OT - Cutting Cable

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Anybody familiar with NexGen for TV and internet bundling? Is this a basic cable / internet company? I need to be able to have 3 laptops going at once with a wireless router plus cable TV (3 smart TVs) that includes all of the Sports Channels (ESPN = FSN Channels) and all of the Cable News Channels (including Bloomberg and BBC) Any suggestions? fyi: I prefer a basic cable company that provides these services I need / want. Does Nex Gen fit that bill, or are they all about streaming (which I do not want to do). Looking in Downtown Des Moines area. Asking for a friend!

Last edited:

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
All set to make the move. Just got my antennas set up for OTA channels last night. After much consternation, I got it to the point where we get everything but channel 5 on both sets. Still trying to decide which streaming service I want to get.

Depends on how much tv you watch. If you are looking at sling orange and blue, I am guessing you watch a fair amount. I have really been pleased with PsVue. I’ve tried sling, dtvnow, Hulu live, YouTube tv and have always went back to PsVue. I cut the cord about 4 years ago. Using an amazon device with PsVue has a guide like no other service I’ve tried, and that is really nice when coming off of a cable or dish. The channels are great and you can pick between 3 packages depending on what you want plus there are add on channels like hbo, Cinemax, showtime, epic, etc. you can stream up to 5 devices at the same time and the best part is an unlimited cloud dvr, which to me is better than on demand because you can ff through commercials. Its base package is around $40, which is higher than most others, but the content is great is you want more channels.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Depends on how much tv you watch. If you are looking at sling orange and blue, I am guessing you watch a fair amount. I have really been pleased with PsVue. I’ve tried sling, dtvnow, Hulu live, YouTube tv and have always went back to PsVue. I cut the cord about 4 years ago. Using an amazon device with PsVue has a guide like no other service I’ve tried, and that is really nice when coming off of a cable or dish. The channels are great and you can pick between 3 packages depending on what you want plus there are add on channels like hbo, Cinemax, showtime, epic, etc. you can stream up to 5 devices at the same time and the best part is an unlimited cloud dvr, which to me is better than on demand because you can ff through commercials. Its base package is around $40, which is higher than most others, but the content is great is you want more channels.

We watch a ton, but we've had every channel under the sun, and still found ourselves watching mostly Netflix, Amazon Prime and HBO Now, so this is mainly something to cut down our costs while maintaining some of the options that we really don't want to give up.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Changed my mind from YTTV and just signed up for PSVue.
So far, so good. Went with Elite for $60. Pretty much have every channel I had with DTV at less than half the price.
Had Vue for over a year. Stream buffering got out of control the last few months and switched to YTTV, been happy so far other than a FireTV is now a fancy paperweight. Sony really needs to invest more in their backend if they want to keep up in this space

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Had Vue for over a year. Stream buffering got out of control the last few months and switched to YTTV, been happy so far other than a FireTV is now a fancy paperweight. Sony really needs to invest more in their backend if they want to keep up in this space

That was my other concern with that- I used a Sony DVD player to stream Netflix originally, and it was constant buffering. Then I read online that Sony insists on running everything through their servers, which creates a bottleneck. No idea if that's true, but there's sure enough people complaining to that effect. At any rate, I got a Roku and the issues cleared up immediately.

Reactions: Bader

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
That was my other concern with that- I used a Sony DVD player to stream Netflix originally, and it was constant buffering. Then I read online that Sony insists on running everything through their servers, which creates a bottleneck. No idea if that's true, but there's sure enough people complaining to that effect. At any rate, I got a Roku and the issues cleared up immediately.

I had the same issue. My Sony was a fine player, but really slow, even the UI in general. Roku blows that away.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Roku UI is so horrible, but the Apple TV remote is just the worst UX I have ever dealt with in a consumer product. I really just wish fireTV would work with youtube.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Roku UI is so horrible, but the Apple TV remote is just the worst UX I have ever dealt with in a consumer product. I really just wish fireTV would work with youtube.

Having a Roku and firetv, I feel the Roku UI is much easier for people to learn and navigate than the firetv.

They both have their place and pros/cons. It’s all personal preference.

I’ve had no issues with the Roku 4K stick. That being said I have 2 new 4K fire sticks ready to go if I need them.

I actually like the prime app on the Roku better than firetv. It separates the free content and lays it out better than the firetv.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
Has anybody tried any of the "hacks" to get YoutubeTV through an Amazon streaming product?

Vue seems to be buffering more for me recently, think I might try some trials on other services to see if I experience the same thing (internet speed issue) or if it is Vue that is lacking and causing the problem. Netflix and Prime Video all currently play seamlessly for me. Kind of stuck with Amazon products at my two main TVs. Maybe Hulu + Live TV is my next option after that based on comments here.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa

Any buffering issue of the past has been corrected. It currently scores as the best or second best for quality of stream and lack of buffering. Here’s a great article on it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.techhive.com/article/3327566/playstation-vue-revival.amp.html

derpyherky

May 11, 2018
Has anybody tried any of the "hacks" to get YoutubeTV through an Amazon streaming product?

Vue seems to be buffering more for me recently, think I might try some trials on other services to see if I experience the same thing (internet speed issue) or if it is Vue that is lacking and causing the problem. Netflix and Prime Video all currently play seamlessly for me. Kind of stuck with Amazon products at my two main TVs. Maybe Hulu + Live TV is my next option after that based on comments here.

Tried it. Not worth the hassle. Hulu live streamed better than ps vue for me. I had the same exeperice you are describing.

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
I mentioned much earlier in this thread, but has anybody else discoverd IPTV providers? Dirt cheap(20 - 25/mo) almost all channels available. We were using simplytv, but that was shut down again. Looking at using another IPTV. What are some of the other IPTV providers that you like using the SOplayer app?

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Having a Roku and firetv, I feel the Roku UI is much easier for people to learn and navigate than the firetv.

They both have their place and pros/cons. It’s all personal preference.

I’ve had no issues with the Roku 4K stick. That being said I have 2 new 4K fire sticks ready to go if I need them.

I actually like the prime app on the Roku better than firetv. It separates the free content and lays it out better than the firetv.

We have started to replace everything with Roku, I just need to get used to it, and not get the cheapest ones, they buffer too much.

• Agree
Reactions: derpyherky

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I mentioned much earlier in this thread, but has anybody else discoverd IPTV providers? Dirt cheap(20 - 25/mo) almost all channels available. We were using simplytv, but that was shut down again. Looking at using another IPTV. What are some of the other IPTV providers that you like using the SOplayer app?

Oh you mean those providers who pirate from other services and then resell it as theirs?

Ever wonder why they keep those services keep getting shut down?

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
Questions for those that have used Hulu.

I just signed-up for the free trial, and their website lists ABC as on demand. When I go to the app I cannot find it. Any tips?

Help Support Us

Become a patron