NFL: ***Official Offseason Thread***

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
OK, the stupid Patriots and their stupid fans have had their stupid little parade. Time to get on with the offseason. Key dates coming up -

Feb. 19 - First day that NFL teams can apply the franchise tag to an impending free agent.
Feb 26 - NFL combine begins.
March 11 - The legal tampering window for negotiating with free agents begins.
March 13 - Free agency officially begins.
April 25th - NFL draft!

How are you feeling about your team going into the offseason? Who do you hope they add and/or subtract?

• Funny
Reactions: TheSuperGenius

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Going into my 50th year of misery with the Vikings. Hopefully they address the offensive line woes from the past few seasons. I'm gonna scream if they draft a CB in the first round.

I see Nick Foles declined the option so it looks like Philly is going to slap the franchise tag on him. I have trouble believing that is going to help his trade value if that truly is their plan.

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
I'm excited about the Bengals coaching hires, starting with Zac Taylor as HC. This draft will be huge in determining if they can get out of the cellar in the AFC North.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Chiefs. Use all draft picks on Defense. Franchise Tag Dee Ford. Free agent DB and ILB

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I'm excited about the Bengals coaching hires, starting with Zac Taylor as HC. This draft will be huge in determining if they can get out of the cellar in the AFC North.

Think they'll go QB in the draft or try to get someone via trade or FA? Or do they roll with Dalton and try to build a better team around him? Dalton is one of those middle of the road QBs where he's only as good as his supporting cast. Ask him to do too much and his limitations become glaring weaknesses. I think the way his contract is structured they can cut him without taking much of a cap hit, if any at all.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I would love to see Anthony Barr back in Minnesota, but I don't think he's re-signing. I bet he ends up somewhere in California.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Going into my 50th year of misery with the Vikings. Hopefully they address the offensive line woes from the past few seasons. I'm gonna scream if they draft a CB in the first round.

I see Nick Foles declined the option so it looks like Philly is going to slap the franchise tag on him. I have trouble believing that is going to help his trade value if that truly is their plan.

Hard to say what'll happen with Foles. There's some smoke around him and the Jags with DiFillippo landing there as OC and Bortles apparently being on the outs. Squeeze the Jags for a third rounder and they can give Foles a one year audition playing on the franchise tag. The Jags get a one year trial run and the Eagles send Foles out of the NFC where he can't come back to haunt them. Win-win.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I would love to see Anthony Barr back in Minnesota, but I don't think he's re-signing. I bet he ends up somewhere in California.

I think he's going to get massively overpaid by someone other than the Vikes. He's a nice player with some versatility, but he disappears for long stretches.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I'm curious to see what the Colts do. They're sitting on a ton of cap space, but so far Ballard has resisted making the big splash in free agency. I think he'll follow a similar strategy to last year by sitting out the first wave of free agency and then bargain hunting. He struck gold last year with Ebron, Denico Autry, and Matt Slausen (who was good before he got injured and then served as a mentor to the younger o-line guys the rest of the way).

I don't expect them to be players for Le'veon Bell or Antonio Brown, assuming he becomes available. I'd like them to splurge on Landon Collins to shore up the secondary, but I think he is going to get a big payday elsewhere.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
Think they'll go QB in the draft or try to get someone via trade or FA? Or do they roll with Dalton and try to build a better team around him? Dalton is one of those middle of the road QBs where he's only as good as his supporting cast. Ask him to do too much and his limitations become glaring weaknesses. I think the way his contract is structured they can cut him without taking much of a cap hit, if any at all.
They had so many injuries last year...2nd or 3rd highest in terms of salary on IR. So, I really didn't get to see what they can do with a full squad.

I think they go defense first, particularly LB. That was a glaring weakness.

Dalton has proven to be a serviceable QB, that I think the other needs (OL and TE after LB) will take precedence over drafting a QB. But you're right, they have his contract structured in the right way that it wouldn't be a huge hit.

As for FAs, it's Mike Brown. One of the worst owners in professional sports. They will never sign a premium free agent, and if the Bengals ever make it to the 2nd weekend of the playoffs, it will be in spite of the owner.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

He was going to get another chance somewhere. Makes sense as Dorsey drafted him in KC. If he can stay out of trouble it's a great pickup. And if he screws up again they can cut him and wash their hands of the whole thing. Good start to the offseason for Cleveland.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Chiefs. Use all draft picks on Defense. Franchise Tag Dee Ford. Free agent DB and ILB
I think they will let Mitch Morse walk this summer, which is probably a good idea due to his concussion history. He's the cap casualty we will deal with this summer. I wish they could somehow restructure Houston and Berry's deals but that seems unlikely. I'm not really sold on tagging Ford. Pretty good defensive ends available this summer.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Everyone around here seems to think KC will be the landing spot for Montgomery, but it would not surprise me if he ended up in Baltimore or Buffalo

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net

Waynes gets better every year at CB. Rhoads is still great. Holton Hill showed promise as a rookie. Alexander finally looked like an NFL player, and Hughes was impressive before his injury. I don't think we draft a CB in any round.

Here is what I would like to see....

Cut Everson Griffen to free up some cap space. Sign an o-lineman like Glowinski from the Colts to upgrade a guard spot. Re-sign Murray and Anthony Harris. If possible, re-sign Barr but move him to DE in place on Griffen. He would be better suited at DE in a 4-3 defense. If you still can't afford Barr, Weatherly is more than capable to take that spot.

Let Richarson go and draft his replacement in round 1. A great DT should still be on the board.

Here is my current mock draft for the Vikings:
Round 1 - DT Christian Wilkins (Clemson)
Round 2 - OG Chris Lindstrom (Boston College)
Round 3 - LB Terrill Hanks (New Mexico State)
Round 4 - OT Max Scharping (Northern Illinois)
Round 6 - WR/KR Tony Pollard (Memphis)
Round 6 - QB Kyle Shurmer (Vanderbilt)
Round 6 - LB Jeff Allison (Fresno State)
Round 7 - DE/DT Marquise Copeland (Cincinnati)
Round 7 - K Cole Tracy (LSU)

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Waynes gets better every year at CB. Rhoads is still great. Holton Hill showed promise as a rookie. Alexander finally looked like an NFL player, and Hughes was impressive before his injury. I don't think we draft a CB in any round.

Here is what I would like to see....

Cut Everson Griffen to free up some cap space. Sign an o-lineman like Glowinski from the Colts to upgrade a guard spot. Re-sign Murray and Anthony Harris. If possible, re-sign Barr but move him to DE in place on Griffen. He would be better suited at DE in a 4-3 defense. If you still can't afford Barr, Weatherly is more than capable to take that spot.

Let Richarson go and draft his replacement in round 1. A great DT should still be on the board.

Here is my current mock draft for the Vikings:
Round 1 - DT Christian Wilkins (Clemson)
Round 2 - OG Chris Lindstrom (Boston College)
Round 3 - LB Terrill Hanks (New Mexico State)
Round 4 - OT Max Scharping (Northern Illinois)
Round 6 - WR/KR Tony Pollard (Memphis)
Round 6 - QB Kyle Shurmer (Vanderbilt)
Round 6 - LB Jeff Allison (Fresno State)
Round 7 - DE/DT Marquise Copeland (Cincinnati)
Round 7 - K Cole Tracy (LSU)

Glowinski signed an extension with the Colts a couple weeks ago.

• Dislike
Reactions: demoncore1031