***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The last few bouts with severe weather I haven't been hardly getting any alerts on my phone (specifically Tornado Warnings). During the last round of tornados in the metro I didn't get anything on my phone, but I get alerts that there is rain even if it is like 2 drops. I have the Weather Channel app and the KCCI app (not the weather specific one). Has anyone else had these issues?

iPhone? Android? OS?

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
The last few bouts with severe weather I haven't been hardly getting any alerts on my phone (specifically Tornado Warnings). During the last round of tornados in the metro I didn't get anything on my phone, but I get alerts that there is rain even if it is like 2 drops. I have the Weather Channel app and the KCCI app (not the weather specific one). Has anyone else had these issues?

I have the 13WarnMe app, and that's how we got notified. I haven't tried the others.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
1 - There is really a place called "White Settlement"? WTF
2 - Attention to detail is top-notch, they even have the "Box Tops Rewards" cutout on the top corner.

Pretty sure White Settlement is in Texas. Maybe there are others too.

• Informative
Reactions: Jer

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
With all of this moisture, we are gonna have a summer of lots of mowing and nasty mosquitoes.
We (unfortunately) had to get a whole new HVAC system a month ago (house hit the 10 year old mark this year). Ever since then the house has been running an indoor humidity of between 48-52%. Due to allergies we flip back and forth between AC and Heat, never pulling in outside air or having windows open. Was concerned the humidifier was stuck in the on position but confirmed it's disabled and dry as I set it a month ago.

Assuming it's just the constant rounds of rain we've been getting for the past month.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
And you don’t get like the big network alert for a tornado warning? Or an alert from your weather apps? Do you get the big amber alert alerts?
I get amber alerts. I do get some warnings from Weather Channel but seemed like I thought I would get one for tornado warning. I just downloaded the Storm Hunter and 13 warn me apps so I should get blown up with alerts now.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
1 - There is really a place called "White Settlement"? WTF
2 - Attention to detail is top-notch, they even have the "Box Tops Rewards" cutout on the top corner.
Ed Wilson covered this that night there was tornado warnings all over Des Moines. A lot of these places with really weird names had to do with rail routes. They weren't towns and often times there were no towns around but they still needed to be able to identify where they were, so the conductor would just make **** up. At least that was my interpretation of what he said.

• Informative
Reactions: Letterkenny and Jer

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
If sirens go off when there isn’t a tornado I’m not going wake up my kids up and bring them to the basement unless I’m seeing more legit info on TV or social media. Kind of sad if you think about it that sirens are the least reliable source of information.
What if you weren't paying attention? The siren clues you in to go look at TV or social media.

Its not meant to be specific alert to tell you if your particular house is going to get destroyed.

Sheesh.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Nah, the worst thing that happens is people start to ignore them as false alarms or being overly cautious, and then they're hit with a dangerous storm.

Darwin award. Take out the people who can't understand the purpose of the sirens.

I can't count the number of times that I've heard a siren and it clued me in to check the radar. Literally took me 30 seconds to check the radar. Most of the time, its nothing crazy, but a few times it helped me take cover. I've never been hit with any serious damage, but that doesn't mean I'm going to ignore them going forward. I'd be a complete moron to completely ignore them.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Sirens are a crude tool, which was fine in 1985 when there were no other tools available. And they're still useful if we were more strategic about the way we used them. But we've expanded their use to the point where people consider it a measure of caution rather than a true emergency, particularly when you can pull up your phone or turn on the TV and get much more precise info upon which to decide.

It would be one thing if this were just a one-way problem of being overly cautious, but it goes both ways. I either forgot or never knew that these sirens have to cycle off occasionally to prevent damage, which came up the night that Pleasant Hill got hit and our sirens were cycling on and off repeatedly. Are most people going to know that sirens may cycle off and that isn't necesarily an indicator that the threat has passed? Of course not.

You literally defined the purpose of the sirens. To alert people to pull up their phone or get inside and turn on the TV to see if there is a problem. Thats not a reason that sirens are out of date. That is the LITERAL reason the sirens exist.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Darwin award. Take out the people who can't understand the purpose of the sirens.

I can't count the number of times that I've heard a siren and it clued me in to check the radar. Literally took me 30 seconds to check the radar. Most of the time, its nothing crazy, but a few times it helped me take cover. I've never been hit with any serious damage, but that doesn't mean I'm going to ignore them going forward. I'd be a complete moron to completely ignore them.
Darwin award or not, if your policy is sounding the sirens for weather that isn't particularly dangerous, you might put more people in more danger than if you did it only for serious threats.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
You literally defined the purpose of the sirens. To alert people to pull up their phone or get inside and turn on the TV to see if there is a problem. Thats not a reason that sirens are out of date. That is the LITERAL reason the sirens exist.

That's weird, because folks up the thread were arguing that the purpose of the sirens is not to turn on the TV or check out your phone, but to seek shelter immediately. Seems like it might be helpful to get our story straight on this one.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I have to be in downtown DSM in the afternoon for a meeting. I'm dreading it now with the weather.
I dunno, based upon the Kopelman image on the previous page the 1pm image shows the bad cells kind of by Newton.
You may be OK.
GOCbwFEXAAAOBoT

• Optimistic
Reactions: MJ29