Official Gameday Thread: ISU vs UK Volleyball

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
*NOTE* I have this recorded and am only half way through the second set and I already know that ISU won but one thing that's stuck out at me in this match is what is wrong with Mahoney? Last year she was bombing away with the jump serve and now she can't even get a flat-footed float serve in bounds. I think I counted 3-4 service errors just on her (through the first game and a half).

If your look back through this thread, I was saying the same thing both Saturday and Sunday. She acted like she was not comfortable out there. Little confidence. Some poor passes as well. It was not the Caitlin we had grown to know and love for what she did for this team.

Havs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Caitlin will not be doing the killer serves this year. (Per source on vball team). I don't understand but thats the answer I got.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Caitlin will not be doing the killer serves this year. (Per source on vball team). I don't understand but thats the answer I got.

That's surprising.

I'll admit, I'm not the biggest fan of the jumper. Unless you can nail lines or have alot of tailing movement, it's an incredibly easy serve to pass. I think most players are in love with it for the "wow" factor.

But I think Mahoney is definitely one of the few who have an effective jump serve.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
That's surprising.

I'll admit, I'm not the biggest fan of the jumper. Unless you can nail lines or have alot of tailing movement, it's an incredibly easy serve to pass. I think most players are in love with it for the "wow" factor.

But I think Mahoney is definitely one of the few who have an effective jump serve.

Her jump serve was cool looking when it was on but percentage wise for the season she had at LOT of service errors...a lot of them a critical game points. I grew to hate that serve.

gizzsdad

Mar 4, 2009
I find this a little strange - as I remember CJL talking about serving tougher during the off/early season practices.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I find this a little strange - as I remember CJL talking about serving tougher during the off/early season practices.

Looking at the stats last night, she did have about the lowest serve pct on the team (not surprising). Somewhere in the .8xx. And I think she still was only 4th in aces.

Not that aces are a deciding factor in serve quality. But the stats would suggest that the bang didn't really deliver much of a buck.

At the same time, I think she was only behind Henson in number of serves (I found that very surprising) - which says we were scoring points when she served.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron