***Official 2021 Vikings***

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
CBS had a good story about the Cousins situation. If MIN can’t or doesn’t want to trade him, he will almost certainly be extended and his cap hit reduced.

$25.2M would rank Cousins 12th on the cap hit list for 2022 (before other teams restructure).

That is exactly what would happen if a team wanted to trade for him. Arguing that his contract max's him untradeable is just silly. Trading him without a contract restructure is not even in the realm of possibility.

• Agree
Reactions: cyIclSoneU

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
Sure, there are a lot of things that could be done with Cousins contract.
I want to believe there may be some GM out there that is infatuated with his numbers, but I fear there are also many GMs that question his leadership and ask-- "Where was he when the Vikings playoffs were on the line in Green Bay?"

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Really don’t think people understand the Cousins contract, any trade would come with an extension which would lower the cap hit; the CBS link I posted above shows it’s easy to get him to the #12 cap number in 2022 with an extension to 2026.

so many Cousins contract takes are grounded in the headline reactions to his first deal with Minnesota
But Kirk has to agree to an extension. And while he no longer has a no trade clause, he can wield his agreement to an extension to much the same effect.
The Vikings can't just magically make an extension happen if Cousins doesn't want to. And what about #8's history would give you any indication that he'd be willing to sign a contract that wasn't premium for him? His cap number for 2022 might go down, but he's still going to want money that makes him one of the higher paid QBs in the league.
I just don't see any team giving up a 1st round pick for that.

Carson Wentz was 5 years younger than Kirk is now when the Colts traded for him and his contract never put his yearly cap number above $30 million. Kirk's not signing an extension that pays him less than what he's making now. There's plenty of precedent for him threatening to not sign an extension, taking his $35 million for this year and betting on himself when he hits free agency after next year. He's done exactly that before and made out like a bandit

Reactions: Neptune78

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
But Kirk has to agree to an extension. And while he no longer has a no trade clause, he can wield his agreement to an extension to much the same effect.
The Vikings can't just magically make an extension happen if Cousins doesn't want to. And what about #8's history would give you any indication that he'd be willing to sign a contract that wasn't premium for him? His cap number for 2022 might go down, but he's still going to want money that makes him one of the higher paid QBs in the league.
I just don't see any team giving up a 1st round pick for that.

Carson Wentz was 5 years younger than Kirk is now when the Colts traded for him and his contract never put his yearly cap number above $30 million. Kirk's not signing an extension that pays him less than what he's making now. There's plenty of precedent for him threatening to not sign an extension, taking his $35 million for this year and betting on himself when he hits free agency after next year. He's done exactly that before and made out like a bandit

Kirk is getting paid $35 million next year. Thats all he has left on his contract. Based on your logic, no team is going to pay him much after that.

In the extension example given, Kirk would get $5M per year for a 4 year extension (5 years total), plus a $50M guarentee. In this scenario, he'd be guarenteed $75M, a full $40M more than he is currently guarenteed. Would he sign up for $40M guarenteed, or would he prefer to be a 34 year old QB with good stats and a reputation for not being able to actually win games?

ClonesInDallas

Dec 16, 2020
It's a team game. This team's defense literally gave up the most points in 2-min situations in NFL history, often directly to lose games.

Repeating again for those in back: you have an average to above-average offense, with good, young skill players. Somehow, your run game still sucked -- but that's fine, you put up points regularly anyway. Meanwhile, you nearly spent top-5 money on a defense that produced bottom-5 results in games. If you wanna talk about wasted return on money, start there. As it pertains to Cousins, it's not like Mannion or Mond carried the team the same way he did. Not even remotely close.

Are there use cases to let Cousins go? Sure -- most notably with a fire sale and rebuild situation. But, the majority of QBs available out there are going to be substantially worse on the field than him, and this draft class for QBs isn't very exciting, either.

Its good to see there are still Vikings fans with reasonable takes. The Vikings subreddit makes me want to give up my lifelong fandom

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006

2017-18 they went to the NFC title game. That happened to be the 1 year they played around league average on the line. Every other year they are at least bottom 1/3-1/4 of the league.

Now the Titans are one of the worst lines in the league as well. But they have an offense that gets the ball out really quick, are #2 in the league in time of possession and their Tannehill was #5 in the league getting the ball out of his hands... Kirk was #19. Have to develop a quick passing game with a bad oline

Who knew you can’t fix your O line by drafting corners?

• Haha
Reactions: JM4CY and Cyclone06

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Kirk is getting paid $35 million next year. Thats all he has left on his contract. Based on your logic, no team is going to pay him much after that.

In the extension example given, Kirk would get $5M per year for a 4 year extension (5 years total), plus a $50M guarentee. In this scenario, he'd be guarenteed $75M, a full $40M more than he is currently guarenteed. Would he sign up for $40M guarenteed, or would he prefer to be a 34 year old QB with good stats and a reputation for not being able to actually win games?
I have no idea what he will do. I do know that the man has stared a very similar scenario to that in the face, turned down the guaranteed money and refused to sign an extension. And he did it twice.
This is a player that knows his value and his power, and has a history of using it in ways that defy common practices.
I hope a trade will be as easy and lucrative for the Vikings as you seem to think it will be, and if it is, I'll be the first one to sing its praises. But on the other side of the coin, if fans think Cousins has more value on the trade market than he actually does, they'll be the first ones to hold it against the new GM for not getting what they think he's worth.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
CBS Sports has made a prediction that the Viking will hire Doug Pederson.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Who knew you can’t fix your O line by drafting corners?
To be fair, the strategy to fix the OL by drafting corners was the natural next step after trying to fix it by paying Xavier Rhodes like $100,000 for every snap he participated in.

Reactions: Acylum

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Minnesota could easily go 4-13 in 2022 after trading Cousins. But I'd rather go 4-13 than go 8-9. Guarantees a chance at an ELITE prospect.

The worst spot to be in the NFL is average. You either don't make the playoffs and have a bad draft pick. Or you get throttled like the Patriots, Eagles, Steelers and Cardinals. Never a real chance to make it to the Super Bowl

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
That would be awesome for Minnesota either way
He’s your first look at a post-Rodgers, NFC North:

7ba64d_20802ad93a1a4107a0f95ebb3220e698.gif

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron