Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Can someone smarter than me explain how this works. The storms today were moving NE, but based on the direction of the trees blowing halfway over the wind was blowing to the SE. Is this just my eyes messing with me or is that a thing?
Straight line winds would blow the same direction as the storm is moving. If some rotation or swirling in the storm, you can see different “direction” of wind effect. I don’t have the correct terminology here, sorry.

CyCoug

Sep 19, 2021
Can someone smarter than me explain how this works. The storms today were moving NE, but based on the direction of the trees blowing halfway over the wind was blowing to the SE. Is this just my eyes messing with me or is that a thing?
I think storms generally have an inflow pulling in warm air and an outflow where cold air dragged down with rain and hail is expelled.

Where winds change speed and direction at different heights is where rotation can start and tornados form.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Advice needed. We have a 16 year old fence, which has never had issues until 2 months ago. 2 months ago we discovered that two posts, which were in cement, were breaking off. We had Des Moines steel fence come out and they said we had two bad posts and they would replace them for $480.

On Wednesday, they came out and replaced those two posts. This morning I look outside and these two panels have fallen down, which were right around the corner from a new post. The panels are facing east.

So, do you think the work they did caused this issue? Advice?

Attachments

• PXL_20240524_111718507.jpg
    PXL_20240524_111718507.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 87

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Advice needed. We have a 16 year old fence, which has never had issues until 2 months ago. 2 months ago we discovered that two posts, which were in cement, were breaking off. We had Des Moines steel fence come out and they said we had two bad posts and they would replace them for $480.

On Wednesday, they came out and replaced those two posts. This morning I look outside and these two panels have fallen down, which were right around the corner from a new post. The panels are facing east.

Who mows between the two fences?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Hard to imagine that working on separate part of the fence caused this issue. Not sure how far away that is from the repair, but I know from dealing with mine, when you have bad spots, it puts pressure on other parts of the fence too and they will eventually have problems if you don't address them.

Reactions: BCClone

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Fun morning of 2 grumpy kids that wanted to sleep more after we had to wake them up when the storm was rolling through. Feeling it myself, don't think I ever got fully back to sleep after that.

• Friendly
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Fun morning of 2 grumpy kids that wanted to sleep more after we had to wake them up when the storm was rolling through. Feeling it myself, don't think I ever got fully back to sleep after that.

I had one daughter that went right back to sleep the other thought it was so cool to be up early....

• Funny

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Heard those but only after my mom got an alert on same phone that I have and woke me up.

If she hadn't woken up I could have even slept through sirens.

Our sirens sounded louder than usual this morning - not sure if they change the volume during overnight hours, or if the silence of 4am amplified them in my head. Our 7 yo still slept right thru them, though (as well as slept thru me carrying her to the basement - guess she was tired!).

• Friendly

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

I think your problem is you have a 16 year old fence and your posts are going bad. Your neighbors white fence looks nice though.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames

Looks like it broke off at the ground which would indicate that it was also rotten. It's probably safe to assume if you had two bad ones then there are many others also.

Most of our posts are rotten off but the previous owners put in metal posts/stiffeners beside them that are holding up well.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Been awhile since I’ve been woken up by sirens, legitimately terrifying for the first few seconds.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

If you had two bad posts,a good chance the rest was starting to go. There is a chance that what they did expedited the others falling but it was just going to be time.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
Some tree limbs down in my area of Grimes this morning. Somehow, the toys in my son's water table (that I forgot to put away) stayed put. Maybe because it was tucked up against the house. Not sure. Regardless, the 4:40 am tornado warning on the phone was NOT fun, nor was wrangling a sleeping toddler and two cats into carriers. I need all the caffeine today.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron