OT - Cutting Cable

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
What device? I use the ABC app with Hulu on Fire TV and Android.

I was on the Hulu app for iPhone. I haven’t looked for it on my LG TV yet. So when watching ABC live you use ABC’s app?

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I was on the Hulu app for iPhone. I haven’t looked for it on my LG TV yet. So when watching ABC live you use ABC’s app?

I only use the app when watching ABC on demand. I can't use the app to stream live in my area. I use OTA if I want to watch ABC live.

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
I only use the app when watching ABC on demand. I can't use the app to stream live in my area. I use OTA if I want to watch ABC live.

Got it. That’s likely my case then, don’t really need ABC live frequently only for some sports and then my wife needs it for the season finale of the bachelor lol.

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
One small correction. I can stream ABC live thru the Hulu app.

Thanks. Yea, looks like ABC live is not available in my area yet... kind of sucks with the nba playoffs going on right now, but using Hulu live would make my monthly expense go from from $125 to $70. That’s a lot of extra beer money!

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Ehhh, that headline is a stretch. Half the article is complaining about T-Mobile's service, which is straight up traditional cable hell.

Bundling channels is not cable's problem. Deceptive billing, forcing you to rent ****** equipment, and locking you into contracts are the problems with cable/satellite. OTT services solve all three of those.

If Mediacom made a Tablo like solution where apps on smart devices talked to a single box connected to the coax (that I could straight up buy), dropped all the dumb ass fees from their bills, and let me start/stop service from their website I'd include them in the pool of TV providers I consider without hesitation.

OTT services were supposed to disrupt the TV provider market and they've done that. Only want to use them during whatever sports season you care about? Decide they are charging too much? Annoyed they aren't supporting new devices? Notice a drop in the performance of their product? Perfect, click the start/stop button on their website.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Ehhh, that headline is a stretch. Half the article is complaining about T-Mobile's service, which is straight up traditional cable hell.

Bundling channels is not cable's problem. Deceptive billing, forcing you to rent ****** equipment, and locking you into contracts are the problems with cable/satellite. OTT services solve all three of those.

If Mediacom made a Tablo like solution where apps on smart devices talked to a single box connected to the coax (that I could straight up buy), dropped all the dumb ass fees from their bills, and let me start/stop service from their website I'd include them in the pool of TV providers I consider without hesitation.

OTT services were supposed to disrupt the TV provider market and they've done that. Only want to use them during whatever sports season you care about? Decide they are charging too much? Annoyed they aren't supporting new devices? Notice a drop in the performance of their product? Perfect, click the start/stop button on their website.

Until there is true a la cart programming available I'll never be satisfied. I hate the idea of paying for certain channels (B1G network, SEC network, Spanish channels (I don't speak Spanish)) I don't want. Don't tell me I have 250 channels and give me 80% that I will never watch, including shopping channels (100% commercials in my opinion) and about 30% that I am strongly opposed to supporting.

Not saying you don't make some great points, but we're not where I want to be. Maybe we'll never get there, but I get the complaint in the article.

• Agree
Reactions: STATE12

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Until there is true a la cart programming available I'll never be satisfied. I hate the idea of paying for certain channels (B1G network, SEC network, Spanish channels (I don't speak Spanish)) I don't want. Don't tell me I have 250 channels and give me 80% that I will never watch, including shopping channels (100% commercials in my opinion) and about 30% that I am strongly opposed to supporting.

Not saying you don't make some great points, but we're not where I want to be. Maybe we'll never get there, but I get the complaint in the article.
The only way you'll get that is if content creators all roll out their own distribution networks. You don't want it. Warner Brothers and Disney just announced their own streaming services. Lets say more studios get on board and Universal and Dreamworks try the same thing. As carrier contracts start wrapping up, what if Disney pushes more "tier one" sports broadcasting to ESPN+? You want to create accounts for 15 different systems?

You will never see carriers give you the options of $5 a month for ESPN, $0.50 for Discovery, $2 for Nickelodeon. They need to attract the largest part of the market, and that market is not people who want to sit and think about each channel they want

• Agree

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Had PS Vue for a while and really liked it. But we temporarily own homes in two different states and they wanted me to have separate accounts for each. Nope. Switched to YTTV and have been very happy with it.

Between YTTV, Netflix, Prime, Hulu and I also signed up for Philo for Viacom channels, I'm probably not saving that much money. But I've got way more flexibility and control and I'm still glad I cut the cord.

• Agree
Reactions: jdcyclone19

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
dropping directv today. Is YTTV the consensus for streaming options?

Depends on if you need sports or not.

No sports = Philo

Hulu live or YTTV are the best options.

Hulu live is a little cheaper but YTTV has better features. However, I need to do some more digging now into PS vue since YTTV has raised its price.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Had PS Vue for a while and really liked it. But we temporarily own homes in two different states and they wanted me to have separate accounts for each. Nope. Switched to YTTV and have been very happy with it.

Between YTTV, Netflix, Prime, Hulu and I also signed up for Philo for Viacom channels, I'm probably not saving that much money. But I've got way more flexibility and control and I'm still glad I cut the cord.
Currently have the same set up. Would love to get ride of YTTV and Philo to just do hulu live but the UI, the dvr limitations and pausing/ff on hulu have prevented me from doing so.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
After this non conf bball season, I'll be getting rid of mediacom cable as the only reason I've kept it around is for CyclonesTV. It's almost overwhelming all the options beyond that, so hopefully people can explain to me come fall!

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
After this non conf bball season, I'll be getting rid of mediacom cable as the only reason I've kept it around is for CyclonesTV. It's almost overwhelming all the options beyond that, so hopefully people can explain to me come fall!

Easy, if you want sports, HuluTV or Youtube.tv. I get all the channels ISU is on with YTTV.

• Agree

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron