Post-game TCU celebration thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I continue to be curious why the offense is bleeding the play clock so low, so frequently. If you want to slow the pace to "shorten the game," or whatever the strategy, no big problem with that but they're cutting it close to delay of game A LOT.

Edit: Sorry, forgot this is the celebration thread. But still, makes me wonder.

Last edited:

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I thought it was the best our offensive line has played in a long while.

Same with the defensive line but I still cannot understand our unwillingness to rush more than 3. Add in the secondary got BURNT for huge plays when the whole purpose of dropping 8 is to not give up big plays.

Also, our offensive game planning and play calling leaves A LOT to be desired.

All in all, good road win. But didn’t need to be that close.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy and isufbcurt

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I continue to be curious why the offense is bleeding the play clock so low, so frequently. If you want to slow the pace to "shorten the game," or whatever the strategy, no big problem with that but they're cutting it close to delay of game A LOT.

Edit: Sorry, forgot this is the celebration thread. But still, makes me wonder.

I think it takes away from rhythm too. Like they get some things going and then reel back to wait forever to snap the ball instead of keeping the defense on their heels. Not saying they need to go Oregon style from a few years ago but some pace can help.

Reactions: cyclones500

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
On the positive side, we now have the talent to turn a 5 yard play into a 75 yard touchdown or a circus catch or a circus interception.

We have the talent to overcome bad play calls.
I’m actually hoping that particular interception was remarkable enough to reverse the karma, break the trend from last season.

• Agree
Reactions: kcbob79clone

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Blocking was very good on all the long runs. This with 2 starters out. That doesn't happen in past years. O-line was much better. Hopefully a return of starters will improve the pass blocking.

A lot of confusion on coverage in the middle. Needs to be corrected or personnel changes are needed. Good news, it doesn't look like a skill problem, just gross mental errors or lack of communication. I'm pretty sure on at least that second to last touchdown for TCU not every d-back was playing the same defense. I believe it was Young who lined up deep in the middle, but then jumped up to cover the flat. No one took deep responsibility. The point of a 3 man front is to blanket coverage with 8. There were holes for TCU to throw in to all day.

6 sacks rushing mostly 3 is awesome. Deep, and very good defensive line. I remember seasons in which we struggled to get 6 sacks.

Receivers were much better catching the ball. Still need to find someone to separate. Maybe Scates can offer that. Awesome catch, and he beat his defender. Didn't know Milton was out until I didn't see him. What's his status? Good to have Kolar back, but he doesn't look 100%.

Loved the kickoff way out the back of the endzone (our first kickoff). Still get nervous with trying to kick it to the 5. Only time that worked to our benefit was the final kick. Always a chance at a big play when you tempt the other team to run it. A strategy I wish the coaches would dump.

Still hate our "fair catch" strategy on punt returns. We block no one, which usually results in about a half dozen opponents standing a yard away while our player catches it. Any bobble is almost guaranteed to be a turnover. We also give up the chance at a big play and an average of 5 to 10 return yards.

That punt returner was dangerous. Generally good kicks, but one or two were scary.

Purdy was better, but not perfect. Very bonehead play trying to do too much. Still needs to learn to take the sack sometimes. Great improvement though, which I expect to continue.

The weirdness of this early season has led to a lot of upsets. Home field advantage is almost non existent with the lack of crowds or very small crowds. It may even be more difficult for the home team with no crowd.

The pirate will reek havoc in the SEC. It will be interesting to see if teams have to adapt defenses to counter a more Big 12 type of offense.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm and Aclone

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Blocking was very good on all the long runs. This with 2 starters out. That doesn't happen in past years. O-line was much better. Hopefully a return of starters will improve the pass blocking.

A lot of confusion on coverage in the middle. Needs to be corrected or personnel changes are needed. Good news, it doesn't look like a skill problem, just gross mental errors or lack of communication. I'm pretty sure on at least that second to last touchdown for TCU not every d-back was playing the same defense. I believe it was Young who lined up deep in the middle, but then jumped up to cover the flat. No one took deep responsibility. The point of a 3 man front is to blanket coverage with 8. There were holes for TCU to throw in to all day.

6 sacks rushing mostly 3 is awesome. Deep, and very good defensive line. I remember seasons in which we struggled to get 6 sacks.

Receivers were much better catching the ball. Still need to find someone to separate. Maybe Scates can offer that. Awesome catch, and he beat his defender. Didn't know Milton was out until I didn't see him. What's his status? Good to have Kolar back, but he doesn't look 100%.

Loved the kickoff way out the back of the endzone (our first kickoff). Still get nervous with trying to kick it to the 5. Only time that worked to our benefit was the final kick. Always a chance at a big play when you tempt the other team to run it. A strategy I wish the coaches would dump.

Still hate our "fair catch" strategy on punt returns. We block no one, which usually results in about a half dozen opponents standing a yard away while our player catches it. Any bobble is almost guaranteed to be a turnover. We also give up the chance at a big play and an average of 5 to 10 return yards.

That punt returner was dangerous. Generally good kicks, but one or two were scary.

Purdy was better, but not perfect. Very bonehead play trying to do too much. Still needs to learn to take the sack sometimes. Great improvement though, which I expect to continue.

The weirdness of this early season has led to a lot of upsets. Home field advantage is almost non existent with the lack of crowds or very small crowds. It may even be more difficult for the home team with no crowd.

The pirate will reek havoc in the SEC. It will be interesting to see if teams have to adapt defenses to counter a more Big 12 type of offense.

both teams were kicking it out of the end zone when kicking right to left. Neither team was getting it to the end zone when kicking left to right. I wasn’t there, but I’m assuming that’s a wind thing, not a strategy thing.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
This offense is having its struggles even though we averaged 8.3 ypc and scored 38 points. For instance our running game was all or nothing. We had 4 runs for 175 yards. The other 24 carries were for 38 yards. Gotta like the the big plays, but averaging 1.5 ypc on 80% of our carries is an issue.

On defense, we played pretty well but we are having big time issues in the deep middle. Just too many big plays between the hashes the first two games.

I have harped on it before, but IMO we should be playing a lot more 4-2-5 defense. It's misleading to say we are getting enough QB pressures based on 6 sacks. When we didn't get sacks, the TCU QB's felt little pressure. There are way too many passing lanes when only 3 DL rush. It also makes it easy for the QB to move around the pocket, when 2 of the DL get in the same area. Sure we can blitz- but I would rather have a big bodied DL bring pressure than a LB or DB.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC

THIS.

THIS.

• Agree
Reactions: 2020cy

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
both teams were kicking it out of the end zone when kicking right to left. Neither team was getting it to the end zone when kicking left to right. I wasn’t there, but I’m assuming that’s a wind thing, not a strategy thing.
Ah, makes sense had not noticed that. Perhaps they have changed their strategy on this after toying with it last year in response to rule changes.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Ah, makes sense had not noticed that. Perhaps they have changed their strategy on this after toying with it last year in response to rule changes.
I don’t think it’s ever been a strategy. I just don’t think we’ve had people with strong enough legs to consistently do it.

• Disagree
Reactions: isufbcurt

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
It has been a strategy. Make them catch it between the goalline and the 5 and outside of the hashes, then make the tackle before the 25.

Yes, two rule changes made this seem like a good strategy. Touchbacks moved to the 25, and the rule about no wall blocking on returns. I only remember seeing that called once in any game, so it hasn't been the factor everyone thought it would be. Rarely do we stop the opponent prior to the 25, and sometimes they score. Quit being cute, just kick it out. Thinking this hasn't been are strategy falls into the "our kickers suck" mindset. They really don't. This has been a coaching decision based on rule changes that hasn't worked out.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: isufbcurt

brycy

Apr 11, 2006
Was Eisworth our punt returner? If so I assume fair catches all year. Seems like we are giving yards away.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Was Eisworth our punt returner? If so I assume fair catches all year. Seems like we are giving yards away.
He was, but only because Milton was out. I kind of figured he was back there to only fair catch, much like when Lazard was the returner.

• Agree
Reactions: brycy and aauummm

aauummm

March is National Celery Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
It feels great to start off the conference season at 1-0. I can remember a lot of years when one conference win was all we got all year. Congratulations to the team and coaches. Keeping focus on football and studies during a difficult COVID year has been a real chore.

HTOWN Cyclone

May 27, 2018
This offense is having its struggles even though we averaged 8.3 ypc and scored 38 points. For instance our running game was all or nothing. We had 4 runs for 175 yards. The other 24 carries were for 38 yards. Gotta like the the big plays, but averaging 1.5 ypc on 80% of our carries is an issue.

On defense, we played pretty well but we are having big time issues in the deep middle. Just too many big plays between the hashes the first two games.

I have harped on it before, but IMO we should be playing a lot more 4-2-5 defense. It's misleading to say we are getting enough QB pressures based on 6 sacks. When we didn't get sacks, the TCU QB's felt little pressure. There are way too many passing lanes when only 3 DL rush. It also makes it easy for the QB to move around the pocket, when 2 of the DL get in the same area. Sure we can blitz- but I would rather have a big bodied DL bring pressure than a LB or DB.

2 bad snaps won us the game
we were getting lit up in the second half and we still only rushed 3 guys
look at the second half stats

it’s mind boggling we don’t bring more guys when we have good talent on the DL