Sense of Urgency/Clock Management.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I took a class called Theory of Football taught be the legendary John Gagliardi. One thing he was adamant about was saving ALL of your timeouts for the end. You may need them and if you waste them, your chances of winning decrease. We burn timeouts a lot, today it bit us in the @ss. Also, we wasted a lot of time, we could have had at least one more possession if we didn't take so much time between plays down the stretch.

Reactions: SCarolinaCy

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
Got the ball with close to 4 minutes left. Shouldn’t have even needed timeouts.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
We still had two timeouts on the last possession. I thought running on 1st down with about 1:30 left was boneheaded. I also think Purdy should have gone out of bounds on the last 3rd down play and lived to fight on a 4th down with more than 30 seconds left.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I took a class called Theory of Football taught be the legendary John Gagliardi. One thing he was adamant about was saving ALL of your timeouts for the end. You may need them and if you waste them, your chances of winning decrease. We burn timeouts a lot, today it bit us in the @ss. Also, we wasted a lot of time, we could have had at least one more possession if we didn't take so much time between plays down the stretch.
The short play clock is Campbell. Iowa does it, Snyder did it. Less talented teams want to shorten the game, they do this by running the play clock low.

VoiceOfReason

Aug 21, 2016
Yeah, the way the ending played out was so bizarre. We were acting like we had all the time in the world until we suddenly didn't. Brutal way for the game to end when ISU should never have been in that position.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
We still had two timeouts on the last possession. I thought running on 1st down with about 1:30 left was boneheaded. I also think Purdy should have gone out of bounds on the last 3rd down play and lived to fight on a 4th down with more than 30 seconds left.

That run was the big mistake, I think the rest of the calls are fine. Maybe they were just trying to keep it simple after what they figured would be a big pileup after 4th down. That’s all I can think of, but that would be a pretty pathetic excuse.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I only caught the last 6 minutes but the play calling on the last drive, especially once we were inside the 50 was brutal. We ran the ball too much, took way too long to get to the line and get plays off and basically acted liek we had all the time in the world. It was basically the same **** as the Baylor game to where we wasted timeouts and ran down the clock to put our backs prematurely up against the wall. Then we have a 4 year starting quarterback that doesn't have the presence of mind to throw the ball away. You CANNOT take a sack there and that caused a wasted time out.

Simply put our coaching staff does a piss poor job of managing the game. Show some goddamned urgency and at least act like you've prepared to be, and learned from, these exact situations. Instead we do the same **** that's bit us in the ass time and time again.

Brutal way to end the game.

Help Support Us

Become a patron