Question about trucks ?

cyfreddy

Oct 15, 2006
I currently have a 2001 F150 Crew Cab, I am looking to downsize to a smaller pickup. I have looked at a few Chevy S10's anybody have anything information on if these are solid pickups or not ? I am also looking at something to help lower my payments, so any information will help.

P.S. My truck currently is a four door, prefer to stay that way if possible.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
My dad bought a S-10 2 door 2007 last spring, it was basically a no frills work truck and it gets the job done. Big gas tank, about 20-25 mpg on the highway ( I drove it to Detroit from cedar rapids in July ) I didn't need to stop for gas the entire way ( but I did have to stop to use the restroom)
I like that it is lower to the ground easy loading and unloading, though a crappy winter car w/o 4wd
But it drives nice and was pretty inexpensive

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
I have a Dodge Dakota Quad cab, my buddy drives a Chevy Colorado Quad cab and my co-worker drives a S-10 Quad cab. We all agree that the Dodge is the way to go and it also has the most interior room of the 3.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
New or used. What about one of the older Tundra's. They are smaller than the current model and more reliable.

I wouldn't buy a new chevy s-10 because of the depreciation but picking up a couple year old one would work.

ekim121

Apr 13, 2006
They made the s10 in a quad cab for a few years before the Colorado came out, so you could probably find one for a decent price. They were essentially the same for over 10 years and had the 4.3L which is uber reliable.

The dakotas were redesigned for 04 or 05, I can't remember which, but would definitely have the most room of all the 'small' trucks, and its the only with with an available v8. On the flip side, its a Dodge, so quality can be a bit iffy, but who am I to say, I drive a Jeep.

The Tacoma double cab would be a solid choice, but they're expensive enough that unless you found one with higher mileage you likely wouldn't lower your payments at all. Same story with the Tundra as that didn't come in a true double cab until 04 or somewhere around there.

The Nissan Frontier has actually had the crew cab around longer than any of the other small trucks. They redesigned for 02, but the ones prevous to that are nice as well. They have a 3.3L which is a higly regarded engine, but its going to be smaller on the inside than options like the dakota.

Sort of a lot of information, but if it were me I'd probably look for an S-10 as it'd be you best bet in terms of price and reliability.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
that new s-10 we got in may was like 15k and with the gm card we use for business we took like 3500 off that so it really wasn't that expensive

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
My sister drives a Dakota. It creaks more than a 76 Trans Am, she just replaced the transmission at 100K miles, and it gets about 16mpg. She likes it though.:skeptical:

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I have a '00 Dakota quad cab. Can't complain about it, although my wife does endlessly.

Only have the 4x2, so in slicker weather it's a task. Her main complaint is the heat during the winter. Doesn't really kick it out and the older ones don't have vents to the back seat. Don't know if the new ones do or not.

Otherwise, knock on wood - I haven't had much of anything go wrong with it in nearly 7 years and 75K miles. I'm sure I just jinxed myself. If I get another truck after this one, it'll definitely be quad cab. That's just too nice.

FWIW - I believe the Toyota Tacoma gets better ratings and reviews from Consumer Reports - if you put much stock in those things.

CYCLONE STATE

Dec 8, 2007
Clive
Tacoma or Tundra the way to go. I love my Tacoma-no problems ever. It may cost more up front but will save money in the end.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
I have a Dodge Dakota Quad cab, my buddy drives a Chevy Colorado Quad cab and my co-worker drives a S-10 Quad cab. We all agree that the Dodge is the way to go and it also has the most interior room of the 3.

The Dakota really isn't a whole lot smaller than a full size truck. I don't put a whole lot of faith in Dodge's stuff these days, even though I'm a Mopar guy (why oh why did they have to ditch the 727 transmission??? couple that with a 318 or 360 Magnum and you've got a pretty bulletproof combo).

Neighbor has Tacomas and swears by them. I've heard nothing but good stuff about them. Don't know if something like that would help lower your payments.

DareDevil

Nov 27, 2006
Muscatine
I have had my Danger Ranger for almost 5 years and I would have recommended it however after my sisters Exploder of the same year did just that... I would recommend the Tacomma it might be my next choice.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
You need a pickup like I need a kick to the groin. Trade that big gas guzzler in on a four-cylinder manual transmission commuter car that your sixteen Y/O can drive. Problem solved...

P.S. I know cyfreddy... :wink:

cyfreddy

Oct 15, 2006
You need a pickup like I need a kick to the groin. Trade that big gas guzzler in on a four-cylinder manual transmission commuter car that your sixteen Y/O can drive. Problem solved...

P.S. I know cyfreddy... :wink:

Welcome back iccyfan ! Yes, you are probably right, but for some damn reason I want a pickup or a suv. I just need something with low payments, and good gas mileage.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Welcome back iccyfan ! Yes, you are probably right, but for some damn reason I want a pickup or a suv. I just need something with low payments, and good gas mileage.

If those are the most important things to you, a truck is certainly not what youre looking for. Maybe one of those old Isuzu trucks or something, but nothing made in the last 15 years or so.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
OK, here's my 2 cents, which may or may not be worth what you paid for it......

I have owned 4 Chevy S-10's all 4wd and all with the 4.3 High output V6. They are bulletproof and if you have an ounce of mechanical knowledge are easy to work on. My current S10 is a red ZR2 with 186,000 miles on it and runs like new. They made an S10 quad cab but don't waste your money on the ZR6 suspension because the upgrade is not worth what you have to pay for it. They quit making the S10 in the first half of 2003.

Then they moved to the Colorado/Canyon and that is what I am going to buy when I get the next one. They now either have an inline 4 cylinder or 5 cylinder and they get mid 20's for gas mileage and have plenty of power. Z71 package is awesome and will be on mine with the quadcab and bigger tires.

This may not be a fair comparison, but I used to drive a Dodge Dakota for a work truck and had more problems with that truck then Micheal Jackson has gay tendencies. It was a 97 so I am sure they are much improved but it really isn't a midsized truck anyway since it is closer to a 1/2 ton in size. I would rather push my chevy pickup then to drive that Dodge except that is was free.

My second choice for midsized trucks is the Toyota Tacoma. They are very nice trucks as well but they are pricey to work on since a lot of their parts are only used on tacoma's and not other Toyota vehicles(I'll explain that one later). The cab is smaller then the Chevy/GMC trucks and are not as comfortable for me(I am 6'3). The biggest reason I am getting the Chevy/GMC is because Toyota only produces 130,000 Tacoma's world wide in a calender year so you can buy a two year old Toyota and pay almost new price. The demand is high but Toyota makes it worse by under producing them. You can buy a fully decked out Colorado that is 1-2 yrs old and pay 60% of what you would pay for the Tacoma that isn't as roomy as the Colorado. GM makes as many trucks as they can and so that makes them more affordable to us non rich folk. Plus GM has incentives and cash back programs to help out too. Toyota don't do that because they limit their production so they know their demand will stay high. They lost me when they made those decisions.

Ford has never been in the cards for me because I hate working on them and the cost a whole lot more to fix. Plus I don't really like the looks of the Fords for some reason.

As far as reasonable maintanance, GM has the best of the industry in my opinion. They have parts that can be used on other engines on other vehicles so they are easier to stock(or find) and they are cheaper because they are used more. For instance, most of you know one of the best chevy engines is the 350 V8. Well the 4.3 vortec V6 that is on my S10 is on the same block as the 350 only they cut off the last two cylinders(mold them without the back two cylinders) and a lot of the parts are interchangeable. The I4's and I5's are new engines though so I am not sure of how they work with parts and usability on other engines.

Don't know much about the Nissan's, Mitsubishi or other smaller trucks.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
OK, here's my 2 cents, which may or may not be worth what you paid for it......

I have owned 4 Chevy S-10's all 4wd and all with the 4.3 High output V6. They are bulletproof and if you have an ounce of mechanical knowledge are easy to work on. My current S10 is a red ZR2 with 186,000 miles on it and runs like new. They made an S10 quad cab but don't waste your money on the ZR6 suspension because the upgrade is not worth what you have to pay for it. They quit making the S10 in the first half of 2003.

Then they moved to the Colorado/Canyon and that is what I am going to buy when I get the next one. They now either have an inline 4 cylinder or 5 cylinder and they get mid 20's for gas mileage and have plenty of power. Z71 package is awesome and will be on mine with the quadcab and bigger tires.

This may not be a fair comparison, but I used to drive a Dodge Dakota for a work truck and had more problems with that truck then Micheal Jackson has gay tendencies. It was a 97 so I am sure they are much improved but it really isn't a midsized truck anyway since it is closer to a 1/2 ton in size. I would rather push my chevy pickup then to drive that Dodge except that is was free.

My second choice for midsized trucks is the Toyota Tacoma. They are very nice trucks as well but they are pricey to work on since a lot of their parts are only used on tacoma's and not other Toyota vehicles(I'll explain that one later). The cab is smaller then the Chevy/GMC trucks and are not as comfortable for me(I am 6'3). The biggest reason I am getting the Chevy/GMC is because Toyota only produces 130,000 Tacoma's world wide in a calender year so you can buy a two year old Toyota and pay almost new price. The demand is high but Toyota makes it worse by under producing them. You can buy a fully decked out Colorado that is 1-2 yrs old and pay 60% of what you would pay for the Tacoma that isn't as roomy as the Colorado. GM makes as many trucks as they can and so that makes them more affordable to us non rich folk. Plus GM has incentives and cash back programs to help out too. Toyota don't do that because they limit their production so they know their demand will stay high. They lost me when they made those decisions.

Ford has never been in the cards for me because I hate working on them and the cost a whole lot more to fix. Plus I don't really like the looks of the Fords for some reason.

As far as reasonable maintanance, GM has the best of the industry in my opinion. They have parts that can be used on other engines on other vehicles so they are easier to stock(or find) and they are cheaper because they are used more. For instance, most of you know one of the best chevy engines is the 350 V8. Well the 4.3 vortec V6 that is on my S10 is on the same block as the 350 only they cut off the last two cylinders(mold them without the back two cylinders) and a lot of the parts are interchangeable. The I4's and I5's are new engines though so I am not sure of how they work with parts and usability on other engines.

Don't know much about the Nissan's, Mitsubishi or other smaller trucks.

The 4.3 is a pretty bulletproof engine, agreed. Parts are much easier to find than Toyotas as well. Hopefully, if lowering the cost of ownership is a concern, parts for neither will be that important, since you shouldn't be needing parts.

The problem with all of those cash-back and incentive programs is that they immediately devalue your purchase. Say you walk in and buy a 30k truck for 22k dollars. That means the going price for a new truck is REALLY 22k dollars. The guy that bought one at or near sticker price a year ago suddenly has a vehicle that has depreciated for no reason other than the fact that there's a sale on new trucks. In effect, these sales just screw over the people who bought new trucks last year, which will be you next year. If you're looking to make a new vehicle purchase, re-sale value should be near the top of your list from a financial perspective (unless you're looking for a write-off for your business or something). The fact that the Tacoma and the Colorado cost about the same in terms of sticker price and 2 years later the Tacoma is worth a lot more than the Colorado should say something about that.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
The 4.3 is a pretty bulletproof engine, agreed. Parts are much easier to find than Toyotas as well. Hopefully, if lowering the cost of ownership is a concern, parts for neither will be that important, since you shouldn't be needing parts.

The problem with all of those cash-back and incentive programs is that they immediately devalue your purchase. Say you walk in and buy a 30k truck for 22k dollars. That means the going price for a new truck is REALLY 22k dollars. The guy that bought one at or near sticker price a year ago suddenly has a vehicle that has depreciated for no reason other than the fact that there's a sale on new trucks. In effect, these sales just screw over the people who bought new trucks last year, which will be you next year. If you're looking to make a new vehicle purchase, re-sale value should be near the top of your list from a financial perspective (unless you're looking for a write-off for your business or something). The fact that the Tacoma and the Colorado cost about the same in terms of sticker price and 2 years later the Tacoma is worth a lot more than the Colorado should say something about that.

I agree with everything you say, which is exactly why I will never buy any vehicle brand new. The only reason why I would buy one brand new is if I had the cash to buy the Tacoma when I drive it off the lot, otherwise, I will keep the truck I buy for 5 yrs or more so getting it cheaper in the sticker price is worth more to me then getting more when I trade it in. Buying a 1-2 yr old Colorado/Canyon for 2/3 of a Toyota and having a truck that I liked better when I test drove them this past summer makes more sense to me.

Now, it totally changes everything if I see the Tacoma they sold new last Jan, Feb or Mar that was fire engine red, had a 6-8" lift kit and good sized mudder tires. That truck was the nicest truck I have ever seen and all bets are off if I find another truck like that sitting at the dealership new with warranty covering all the aftermarket stuff they did. I still get goosebumps just thinking about that truck. Have seen it twice around Urbandale, Clive area since.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron