*** Official SELECTION SUNDAY Thread ***

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
This is one of my things. College sports are big money sports and they should invest in officiating. I realize that refs are humans and we all make mistakes but it doesn’t have to be this bad. Investing in refs would improve the overall product.
Or fans could stop expecting the refs to be perfect, never miss a call and always give their team the benefit of the doubt on a 50/50 call.

If you missed your teams game and watched it on DVR but they fuzzed over the faces and changed the teams uniforms so fans didn't know it was their team, most fans wouldn't have nearly as many complaints about the performance of the refs.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Does everyone feel the NET rankings were better than RPI? I think it was a big improvement. Committee also did the right thing keeping Texas and Indiana out. Had no beef with it.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Do you think the extra month of practice football teams get for going to minor bowl games is not valuable for the next season?
Eh, idk. Maybe. Do you think our 2017 football team wins more games if they had practiced the December before? Not saying it’s not benifical at all, but not sure it makes a huge difference by any means. Plus West Virginia is paying thousands of dollars to be in that tournament to play crappy mid majors.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Eh, idk. Maybe. Do you think our 2017 football team wins more games if they had practiced the December before? Not saying it’s not benifical at all, but not sure it makes a huge difference by any means. Plus West Virginia is paying thousands of dollars to be in that tournament to play crappy mid majors.

I don’t think it hurts.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Or fans could stop expecting the refs to be perfect, never miss a call and always give their team the benefit of the doubt on a 50/50 call.

If you missed your teams game and watched it on DVR but they fuzzed over the faces and changed the teams uniforms so fans didn't know it was their team, most fans wouldn't have nearly as many complaints about the performance of the refs.

I don't think the refs are biased (usually). They just are bad.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006

I've read many times coaches referring to the extra practice before a bowl game as carrying over positively into the next season so, yes, it is beneficial because the people who observe players' progress have concluded that it is.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Potential sweet sixteen v Kentucky is a bad matchup for ISU. But I think they can get there and after that you just have to be better on that day.

I thought TCU not getting was dumb and also thought giving three #1s to ACC was dumb. MSU should have gotten one over UNC. Couple other seedings were odd as well.

iamacyfan

Mar 11, 2019
Iowa
I am expecting to hear the Iowa fans making comment that they are a better conference because they have more teams going to the tournament then any other conference. Are they better or is it just the two Michigan teams?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Potential sweet sixteen v Kentucky is a bad matchup for ISU. But I think they can get there and after that you just have to be better on that day.

I thought TCU not getting was dumb and also thought giving three #1s to ACC was dumb. MSU should have gotten one over UNC. Couple other seedings were odd as well.
We'll have two win two tough games for it to matter, but I would have rather had either of the Michigan schools as the #2 seed. Imo we also got the most difficult #3 seed.

Reactions: Halincandenza

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Does everyone feel the NET rankings were better than RPI? I think it was a big improvement. Committee also did the right thing keeping Texas and Indiana out. Had no beef with it.

They had some good wins but losing 12 of 13 in one stretch should probably eliminate you.

• Agree
Reactions: LindenCy

moores2

Nov 9, 2018

I find myself watching games that I have no interest on who wins, and still getting upset on how games are called. That Kentucky Tennessee game was horrendous.

• Winner
Reactions: NoCreativity

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I don't think it was their NET scores that kept Texas and Indiana out of the tourney. It was their terrible resumes compared to the rest of the bubble teams. Indiana had a higher NET than the Ohio State team ISU opens against as well as Temple, Arizona State, Seton Hall and Minnesota who all made the tourney. Texas was a robust 38 in the NET, ahead of a number of teams that made the tourney.

• Informative
Reactions: CloneGuy8

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines

Not true at all. I watch many other games from many conferences during the season and officiating is equally as bad everywhere. When Im yelling stuff at my TV while watching an AAC game because there is nothing else on you know we have an officiating problem.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015

Carolina has a WAY better resume than Michigan State. They beat Duke twice as well as Gonzaga.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Not true at all. I watch many other games from many conferences during the season and officiating is equally as bad everywhere. When Im yelling stuff at my TV while watching an AAC game because there is nothing else on you know we have an officiating problem.
Meh, fans always think they are better at officiating. If it sucks universally then it is at least consistent.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I don't think it was their NET scores that kept Texas and Indiana out of the tourney. It was their terrible resumes compared to the rest of the bubble teams. Indiana had a higher NET than the Ohio State team ISU opens against as well as Temple, Arizona State, Seton Hall and Minnesota who all made the tourney. Texas was a robust 38 in the NET, ahead of a number of teams that made the tourney.
Right, but I thought the committee still did a good job not putting them in based on their NET. It’s not a perfect ranking system, but it’s much better than rpi.

• Agree
Reactions: RRRunotEntertained