

I don't think turnovers are going to be as important as penalties. We can't put ourselves in obvious passing downs with dumb penalties. Conversely, Iowa is much less built to play behind the chains than we are.

I'm guessing we fall behind early due to conservative play calling (maybe trail 13-7 at half). Then we rally to win 24-23 with Purdy making a game saving scramble at a critical moment.

Clonefan23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 26, 2019
Wow....No need to get rude. Some of us admittedly aren't football gurus. Just appreciate analysis/strategies/game keys from those that do.
I agree with you. With Iowa's DL, Brock will have to get rid of the ball quickly. I expect Iowa will cover the short passing game pretty well. Hopefully Brock will get a few chances to take some shots down field.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I want to see Purdy rolling out and using his legs to maximize his abilities. I think we can slip our running backs and tight end out for some easy pitch and catches. That would also slow down the pass rush.

If Purdy creates havoc and different throwing windows without making a mistake like the UNI qb did to our defense, we’ll be in great shape. Perfect on FGs would help too

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I see it being a low scoring, close game. 17-14 or 20-17, somewhere in that range. I'm hoping the good guys come out on top but not particularly confident after week 1.

My biggest concern is our OL vs Iowa's DL. I hope that Purdy gets rid of the ball quickly and when there are deeper developing routes, he is rolling out.

I have a lot of confidence in our defense. It will be imperative that they force a turnover or two.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Iowa's defense will focus on creating pocket scenarios for Purdy/not letting him get outside...maybe a spy occasionally or something like that. They'll also likely focus on stopping the run and make ISU beat them over the top.

Hopefully ISU's got someone (or two) that can be that person that stretches a D for Saturday and going forward afterward.

I predicted Breece Hall would get going around Octoberish but wonder if he'll find some things even this week with a game of experience.

Defensively ISU will need to stay sound and keep their lanes, and not fall asleep on the back end. Offensively hopefully ISU doesn't try to do a bunch of things that take time to develop. Snap the ball and get it down field and let playmakers make plays.

I'm more interested in seeing if ISU is a little more ahead of schedule than the previous three years, i.e. maybe having that light come on by ULM instead of the first or 2nd conference game.

omar34

Mar 8, 2017
People need to stop using the UNI game as a benchmark. If tyou go back and watch the film there were actually a lot of positives to take away from that game that didn't show up on the scoreboard.
UNI is always a tough game, a lot of tough Iowa Farm boys! Plus they are very well coached! We need to be the tougher team on Saturday! Purdy needs to throw quick to eliminate pass rush!

Reactions: khardbored