Silver Lining

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Stunning game tonight, totally unexpected even if Wigg. had played. Downside of all the injuries/suspensions is the potential damage to the win record resulting in missing the tournament.

But, the positive is the younger players get game experience, learn to play important minutes and develop their confidence. This will pay off in conference play when there will be games they'll be needed in clutch time. Hopefully, it will result in winning games during conference play that otherwise may have been lost. It's also fun to see the youngsters develop before our eyes.

Oh yeah, how about giving coach Prohm and the staff some kudos for recruiting these guys and getting them to perform so well this early in the season in the hardest part of the game: defense!

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I agree. I don’t think prohm properly gave the depth valuable experience early in the year last year. He’s needing to do that out of necessity this year.

Hopefully the other guys can plug right in when they’re healthy and/or good behaved young lads.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I agree. I don’t think prohm properly gave the depth valuable experience early in the year last year. He’s needing to do that out of necessity this year.

Hopefully the other guys can plug right in when they’re healthy and/or good behaved young lads.

What depth did we have? We had 12 scholarship guys, two were sitting out, Brase dealt with injuries, and Lard was suspended.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Stunning game tonight, totally unexpected even if Wigg. had played. Downside of all the injuries/suspensions is the potential damage to the win record resulting in missing the tournament.

But, the positive is the younger players get game experience, learn to play important minutes and develop their confidence. This will pay off in conference play when there will be games they'll be needed in clutch time. Hopefully, it will result in winning games during conference play that otherwise may have been lost. It's also fun to see the youngsters develop before our eyes.

Oh yeah, how about giving coach Prohm and the staff some kudos for recruiting these guys and getting them to perform so well this early in the season in the hardest part of the game: defense!

This. Give these guys real game experience now and bring back the stars for conference play. Should be a fabulous recipe. If I’m prohm I’m keeping Wig out extended period to ensure his foot is good

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
This. Give these guys real game experience now and bring back the stars for conference play. Should be a fabulous recipe. If I’m prohm I’m keeping Wig out extended period to ensure his foot is good
We’ve seen that blending players in is sometimes more of a challenge. But I like our chances after seeing these guys play. BB IQ is high with the young ones.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I said it elsewhere, but I'll say it again. When we're back to full strength, there is no position where foul trouble will be devastating. We should be able to play full tilt, knowing that we have the pieces to keep playing our game.

Love the constant motion on offense. Love the rotations and pressure on defense. I think we're finally seeing what a Steve Prohm team is designed to do.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
What depth did we have? We had 12 scholarship guys, two were sitting out, Brase dealt with injuries, and Lard was suspended.

Yeah, pretty much had 7-8 guys to play for most of the later part of the season. Even at that, Babb was playing hurt, and so were a couple other guys. Hopefully this year will straighten out in December, because last year it looked like the managers were going to have to dress at the end.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

They didn't have enough people to practice 5 on 5 last year.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
This roster at full strength is arguably the 2nd most talented roster in the Big 12 and finishing 2nd isn’t out of the picture if they all click once they return.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
What I liked is that Prohm has seen this group willing and able to play defense. If the eventual starters struggle on defense he knows he has options to plug in when necessary.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Preface: Missouri is, well, they aren’t good.

Having said that, the freshman...all of them...look like they belong and they have great attitudes. Shayok and Jacobson look the be really good additions as well.

If I had to pick one, I’d saying Haliburton is it. I absolutely love this young man’s game. I know people (me included) were a little concerned about how skinny he is, as well as his shot. I am not even close to worried about those things anymore. He is so, so long. I think he is going to be a major problem for opposing back courts. He plays smartly, and can already tell he is a leader on (and off) the court. His attitude, which is awesome, is infectious.

THT, I think, is still trying to find his way offensively, but he plays really fundamental defense, and is really long as well. Fought really hard for rebounds last night, and got the best of his man all night.

Shayok’s D (and again...length) is also great to see. I feel like I don’t really have to sweat it when he goes to the FT line either.

With those 3 guys alone, opposing guards are simply going to have to work really hard to get their offense going. They are, to this point, suffocating, and I love it.

Moving to Jacobson, I can’t say enough about him either. He is just tough. A little undersized at times, but he’s a bulldog. Hustles, makes the right plays, and also looks to have an engaging, leader attitude.

Personally, I wasn’t sure if Griffin would be ready yet. I just thought he may be a little lost early in the season. So far, he is proving me wrong too. He played great last night. He has such a smooth stroke from outside. Not making a lot of open shots yet, but he made enough of them last night to make me think he will only get better there. If he does, he may well be a mismatch problem down the road too.

I do, really, hope that Lewis figures it out though. He is the one guy I’m not quite sure about. I was really hoping they would run some sets to get him open shots, but that didn’t happen, and he forced some that weren’t necessary. I like Lewis. I just want to see him more part of the offense when he’s in there. Perhaps he’s struggling with confidence. He also seems a little lost defensively at times. I just am not sure he knows what his role is on this team. At least not yet.

Conditt also plays well when he’s in there. I do think he’s probably a year away from being a major contributor, but I could very well be wrong there. Young guys with his frame typically look awkward. Like they are still trying to figure their bodies out. I don’t get that feeling with George. He looks to be in control. He needs another 20/25 pounds considering his position (unlike Haliburton), but he also has an infectious, positive attitude.

We do need Lard/Young back in a bad way. Jacobson, I fear, may wear down quickly without them.

Overall, I really like the new guys. All of them. Mostly due to their defensive intensity and overall great attitudes. Leaders.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Young and Lard aren't the greatest matched set but when Young was done the other teams smothered Cameron and our lack of shooting (especially for us) had us pushing the rock uphill every game.

Great effort mostly but little chance to win.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Young and Lard aren't the greatest matched set but when Young was done the other teams smothered Cameron and our lack of shooting (especially for us) had us pushing the rock uphill every game.

Great effort mostly but little chance to win.

True. Jacobson though will be a great compliment though. He can step out and shoot it. Also does a good job when he has to put the ball on the floor.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois

I agree with your negatives about Prohm. Luckily, however, that was Jeff Prohm.
Now we've got Steve again so no worries, we're going to have a great season.

• Funny
Reactions: h-man64

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This roster at full strength is arguably the 2nd most talented roster in the Big 12 and finishing 2nd isn’t out of the picture if they all click once they return.

Let's take a step back though. That's all a BIG "IF".

We're just going to assume Young will make it back (there were some rumors this was a season long thing he'll be battling with), Lard and Talley will get their act together (Lard especially has not shown he's learned from anything thus far, so when will it finally click?), and even Wigginton..... everything points to him being back fully healthy by probably December sometime, but will it then be a 100% Wigginton we get back for the rest of the season, or will he lose some of his explosiveness?

I give you the fact that if we get all these guys back and they're fully healthy, then watch out. We will be deep and very talented. Possibly 2nd only to KU in that respect.

But I'm holding my breath big time right now. A LOT of things all need to come together first.

Last edited:

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
But a lot of things always need to come together.

I completely agree, but the post I responded to said "...once they all return". I'm just saying we don't know if they will all return, or if they will be 100% when they do, that's all.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron