***Official 2021 Vikings***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Bynum and Dantzler did come on for sure. Not sure if Dantzler can be a #1 corner on a good team, but he has really improved. Also like his willingness to tackle.

But overall not encouraging for the Vikings defense based on PFF. But a lot of posters seem to think this is a good roster losing games because of Cousins, when PFF has him as the Vikings second highest rated player.

The only real hope for the D to me is restructure/cut most of these, including Hunter, yet he comes back and is an DPOY type guy. I highly doubt Hunter is going to restructure. He’s in an in demand position and knows his career could be ending soon due to all these injuries.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. Defense needs to get younger, faster and cheaper. This offense is a RG and center away from being top 5 in the NFL. Osborn took a BIG step. If we can get him to maintain or grow a little in a more explosive offense. Watch out.

Part of the defensive issues was MInnesota was HORRIFIC in going 3 and out or picking up first downs in general. We had to lead the league in 1st and second down run %. Zimmer being gone hopefullly changes that.

If the offense can stay on the field more. That will do wonders for making the defense look miles better

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
The Athletic polled NFL coaches to rank the 8 head coach vacancies and Minnesota came in a close 2nd behind Denver.

It is also interesting how many people are floating that the Vikings could start a new coach/GM era with a Cousins trade. I think it’s most likely that he stays - but you potentially have Pittsburgh, Houston, Denver, WFT, Carolina, and Seattle depending on Russ as places that might want to give up a 1st and take on the Cousins contract.

I don't know how much interest there is in Cousins (and his contract), but I don't see Denver and Washington as possibilities.
The Vikes do need so much that I'd love to see the money in Barr, Pierce, and Cousins freed up.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Dont over think it. When as Kirk put the team on his back and willed the team to victory? Hasnt. Look for someone with a chance at that.
It's not even close to that simple. There's not going to be someone else if they can't find another team to take his contract. That in itself is going to be a massive task.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
About 8 times this season alone, only to have the defense lose the game after he put them in position to win.
I understand what you are saying, but put in position to win and actually win are two different things. No Cousins cannot go make tackles on defense, spare me, but a leader making more than double the rest of the team should affect their teams performance intangibly and raise the collective level. The guy is a loser when it matters, no way around that.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I understand what you are saying, but put in position to win and actually win are two different things. No Cousins cannot go make tackles on defense, spare me, but a leader making more than double the rest of the team should affect their teams performance intangibly and raise the collective level. The guy is a loser when it matters, no way around that.
It's a team game. This team's defense literally gave up the most points in 2-min situations in NFL history, often directly to lose games.

Repeating again for those in back: you have an average to above-average offense, with good, young skill players. Somehow, your run game still sucked -- but that's fine, you put up points regularly anyway. Meanwhile, you nearly spent top-5 money on a defense that produced bottom-5 results in games. If you wanna talk about wasted return on money, start there. As it pertains to Cousins, it's not like Mannion or Mond carried the team the same way he did. Not even remotely close.

Are there use cases to let Cousins go? Sure -- most notably with a fire sale and rebuild situation. But, the majority of QBs available out there are going to be substantially worse on the field than him, and this draft class for QBs isn't very exciting, either.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
It's a team game. This team's defense literally gave up the most points in 2-min situations in NFL history, often directly to lose games.

Repeating again for those in back: you have an average to above-average offense, with good, young skill players. Somehow, your run game still sucked -- but that's fine, you put up points regularly anyway. Meanwhile, you nearly spent top-5 money on a defense that produced bottom-5 results in games. If you wanna talk about wasted return on money, start there. As it pertains to Cousins, it's not like Mannion or Mond carried the team the same way he did. Not even remotely close.

Are there use cases to let Cousins go? Sure -- most notably with a fire sale and rebuild situation. But, the majority of QBs available out there are going to be substantially worse on the field than him, and this draft class for QBs isn't very exciting, either.

Barr won't get extended and they'll probably cut Hunter and Pierce. That'll free up a lot of cap space.

As far as Cousins goes, that'll depend on the new GM and coach. If they think he's the answer, then they will extend him and reduce his cap hit. If they don't think he's the answer and they can get a 1st round pick for him, then they'll trade him. They'll sign a lower tier QB (Winston maybe?) and see what they can do with their cap space to be competitive this year.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

Agreed. I do not like Cousins. But that isn't the primary issue. Watch the same people get super pissed off next year if they get rid of Cousin's and whatever journey-man guy they get in there turns the offense into a cluster.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Barr won't get extended and they'll probably cut Hunter and Pierce. That'll free up a lot of cap space.

As far as Cousins goes, that'll depend on the new GM and coach. If they think he's the answer, then they will extend him and reduce his cap hit. If they don't think he's the answer and they can get a 1st round pick for him, then they'll trade him. They'll sign a lower tier QB (Winston maybe?) and see what they can do with their cap space to be competitive this year.
The third option is to just let him play out his contract this next season.

I have strong doubts that any team is going to offer a first round pick for Cousins. His cap number is too high and his contract is done at the end of the year. The Vikings are going to have to agree to pay a big chunk of his salary to get another team to take him. They're just not in a position of strength. I could see a 3 round pick or maybe a 2nd? Even so, I think it's going to be very difficult to unload him

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

I have strong doubts that any team is going to offer a first round pick for Cousins. His cap number is too high and his contract is done at the end of the year. The Vikings are going to have to agree to pay a big chunk of his salary to get another team to take him. They're just not in a position of strength. I could see a 3 round pick or maybe a 2nd? Even so, I think it's going to be very difficult to unload him
I doubt this happens but that's why I think the Browns would be in play for him. I don't know what there cap situation is but that organization is not known for making sound decisions. They have a lot of pieces and may think Kirk is the answer (kind of like we did).

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006

They may be able to get a 1st round pick. If a team wants him, there will be a constract extension that changes the cap impact. Also note that a team who gets him, only has a $35M cap hit, not the $45M the Vikings would have.

There is a less than 5% chance he finishes out his current contract with the Vikings.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
They may be able to get a 1st round pick. If a team wants him, there will be a constract extension that changes the cap impact. Also note that a team who gets him, only has a $35M cap hit, not the $45M the Vikings would have.

There is a less than 5% chance he finishes out his current contract with the Vikings.

I agree with Janny that the problem is-- there might not be anybody that wants Cousins and his contract. For that reason, I have the chances much higher at 50%.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Between 2019 and 2021 in the 4th quarter and OT of all games Cousins was:

5th in Completion Percentage Over Expectation (trailing Allen, Teddy, Watson, Rodgers)

8th in Expected Points Added Per Play (trailing Mahomes, Allen, Brady, Watson, Roethlisberger (??), Tannehill, Rodgers)

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016

Seems like a truly terrible idea because MIN would get very little (or nothing?) in comp for Cousins leaving at this stage in his career; j forget the details.

I do think Cousins would land a 1st on the trade market as the QB market is just too hot; look at what Wentz got from Indianapolis or Stafford from the Rams. But I also think that a new GM and coach will believe Cousins on an extended restructured deal is the best shot for this team to win within the next 3-4 years.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Seems like a truly terrible idea because MIN would get very little (or nothing?) in comp for Cousins leaving at this stage in his career; j forget the details.

I do think Cousins would land a 1st on the trade market as the QB market is just too hot; look at what Wentz got from Indianapolis or Stafford from the Rams. But I also think that a new GM and coach will believe Cousins on an extended restructured deal is the best shot for this team to win within the next 3-4 years.
They'd get possibly a 3rd round compensatory pick in the 2023 draft, if he left in free agency.

That's not far off what they're going to get for him in a trade.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale

Cant deny anything you say here. What also cannot be denied is that Cousins has never and will never elevate the play of those around him, a la the top 3-5 qbs in the league.

What a depressing list to look at for so many reasons. Also depressing that most of the top 15 on the list actually make the playoffs.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
They'd get possibly a 3rd round compensatory pick in the 2023 draft, if he left in free agency.

That's not far off what they're going to get for him in a trade.

I don’t think you’re realistic about his trade value