Re Al

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Maybe not. But there won't be a defense in conference that porous. I can see in certain situations putting him out there. Who knows...maybe enough for the opponent to use a time out. He is that good.
I was thinking something along the same lines. We did it with Lanning with good success. Bringing Re Al in for situational necessity, such as you stated, as well as just getting the running game going is certainly feasible. Makes teams prepare twice as hard, and gives you so many options. Plus Re Al threw an accurate ball for that TD. He isn't just a run threat, although his speed is 10 out of 10. He needs to be on the field.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Glad he was able to get in the game. One injury away playing. I think it's another wrinkle to use his quickness to our advantage.

• Agree
Reactions: skibumspe

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
In my opinion Brock is not a pro player. He is simply outstanding in college. However, he does not have the arm strength that pro quarterbacks have

Your username is fitting...

Brock is a true Sophomore. 2 full years+ to work on Arm strength which might be the most over rated quality of a QB. Tom Brady Arm strength isn't good for a NFL QB and he's arguably the greatest QB in the history of the NFL.

Aside from that..Brock Arm strength is fine right now. I've seen a lot worse at ISU and in college. When Brock needs to zip the ball he does. What is more important is decision making and accuracy, which right now Brock is borderline Elite at.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
After yesterday even with a healthy Purdy going forward I think we will some situational Mitchell packages later this year.

Added bonus for ISU is the TD pass. Gives coordinators something to think about.

• Agree
Reactions: Cytasticlone

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Obviously nobody’s saying to have Re-al replace Brock but CMC always says he wants to get the best 11 players on the field and I think we saw today he could arguably be one of those 11 in whatever role it might be.

Can't afford to have him injured considering how much Purdy runs the ball. If we're down to the 3rd string QB, we're in big trouble.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I realize the competition was not at a high level but I thought Re Al looked great. Obviously from a physical standpoint but he also looked like he was comfortable out there and in charge.

I'll bet his presence wins a game for us this year.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Can't afford to have him injured considering how much Purdy runs the ball. If we're down to the 3rd string QB, we're in big trouble.
We can’t afford to lose him while playing meaningful snaps and giving the defense something to think about, yet we can afford to risk losing him while he plays in garbage time?

The “can’t play the backup QB because of injury risk” is largely a farce. Mitchell has the ability to be a playmaker, but he may not even be the backup qb if Purdy goes down.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
For this year, Re Al is our backup QB, so IMO, that's where he needs to stay. Sure, maybe you put him in there in short yardage packages or something, but for the most part he's going to be holding a clipboard on the sideline learning the QB position because that's where CMC needs him.... for THIS year.

Now.... next year could be an entirely different deal. What if, after summer practice, CMC determines that our #1 is Purdy, and #2 and #3 are either Dekkers/Bouman or Bouman/Dekkers.... and Re Al is now either #3 or #4 on the depth chart next season... then IMO he MUST be moved to get him on the field.

He is WAY to explosive with quickness and agility to be 3rd or 4th on the depth chart anywhere. I predict next season that either Dekkers or Bouman, or both, are going to prove themselves as worth of being #2 behind Purdy, and if that's the case I fully expect Re Al to be like a slot WR or something. They will HAVE to find a way to get the ball in his hands somehow.

• Agree
Reactions: besserheimerphat

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
He’ll take snaps in the NFL. Probably won’t have a long and huge stay career, but I could see him being like a Sage Rosenfels or Drew Tate kind of career.

Brock could be a Drew Brees. His accuracy made those long runs after catch as the receiver was timed and football was placed perfectly.

• Optimistic
Reactions: cyrocksmypants

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Realistically he should be used in 3rd & short/4th & short situations. While Brock is a good runner, Re Al brings an extra element that further stresses the defense in those situations that could benefit us.

I agree with this, I just recall the package we had for Joel being so freaking predictable.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron