OT - Cutting Cable

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
So, switching gears, if faced with having to make a decision to add all of the ESPN + FSN + All Sports + News Stations (like Bloomberg, MSNBC, CNN, etc.) stations for 3 TVs (one smart, one new but not smart + one old and dumb), which service would be the easiest to order, setup and not be a constant pain for a 50 something who really doesn't want to give up his cable but is forced to do so? :)

Youtube and hulu tv are the easiest, if your TV or steaming device supports them. Youtube.tv is really easy.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I’d add that most cable/satellite companies charge more to set up a box for each TV...streaming avoids that nonsense as well, since you can hook up a ROKU to each dumb tv. YTTV even gives you 6 different/separate accounts I believe (we only use one as a household).

You’re also not disclosing your internet speed. If it’s Ike 10mb or less, I’d say there’s reason for revolt.

6 Streams not accounts, I have 4 tv's and 5 phones all tied to my account. As long as they are all not in use at once we are good.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Anybody who has directv now switching now that the price is going up and we’re losing channels? I’m trying to figure out what I’m going to do now. I get the free Hulu with my sprint wireless plan and I only watch Discovery, ESPN (F1 racing) and NBCSN (Indycar) I would like FSN Midwest for Cardinals games. Should I just switch to Hulu live or would something else get me what I want for less?

StormnClone58

Jan 24, 2008
West Des Moines
Anybody who has directv now switching now that the price is going up and we’re losing channels? I’m trying to figure out what I’m going to do now. I get the free Hulu with my sprint wireless plan and I only watch Discovery, ESPN (F1 racing) and NBCSN (Indycar) I would like FSN Midwest for Cardinals games. Should I just switch to Hulu live or would something else get me what I want for less?

Yep, switched to sling this weekend as they are running a promo right now for the first 3 months for $25/month. Half the price of dtv now and most of the channels we are losing.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

Compare Hulu TV and Youtube.tv for sports.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa

You might not get the sprint discount for Hulu live, just the normal Hulu. If you do get the discount Hulu live is pretty solid. SlingTv has the best price for what you’re looking for unless you get the Hulu discount for live too. What steaming device do you have?

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Did you have the $35/month price for life deal?

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
You might not get the sprint discount for Hulu live, just the normal Hulu. If you do get the discount Hulu live is pretty solid. SlingTv has the best price for what you’re looking for unless you get the Hulu discount for live too. What steaming device do you have?
Right now that's looking like my best bet I think. Philo looks pretty great for everything but sports. If I didn't want to watch racing on TV I would just pull the trigger on that but I'd lose F1 on ESPN and Indycar on NBCSN. The F1 thing would be easy to get around because they have their own streaming package that's $6 a month if I buy it for a year at a time. Indycar would be tougher since they don't have similar thing.

Did you have the $35/month price for life deal?
I'm paying $40 right now for Directv Now. I think that bumps up to $50 soon but I get to keep my channel lineup as long as I don't change anything. Once I change something I lose Discovery networks.

Jmarsh13

Sep 28, 2006
Right now that's looking like my best bet I think. Philo looks pretty great for everything but sports. If I didn't want to watch racing on TV I would just pull the trigger on that but I'd lose F1 on ESPN and Indycar on NBCSN. The F1 thing would be easy to get around because they have their own streaming package that's $6 a month if I buy it for a year at a time. Indycar would be tougher since they don't have similar thing.

I'm paying $40 right now for Directv Now. I think that bumps up to $50 soon but I get to keep my channel lineup as long as I don't change anything. Once I change something I lose Discovery networks.
Sling Blue would get you Discovery and NBCSN for $25/mo for 3 streams. $5/mo extra if you want DVR.

Can always switch from Sling Blue to Philo for months when Indy Car is not in season to drop down to $16/mo.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'm slowly acclimating my wife to the idea. We have Netflix and HBO Now, so I think the next step will be to hook up an antenna for the locals. We do that, and I think she'll realize that we spend a couple hours a week on all the rest.

Edit- also Amazon

Last edited:

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I'm slowly acclimating my wife to the idea. We have Netflix and HBO Now, so I think the next step will be to hook up an antenna for the locals. We do that, and I think she'll realize that we spend a couple hours a week on all the rest.

When I switched to streaming almost 2 years ago it was pretty eye opening how little we actually utilized our DTV package.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Between my wife and I, sister, brother, and parents. We split Netflix Standard ($12/month), College Student Spotify (includes Showtime and Hulu for $5/month) and YouTube TV ($40/month)

In total its like $60/month split between 5 people. I pay 1/3 and my parents pay the rest until my siblings leave college (3 more years minimum). So I pay around $20 for Netflix, Hulu, Showtime, Spotify, and YouTubeTV. It's a silly amount of content!!

*Internet with Mediacom (1TB data limit, 100mb speed) is $40/month but I'd being paying for that regardless of my TV bundle

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Having tried ChromeCast, Firestick and now the latest Apple TV, I am so frustrated at the prospects of 'cutting cable', that I'm back to paying Comcast $140 / mo.
I never found chord-cutting to be cost effective; I gotta pay for high-speed internet (to the cable company), then pay up to $40 / mo for any streaming service, which means I'm about $20 less than my comcast fee.
I found the cable interface to be the most efficient and fastest for channel surfing and I have a DVR which for my habits is a necessity. for 20-bucks that's worth it.

I hate comcast, but they got me by the balls and i surrender.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Between my wife and I, sister, brother, and parents. We split Netflix Standard ($12/month), College Student Spotify (includes Showtime and Hulu for $5/month) and YouTube TV ($40/month)

In total its like $60/month split between 5 people. I pay 1/3 and my parents pay the rest until my siblings leave college (3 more years minimum). So I pay around $20 for Netflix, Hulu, Showtime, Spotify, and YouTubeTV. It's a silly amount of content!!

*Internet with Mediacom (1TB data limit, 100mb speed) is $40/month but I'd being paying for that regardless of my TV bundle

How much of that data do you use? We have used 1TB of data without cutting the cord. The only thing slightly holding me back, besides being old and not liking change.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
How much of that data do you use? We have used 1TB of data without cutting the cord. The only thing slightly holding me back, besides being old and not liking change.

In the last 30 days our AppleTV has used 360 GB of data (we currently use YouTubeTV). Looks like another 40 GB from our FireTV which would have to be from Netflix etc, so 400 GB a month?

That's two adults both working fulltime, so nights and weekends

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
In the last 30 days our AppleTV has used 360 GB of data (we currently use YouTubeTV). Looks like another 40 GB from our FireTV which would have to be from Netflix etc, so 400 GB a month?

That's two adults both working fulltime, so nights and weekends

I have 2 adults, me and the mrs. plus two HSers and one fifth grader. I will see the kids pull up netflix on an ipad or something and walk by later with them sleeping and it still running so I know some is wasted.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Having tried ChromeCast, Firestick and now the latest Apple TV, I am so frustrated at the prospects of 'cutting cable', that I'm back to paying Comcast $140 / mo.
I never found chord-cutting to be cost effective; I gotta pay for high-speed internet (to the cable company), then pay up to $40 / mo for any streaming service, which means I'm about $20 less than my comcast fee.
I found the cable interface to be the most efficient and fastest for channel surfing and I have a DVR which for my habits is a necessity. for 20-bucks that's worth it.

I generally avoid Apple products, be we have an Apple TV (that I got as a promotion from SlingTV) on our "dumb" TV, and it works flawlessly with Sling. The only thing that ticked me off was the expensive "Channels" app I had to buy to access my HDHomeRun, but that was a one-time fee, and it too works great.

• Agree
Reactions: Go2Guy

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa

I use YTTV and Philo. During the summer months, I only use Philo. When FB season starts I resubscribe to TYYV. I might just go to hulu live and drop philo if the new user interface is a big improvement.

I started with Sling but had picture quality issues, then DTN. After DTN I went to hulu live, which I liked once I got use to the interface but have been with YTTV the last 2 months when hulu live raised their price.

Philo has been a staple and works great! Well worth the $16.

Last edited:

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
I'm not real thrilled about Directv Now raising prices but at least they are grandfathering existing subscribers to their existing package, though I don't think that will last very long.

My issue is that my sports watching is limited to college football & basketball, so I like having some ESPN access. Considering dropping to Sling during the sports seasons and then switching to Philo the rest of the year.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX

I do everything that you do for $85/mo for high speed internet, and DirecTVNow, plus my Netflix. My DTVN has DVR. I'll never go back to cable.

• Agree
Reactions: STATE12 and Go2Guy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron