Re Al

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
It would be a huge mistake to not use Re-al to supplement Purdy's play. Yes, Purdy can run, but what Re-al did on that 29 yard TD run, there is no one on the ISU team that can do that. He went from full speed going right, stopped, and broke that run to the outside and then ran by guys like they were glued to the turf, all on a not so great field. Threw a nice pass too. A guy that can create havoc with his feet is going to also make a lot of safeties and DBs let their coverage go to cover his runs.

Would hate him to get hurt, but honestly, if Purdy gets hurt, I don't see Re-al stepping in and keep things moving at the same pace. I guess the real question is how much trust do the coaches have in Kolar and the freshman, in case a QB gets hurt.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Really awesome to see Mitchell play. What an electric talent. I wish Ramos had blocked his assignment on his second and last pass attempt because I'd have loved to see what he'd have done there with a clean pocket. I thought the staff did a great job giving him quality reps (for a whole quarter!) while also giving opponents little film other than what they should already know, which is that he's fasssst.

Hate arguing about how the backup QB should be used after a 52-pt win. The coaching staff will do whatever is best.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Brock could be a Drew Brees. His accuracy made those long runs after catch as the receiver was timed and football was placed perfectly.
Woah slow your role. Brees is top 10-15 QB of all time via his stats. Plus he has a canon.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
When the game is on the line then you play your Number One QB. That is Brock Purdy. I want the football in Brock Purdy’s hands not the backup QB when we have a must have play.
You must have hated LanRam getting carries rather than DM, one of the best running backs ever to break tackles.

I don’t see anyone calling to not use Purdy when the game is on the line.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
For this year, Re Al is our backup QB, so IMO, that's where he needs to stay. Sure, maybe you put him in there in short yardage packages or something, but for the most part he's going to be holding a clipboard on the sideline learning the QB position because that's where CMC needs him.... for THIS year.

Now.... next year could be an entirely different deal. What if, after summer practice, CMC determines that our #1 is Purdy, and #2 and #3 are either Dekkers/Bouman or Bouman/Dekkers.... and Re Al is now either #3 or #4 on the depth chart next season... then IMO he MUST be moved to get him on the field.

He is WAY to explosive with quickness and agility to be 3rd or 4th on the depth chart anywhere. I predict next season that either Dekkers or Bouman, or both, are going to prove themselves as worth of being #2 behind Purdy, and if that's the case I fully expect Re Al to be like a slot WR or something. They will HAVE to find a way to get the ball in his hands somehow.

Re Al is transferring to Michigan?

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
If you can use RM for 5 or 6 snaps a game, that’s 5 or 6 fewer opportunities for an injury to Brock. If the game is on the line, Brock is our guy, no doubt. If we have a decent lead, why not reduce the exposure to Brock and increase the development of Mitchell? Also, I think Austin Flynn and Money Reynolds were QBs that switched to WR.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
If you can use RM for 5 or 6 snaps a game, that’s 5 or 6 fewer opportunities for an injury to Brock. If the game is on the line, Brock is our guy, no doubt. If we have a decent lead, why not reduce the exposure to Brock and increase the development of Mitchell? Also, I think Austin Flynn and Money Reynolds were QBs that switched to WR.

I think it would be crazy to not use Re-al in a limited capacity in games. Let's face it, if Purdy gets hurt, we are in serious trouble, and Re-al is probably not going to be a guy that just steps in and throws for 350 yards, unless he is way better than we think. The whole idea is to win games, and if he can come in and mix things up a little and score some points, it is well worth the risk.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Fair enough, but is there any reasonable expectation that those stalled drives would have finished differently if Mitchell had gotten it? Would the penalties have not happened? Would Mitchell have made a better read on the couple of 3rd and 4th and short plays against UNI?

I don't disagree that he should get on the field in some way. But it's not a simple as just putting him in and it will make the offense better. Plus, having some sort of "trick" package with him takes up practice time that could potentially be better used.
Brock made some bad reads on RPO the first two games unless they were called by Manning and not really options. He was flawless yesterday however. At the same time Mitchell is the best athlete on the team. He really should be on the field.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
We have an awesome starter in Brock Purdy. Build your offense around him, not his back up.

Just be glad if anything were to happen to Brock, it looks like we've got a formidable replacement.

No, I don't need to see us design special packages and try a bunch of fancy junk. Just run the offense that looked so crisp yesterday and we'll have a great season.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Which “other” guys are sitting on the bench never playing that are anywhere close to Mitchell? As has been stated by coaches, Mitchell is a better athlete than nearly all of those guys, as well as the WR and running backs you mentioned.

This is an offense that has repeatedly struggled to score and make big plays, even with guys like DM and Butler. Particularly against defenses that know what we run. It’s not complicated- like most playmaking backups, a guy like Mitchell would add value seeing the field at times with Purdy, and perhaps on a small number of plays without Purdy.
I don't know where you want him to play. We have 4 running backs already splitting carries, and Jirehl Brock looked good Saturday adding a potential 5th. We have the 2 best slot receivers this program has ever had that should be on the field as much as possible with Milton and Jones. I just don't think you can afford to take Purdy off the field. I think you are completely underselling how good he is. The only place Mitchell makes sense is as a kick returner. Maybe you could run some reverses or something with him, but you can go that with Milton or Jones will probably similar results.

Mitchell might very well be one of the most talented players on the team, unfortunately, the guys ahead of him at positions he could potentially play are Purdy, Milton and Jones.

• Agree
Reactions: NotJustMagic

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
If Clemson had a demonstrated struggling to score, including scoring just 1 TD in regulation against UNI with no big plays, they likely would find away to put potentially their best athlete on the field in some fashion. We harp on being multiple, getting Mitchell on the field is that.

One problem inherent in your assumption is that Re-al is the only “great athlete” available to the staff.

Another is the underlying assumption that a “great athlete” would solve what was wrong.

As demonstrated yesterday, “what was wrong” was emphatically remedied without trying to insert a quarterback into a position he’d never played before.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
You must have hated LanRam getting carries rather than DM, one of the best running backs ever to break tackles.

I don’t see anyone calling to not use Purdy when the game is on the line.

So we benched DM to play Lanning?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
One problem inherent in your assumption is that Re-al is the only “great athlete” available to the staff.

Another is the underlying assumption that a “great athlete” would solve what was wrong.

As demonstrated yesterday, “what was wrong” was emphatically remedied without trying to insert a quarterback into a position he’d never played before.
No one said he was the only great athlete.
He’s been reported as one of the best though. We don’t have many with his speed and wiggle that also make the defense defend a run/pass/catch option. You generally can benefit from getting on the field for some snaps one of your top-5 athletes that also happens to makes you more multiple. You can believe otherwise if you wish.

One problem inherent with your assumption that anything was remedied is that it was against a bad defense from the Sun Belt.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
No one said he was the only great athlete.
He’s been reported as one of the best though. We don’t have many with his speed and wiggle that also make the defense defend a run/pass/catch option. You generally can benefit from getting on the field for some snaps one of your top-5 athletes that also happens to makes you more multiple. You can believe otherwise if you wish.

One problem inherent with your assumption that anything was remedied is that it was against a bad defense from the Sun Belt.

You keep saying this....

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
So we benched DM to play Lanning?
You posted “I want the football in Brock Purdy’s hands not the backup QB when we have a must have play.”

You didn’t want the ball in DM’s hands when we needed a play but used Lanning?

Getting Mitchell on the field more doesn’t mean Purdy isn’t the guy, particularly when when it matters. Although we occasionally didn’t put the ball in DM’s hands when it mattered, so potentially we’d get creative with Mitchell in a few instances as well.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
He is shorter than Purdy. Purdy is damn good for a True Sophomore. Purdy was being dissed already that he won’t make pro because he is too short. I say BS.
Being short doesn't matter if you have a canon and can make things happen with your feet: Brees, Favre, Wilson. I don't really see Purdy as under sized. He adds 15 lbs of muscle without losing his speed and he is a viable option in the NFL IMO. Maybe not a starter but a solid decision maker who can do things with his feet as well. Brees is an all timer though. Hard to compare it at this point. Purdy is still young, and fairly inexperienced relative to a historically crisp QB like himself. He will be the all time great at ISU.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Being short doesn't matter if you have a canon and can make things happen with your feet: Brees, Favre, Wilson. I don't really see Purdy as under sized. He adds 15 lbs of muscle without losing his speed and he is a viable option in the NFL IMO. Maybe not a starter but a solid decision maker who can do things with his feet as well. Brees is an all timer though. Hard to compare it at this point. Purdy is still young, and fairly inexperienced relative to a historically crisp QB like himself. He will be the all time great at ISU.

Brees did not even start in college till his sophomore year. And Brees was perceived to lack arm strength in hid draft analysis. At this point in his college career Brock Purdy is ahead of where Brees was in his career. Freshman Starter. Very impressive start to his career. We have no idea how good Purdy may become. As of right now he is damn good.

Last edited:

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Rewatch the 29 yard TD where he was going full speed, stopped and went the other direction at full speed on a wet field, and still was flying by guys like they were in slow motion. As far as I know, ISU doesn't have anyone else close to that as far as I know.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron