NBA: ***Official NBA Draft and Offseason Thread***

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
The Cavs are going to seek additional compensation. The Celtics are claiming that they were completely above board in disclosing IT's hip issue. Who blinks first? I think it'll be Boston because they have more to lose by the trade being rescinded. Cleveland could just take Kyrie back and put him right back on the market knowing exactly what he's worth. The Celts did them the favor of setting the price.

I doubt the Celtics tried to hide anything, this is an injury that caused him to miss conference finals games and there was some question if he would be ready to start the season, it's not some under the radar issue they tried to slip through. But I do agree Cleveland has more leverage here, if the trade falls through, Kyrie already wanted out and if anything this may ever so slightly help his relationship with the organization. They didn't send him to Sacramento or Orlando, they put him in a really good spot.

For Boston, this trade will have totally changed their relationship with Thomas if it doesn't go through, they didn't package him in a deal for Anthony Davis, they didn't even trade him straight up for Kyrie, they said we think Kyrie is enough of an upgrade over you that we will throw two rotation guys and a good draft pick to go get him. I don't think he would just slip back in like nothing ever happened, so the Celtics have a lot more incentive to get this done.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I doubt the Celtics tried to hide anything, this is an injury that caused him to miss conference finals games and there was some question if he would be ready to start the season, it's not some under the radar issue they tried to slip through. But I do agree Cleveland has more leverage here, if the trade falls through, Kyrie already wanted out and if anything this may ever so slightly help his relationship with the organization. They didn't send him to Sacramento or Orlando, they put him in a really good spot.

For Boston, this trade will have totally changed their relationship with Thomas if it doesn't go through, they didn't package him in a deal for Anthony Davis, they didn't even trade him straight up for Kyrie, they said we think Kyrie is enough of an upgrade over you that we will throw two rotation guys and a good draft pick to go get him. I don't think he would just slip back in like nothing ever happened, so the Celtics have a lot more incentive to get this done.

Yeah, I don't think the Celtics tried to hide anything. If anything, I wonder if the Cavs didn't make the deal knowing full well that the hip was a problem and they'd be going back for additional compensation after they had the leverage. But maybe that's giving them too much credit. I highly doubt Boston will part with their Philly or Lakers picks, but an additional late first rounder or a handful of second rounders might get the job done.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Yeah, I don't think the Celtics tried to hide anything. If anything, I wonder if the Cavs didn't make the deal knowing full well that the hip was a problem and they'd be going back for additional compensation after they had the leverage. But maybe that's giving them too much credit. I highly doubt Boston will part with their Philly or Lakers picks, but an additional late first rounder or a handful of second rounders might get the job done.

I thought that too, or if the trade falls through than they have still hurt the chemistry of their closest conference competition. But yeah I wouldn't give them anything more than a really protected Boston first that turns into a 2020 second rounder more than likely if I was Ainge.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I thought that too, or if the trade falls through than they have still hurt the chemistry of their closest conference competition. But yeah I wouldn't give them anything more than a really protected Boston first that turns into a 2020 second rounder more than likely if I was Ainge.

Yeah, who knows? I think the Cavs will start with a ridiculous request and the two sides will work their way to something reasonable. But they better get going. I think Cleveland has until Wednesday to void the deal unless both sides mutually agree to extend the deadline while they work something out.

I just think that if Boston was willing to give up this much to get Irving, what's one more pick from their embarrassment of riches to get it done? Basically, they've just come too far now. Cleveland can take back Kyrie and continue working on other potential deals. Boston would have to take back two potentially disgruntled players, one of whom is eveidently going to be on the shlf for a while yet. All the pressure is on Ainge.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I was close, I said a heavily protected first that would realistically turn into that pick. They just went right to that pick.

All in all, I still think that trade is a win for Cleveland. Assuming IT comes back healthy some time before the All Star break, they managed to stay competitive in the here and now for Lebron, and if/when Lebron bolts after the season they can blow things up pretty quickly and jump right into a rebuild.
I like Kyrie as an elite scorer, but I'm not as high on him as a face of the franchise kind of guy. But in all fairness, I thought the same thing about James Harden when Houston dealt for him so what do I know?

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Kinda stinks that McBuckets is now essentially reduced to trade bait. No one can find a spot for him on the floor.
I think mcbuckets could play for the Knicks, they don't have anyone really behind Melo at SF.

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
OKC will be interesting to watch, they might have to break out of the iso ball play for it to truly work but Westbrook and Melo are known for being extreme iso ball players and it shows when they've played good teams in the playoffs.