Re Al

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
We can really use mitchell in a package similar to what lanning had.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Not convinced Brock is a pro. At least not a leave early pro. I think he's a 4-year guy who's records will never be broken and then be in the NFL as a back-up.
Brock is 6'1", 210lbs. That makes him small compared to most NFL QBs. Size is one of the things that pro sports rarely overlook. Teams will often take a guy who's 6'4" and 230lbs and assume they can coach him up over a guy who's Brock's size but a more polished QB.

I think he'll have the talent and resume to get a shot in a couple years, but any team that looks at him will list his size as a negative. He might get a little heavier, but it's unlikely he'll get any taller.

• Agree
Reactions: illinoiscyclone

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Which “other” guys are sitting on the bench never playing that are anywhere close to Mitchell?
Joe Scates, Darren Wilson and Darien Porter are three examples.

Who have all played wide receiver all of their lives, and are working their way into the rotation. I chose not to add Leonard Glass to that list for that reason.

And you want Re-al to take practice reps away from improving his skills and knowledge as the backup quarterback, to start out at ground zero at a brand new position? Genius.

Reactions: harimad and Cydkar

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Joe Scates, Darren Wilson and Darien Porter are three examples.

Who have all played wide receiver all of their lives, and are working their way into the rotation. I chose not to add Leonard Glass to that list for that reason.

And you want Re-al to take practice reps away from improving his skills and knowledge as the backup quarterback, to start out at ground zero at a brand new position? Genius.
Those guys aren’t at Mitchell’s level, particularly Wilson and Porter in terms of wiggle. They also don’t facilitate the multiple factor that Mitchell does. But did you notice they, as backups, still play because of their athletic ability. We can do the same with Mitchell.

Nice false dilemma. Reps that get Mitchell on the field are inherently more valuable to the team than otherwise. I’d imagine some, if not most, of those reps would be beneficial to what we’d run if Mitchell were forced to be the starting QB.

Last edited:

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Realistically he should be used in 3rd & short/4th & short situations. While Brock is a good runner, Re Al brings an extra element that further stresses the defense in those situations that could benefit us.

It would be interesting to see what he could do coming motion like Jones in those situations. We got pretty predictable with Joel, but he generally was able to get the first down. Just putting it in his hands once with a run/pass option would gain a lot of attention from the defense, setting things up nicely for Purdy to keep on future downs.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins

Purdy is 2nd in the country in passing efficiency. I don't think fans are appreciating how good he's been. I don't want him ever coming out of the game unless its a blowout like yesterday.

I agree with this. Brock Purdy has been comparable to, or better than Trevor Lawrence has been in their careers thus far. But I'd guess if someone suggested that Lawrence's backup should get some snaps for any reason, nearly everyone would laugh at them.

My question would be how they could use Mitchell that would actually provide enough value over alternative options that would actually make it worthwhile. For instance, I think some people think that Mitchell should be used in a way similar to Jones, but would Mitchell actually have any value over Jones in that role? Or if Mitchell comes in on short, running situations, is his running ability really enough better than Purdy's to trump Purdy's presumed decision-making advantage, plus the passing advantage? I might be wrong, but I don't think the answer to either of those questions is yes.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I think Re-al remains the backup and hopefully will get some more late game opportunities this season. I don't see Purdy going pro in 2021, but we will have two Freshmen that year who both look good. Depending on when they get to campus and how they look, I could see Re-al moved to the slot and play WR like Moses did years ago and just give more issues to defenses from there. If Purdy went down, Re-al could still play QB in a pinch if the new guys were not ready.
Red SHirt?

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Didn’t know it was still 1985.
I was trying to find a name that someone with the username “KnowNothing” would recognize.

That and the fact that A. Montana didn’t have the arm that Marino and Elway did, B. Jerry Rice wasn’t s peed burner, but Montana had a knock for hitting his receivers in stride—which Brock also does.

Oh, then there was the totally extraneous fact that Montana spent a lot of time handing off and passing to native Iowan Roger Craig—Breece Hall’s cousin, :rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I agree with this. Brock Purdy has been comparable to, or better than Trevor Lawrence has been in their careers thus far. But I'd guess if someone suggested that Lawrence's backup should get some snaps for any reason, nearly everyone would laugh at them.
If Clemson had a demonstrated struggling to score, including scoring just 1 TD in regulation against UNI with no big plays, they likely would find away to put potentially their best athlete on the field in some fashion. We harp on being multiple, getting Mitchell on the field is that.

Reactions: salennon07

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We are going to take snaps away from a guy who just broke the single game yardage record and scored 6 touchdowns in 3 quarters? Don't see it.

Yeah seeing Re al yesterday was good feels for knowing that there's legit talent behind the starter.

Conversely it provided the Meltdown Melvins around CF to turn on Purdy as soon as he has a tough outing.

I DO wonder if Brock works his way up or Hall too but I also don't have issues with who's out there.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
If Clemson had a demonstrated struggling to score, including scoring just 1 TD in regulation against UNI with no big plays, they likely would find away to put potentially their best athlete on the field in some fashion. We harp on being multiple, getting Mitchell on the field is that.

Fair enough, but is there any reasonable expectation that those stalled drives would have finished differently if Mitchell had gotten it? Would the penalties have not happened? Would Mitchell have made a better read on the couple of 3rd and 4th and short plays against UNI?

I don't disagree that he should get on the field in some way. But it's not a simple as just putting him in and it will make the offense better. Plus, having some sort of "trick" package with him takes up practice time that could potentially be better used.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

My question would be how they could use Mitchell that would actually provide enough value over alternative options that would actually make it worthwhile. For instance, I think some people think that Mitchell should be used in a way similar to Jones, but would Mitchell actually have any value over Jones in that role? Or if Mitchell comes in on short, running situations, is his running ability really enough better than Purdy's to trump Purdy's presumed decision-making advantage, plus the passing advantage? I might be wrong, but I don't think the answer to either of those questions is yes.
The only spot that it makes sense to use him is MAYBE kickoff return. I don't know if he's ever done that in his life though.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Fair enough, but is there any reasonable expectation that those stalled drives would have finished differently if Mitchell had gotten it? Would the penalties have not happened? Would Mitchell have made a better read on the couple of 3rd and 4th and short plays against UNI?

I don't disagree that he should get on the field in some way. But it's not a simple as just putting him in and it will make the offense better. Plus, having some sort of "trick" package with him takes up practice time that could potentially be better used.
Depends on the quality of the staff. Given the ability to make people miss, not too mention create schematic numbers advantages, there should be. Certainly worth trying, as the practice reps we spend are far less than what future opponents would spend on the same play.

Is there a reasonable expectation that those practice reps would have such a high cost? We do practice limited use plays as it is, might as well be one in which it’s getting one of the best athletes on the field and giving the defense something to prepare for. There’s also overlap with it getting Mitchell prepared.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Lol at people comparing it to using Lanning. Guys like Lanning, Bell, or earlier Tebow weren’t put into those situations on 3/4 and 1 because of their blazing speed or elusiveness like Re-al. They were put in because they were bruisers that ran north-south and just falling forward would get them the yard needed. Re-al is not that guy.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I think we line up with both in the backfield, then you never know which one is getting the snap. :D

• Agree
Reactions: SoapyCy

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Brock could be a Drew Brees. His accuracy made those long runs after catch as the receiver was timed and football was placed perfectly.

It's no small thing. Purdy is still young, so you know he still can improve a bunch with decision making, but he puts the ball where his receivers can get it as good as anyone in college football, and the sample size is growing.

ISU is in good hands. Feels good.

• Agree
Reactions: skibumspe

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Lol at people comparing it to using Lanning. Guys like Lanning, Bell, or earlier Tebow weren’t put into those situations on 3/4 and 1 because of their blazing speed or elusiveness like Re-al. They were put in because they were bruisers that ran north-south and just falling forward would get them the yard needed. Re-al is not that guy.
Lol, no one is calling for LanRam for Mitchell. Lanning has been brought up mostly by those thinking the fact Mitchell isn’t 230 like Lanning means Mitchell can’t be used.