NFL: ***Official Offseason Thread***

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Big offseason for Gutekunst for sure; all he has to do is set the foundation for the tail end of Rodgers' prime. I thought his first draft was pretty good. Hard to imagine the Texans letting Clowney reach free agency but you never know.

What are you thinking about the new head coach? Approve, disapprove, not sure? I wasn't wowed by Tennessee's offense but I'm also not sold on Mariota as a franchise QB and he was dinged up all year anyway, so it's tough to judge him accurately based on last season's body of work.

I was impressed with what he did in Atlanta, frankly. Sounds like he is also a guy who incorporates the running game to great effect, and he's got a couple decent chips in Jones and Williams. His passing scheme is all about getting people open, which is exactly what they need, because Adams was the only one who could get himself open the last few years.

Gutey needs to fortify the OL a bit, though. Guard position is a bit thin, and Bulaga is fine when healthy, that's just not often enough. But I think Rodgers burns to be great again.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Pretty sure the nfl blocked the UNLV because the stadium wasn’t up to the NFL standards - I read that somewhere but can’t remember where.
Yeah wouldn't surprise me. UNLV's stadium is a dump. Where the Chargers play is small but at least it is relatively nice.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Dumb trade but might not be the end of the world.

Keenum will be cut which saves 11 million. Flacco has little guaranteed money. I’m betting Elway talked to him and his agent about restructuring. Denver has their pick at 10 to draft a QB.

Their thinking was to get a QB in so teams don’t know what they were doing in the draft. Keemun was the only rostered QB.

If they don’t restructure or take a QB at 10 then it was a horrible trade. If Flacco restructures, keenum is cut and Denver goes QB, then it’s a not a big deal
Elway likes Drew Lock out of Mizzou so I imagine they take him at #10 and sit him behind Flacco for a year. I'm not sold on any of the QB's in this draft, but with a year to develop and improve on accuracy, Lock could be a franchise QB.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
The absolute madman actually settled with the NFL out of nowhere.

Begin hot takes now: did the NFL settle to hide guilt, or did he settle to hide BS? Go!

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
The absolute madman actually settled with the NFL out of nowhere.

Begin hot takes now: did the NFL settle to hide guilt, or did he settle to hide BS? Go!

If they are trying to make it go away it's on them.

Did they create a shell company?

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Didn't see this coming. At least won't be in MNF booth anymore:

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Better football player than broadcaster. Booger is alright. Just move him up the booth with Tessitore and make it a two man broadcast team.
He should have went into coaching instead. Someone would have given him a TE Coach job which could quickly turn into an OC and eventually HC job.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
He should have went into coaching instead. Someone would have given him a TE Coach job which could quickly turn into an OC and eventually HC job.

But nobody would have paid him 3.5 million to be a position coach. If that's what he wants then it'll still be there for him when he's finally done playing. But going back to the booth...I don't know. For one, he wasn't very good at it, at least not immediately like Tony Romo was. And second, the odds that he'll get a crack at a another high profile gig like MNF are not great. For him to walk away and return to football suggests that he still had the itch to play pretty badly.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
This Witten thing feels like a big meh to me. He'll be 37 years old next season, and had been trending downward his last few seasons in the league, posting career lows in catches, yards, and yards per reception in his final year(outside of his rookie season)
I'm not saying he'll be bad, but I don't feel like he's going to be some kind of game changer, either.

• Agree
Reactions: Dandy and jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
This Witten thing feels like a big meh to me. He'll be 37 years old next season, and had been trending downward his last few seasons in the league, posting career lows in catches, yards, and yards per reception in his final year(outside of his rookie season)
I'm not saying he'll be bad, but I don't feel like he's going to be some kind of game changer, either.

Yeah. His age plus the fact that he stepped away from the game for as long as he has will limit what he can do. Big difference between staying in shape and staying in football shape, I would imagine. I think he'll be more valuable as a veteran leader in the locker room and a sideline presence than as a contributor on the field.

It's more interesting to me that he walked away from such a plum job at MNF. He must either really still want to play or broadcasting turned out to not be all that he expected it to be.

Jan 8, 2019
OK, the stupid Patriots and their stupid fans have had their stupid little parade. Time to get on with the offseason. Key dates coming up -

Feb. 19 - First day that NFL teams can apply the franchise tag to an impending free agent.
Feb 26 - NFL combine begins.
March 11 - The legal tampering window for negotiating with free agents begins.
March 13 - Free agency officially begins.
April 25th - NFL draft!

How are you feeling about your team going into the offseason? Who do you hope they add and/or subtract?

Bwahahahahaha!!!!! This is Tom Brady's world, and the other 31 teams are living in it. A boat load of top 100 picks and cap room galore, this will be the most talented team Brady and Co will have likely since 07. It'll be great to see us get an upgrade at receiver from the accountants that have been trotted on the field.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron