NFL: ***Official Offseason Thread***

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I can't believe that all the Steelers could get for him was a 3rd and 5th rounder especially with still having to take the cap hit too. The Raiders are stocked with draft picks this year with 3 first rounders (#4, #24, #27) along with a 2nd rounder at #35. Not surprised they couldn't get a 1st rounder for Brown but you'd think someone out there would have sent a 2nd rounder for a top 5 WR in the league even with his baggage.

Chiefs released Justin Houston which I figured they would since they are going from a 3-4 to 4-3 defense and cutting him saves $14 mil in cap space for a guy that just turned 30 and has had some injuries that probably has slowed him down a bit. He's basically a man without a position with the Chiefs going 4-3 as he's probably not big enough for DE and not fast enough to play OLB in that scheme. Plus they have tagged Dee Ford who essentially is the same type of player and a couple years younger. Chiefs have a lot of holes to fill on defense so that money is going to be needed to get multiple players.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I can't believe that all the Steelers could get for him was a 3rd and 5th rounder especially with still having to take the cap hit too. The Raiders are stocked with draft picks this year with 3 first rounders (#4, #24, #27) along with a 2nd rounder at #35. Not surprised they couldn't get a 1st rounder for Brown but you'd think someone out there would have sent a 2nd rounder for a top 5 WR in the league even with his baggage.

Chiefs released Justin Houston which I figured they would since they are going from a 3-4 to 4-3 defense and cutting him saves $14 mil in cap space for a guy that just turned 30 and has had some injuries that probably has slowed him down a bit. He's basically a man without a position with the Chiefs going 4-3 as he's probably not big enough for DE and not fast enough to play OLB in that scheme. Plus they have tagged Dee Ford who essentially is the same type of player and a couple years younger. Chiefs have a lot of holes to fill on defense so that money is going to be needed to get multiple players.

I think it was Brown's desire for a new contract that scared teams off. If he had been willing to play out his current deal or at least play one year in a prove-it type of scenario then he would have drawn much more interest around the league. By the end the Raiders were the only interested party, so they had all the leverage.

Justin Houston was a lock to get traded or cut with the cap hit he was going to carry into next season. It was just a numbers crunch. The Chiefs have too many young guys about to get paid that they needed to worry about. They have to take care of Tyreek Hill, and Mahomes will be eligible for an extension after next season. They have to get younger and move on from some veterans. I think they would have cut Eric Berry too if he wasn't going to be a 14 million cap hit for them next season whether he's on the team or not.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Brown completely poisoned the well with this trade. If he had just kept his mouth shut and only demanded a trade, the Steelers might have gotten a late 1st or at least and early 2nd round pick for him. Instead they got bent over and took whatever the could to end the situation. So disappointed in Brown. I thought he was a good guy, at least that's what he seemed to be for so many years. I'm sure there were some issues with Roethlisberger, but Brown put the blame on everyone but himself. Glad it's over but the Steelers got ripped off.

Brown went from beloved by the Steeler fanbase to possibly one of their most hated former players in the span of a few months. In the end it seems like all he wanted was a new contract with guaranteed money, which he wouldn't get with the Steelers with 3 years left on his deal. I hope he enjoys the pin point passing of Derek Carr.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I think it was Brown's desire for a new contract that scared teams off. If he had been willing to play out his current deal or at least play one year in a prove-it type of scenario then he would have drawn much more interest around the league. By the end the Raiders were the only interested party, so they had all the leverage.

Brown also threatened to not report to Buffalo if that deal had gone through, so teams knew they had to comply with all his demands for the trade to be worth anything. What a douche nozzle.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Brown completely poisoned the well with this trade. If he had just kept his mouth shut and only demanded a trade, the Steelers might have gotten a late 1st or at least and early 2nd round pick for him. Instead they got bent over and took whatever the could to end the situation. So disappointed in Brown. I thought he was a good guy, at least that's what he seemed to be for so many years. I'm sure there were some issues with Roethlisberger, but Brown put the blame on everyone but himself. Glad it's over but the Steelers got ripped off.

Brown went from beloved by the Steeler fanbase to possibly one of their most hated former players in the span of a few months. In the end it seems like all he wanted was a new contract with guaranteed money, which he wouldn't get with the Steelers with 3 years left on his deal. I hope he enjoys the pin point passing of Derek Carr.

No doubt about it. That guy is maybe the biggest turd in the NFL. The Steelers aren't without blame. How long did they put up with the diva behavior and the practice and meeting no-shows, etc? Tomlin is a good coach but his seat ought to be at least a little warm going into next season.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

Seen Chiefs fans on social media that were wanting Brown or Bell, I say no thanks to either of those 2 divas regardless how talented they are. Both want a ton of money and just aren't worth the headaches and baggage. I hope the Raiders suck again next year so Brown can ***** some more. Both really screwed over the Steelers.

I'm holding out hope that maybe the Chiefs are in a spot where they can draft David Montgomery if he's there in the 3rd round. I know they just signed Hyde to pair with Williams but I would not be surprised if they still take a RB in this draft after taking some defensive players with their 1st and 2nd round picks. DM had similar combine numbers to Kareem Hunt's and I'd love to see him in a Chiefs uniform as he would be a nice fit in that offense I think.

Reactions: 2020cy

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
No doubt about it. That guy is maybe the biggest turd in the NFL. The Steelers aren't without blame. How long did they put up with the diva behavior and the practice and meeting no-shows, etc? Tomlin is a good coach but his seat ought to be at least a little warm going into next season.

Unfortunately there are only so many top tier QBs in the league and the Steelers are siding with Ben.
I think the diva behavior is the big issue as well. They've enabled a lot of bad behavior lately and it will end up costing Tomlin eventually.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Landon Collins? Got a connection there in KC with Spagnuolo at DC.

You hoping they trade Dee Ford or keep him around on the franchise tag? I'd be wary of giving him any kind of long term deal.
Trade. Dee Ford is last season's production away from being a first round bust. And he magically has that good year in a contract year?? No thanks.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Trade. Dee Ford is last season's production away from being a first round bust. And he magically has that good year in a contract year?? No thanks.

That's what I figured. Plus he might not be a good fit in the new defensive scheme. I think they'll be lucky to get a low second rounder for him if they're able to move him at all.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Landon Collins? Got a connection there in KC with Spagnuolo at DC.

You hoping they trade Dee Ford or keep him around on the franchise tag? I'd be wary of giving him any kind of long term deal.

I'd love Collins in KC but have a feeling he'll be too expensive for them. Maybe they get one of those other decent safeties that will come at a lower pricetag. Chiefs badly need to pickup some CBs and Safeties either in free agency or the draft, hell they basically could use upgrades or depth at about any spot on defense as bad as it was last year and going to a 4-3 will need some more depth on the line and LB as well. Ragland and Hitchens are not that great for LB, they unfortunately overpaid for Hitchens last offseason too. Watch Ragland get chased down by an offensive lineman on an INT, not exactly the type of speed you want at the LB position on an already crappy defensive unit. There is another video out there of that play where someone timed it and it basically amounted to about a 5.5 40 time.

I hope they trade Ford and free up some more money. But like Houston he has his question marks too and only fits certain defensive schemes so they either will have to take whatever they can get for picks or just foot the bill for a year on the franchise tag.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
@RapSheet: Sources: Former #Giants star S Landon Collins is signing a 6-year deal for a whopping $84M with the rival #Redskins. Hard to imagine a box safety with this kind of deal after last year’s slow safety market. This moves the market dramatically.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
@AdamSchefter: Patriots DE Trey Flowers intends to sign with Detroit, per source.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
@RapSheet: Sources: Former #Giants star S Landon Collins is signing a 6-year deal for a whopping $84M with the rival #Redskins. Hard to imagine a box safety with this kind of deal after last year’s slow safety market. This moves the market dramatically.

Oof. Kind of wanted him for Indy but not at that price.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
@MikeGarafolo: #Jets have now agreed with WR Jamison Crowder on a three-year, $28.5 million deal with $17 million fully guaranteed at signing, source says. Former #Redskins fourth-rounder cashes in.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Every year I become a little more convinced that the best FA strategy for most teams should be to just sit out the first wave and let someone else overpay for some of these guys.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum