Iowa State Uniform Discussions

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Hard to believe they couldn’t have come up with the jersey with Cardinal number instead of the one they did. Maybe CMC just hates Cardinal and Gold on his uniforms

Campbell doesn't like gold.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I miss the white helmet with a tapered stripe. Plus, it makes me wonder if the stripe could be made into a cool skinny tornado of some type, or hinting at it (like the basketball uniforms). Probably not flaring wide like the Ornado. I have no artistic ability.

whiteback-png.42501
How about this?... Have the Trice stripes at the front center of the helmet. Then have them morph (with a space between) into a tapering (narrowing down) stripe all the way to the bac; k. And have the back end of the stripe morph into a cyclone.
I do think some helmet stripes would be nice. And the trice ones would look clean if they stopped three quarters of the way to the back of the helmet. Good idea.
I liked the white helmet tapered stripe, if you wanted a stripe on the helmet.

I prefer no stripe on white helmet however, atleast with design I'm working. And C/G stripe wouldn't work on w/b/w set. So, less clutter, leave stripe off, looks good. Especially w/ pant stripe (hopefully).

On another design, (other designs), open to helmet stripes yes.

Last edited:

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Campbell doesn't like gold.
Yep, heard that as well from someone who would definitely know. Don't plan on seeing it on uniforms anytime soon.
Interesting. I would hope that he is open to gold (not yellow), or gold option. Our "football" uniform (using Cardinal and present Yellow) just doesn't look good with large swaths of Yellow, i.e., helmet, jersey or pant. Everybody or most everyone knows it.

The current yellow is great for football uni trim, numbers, current I-State mark, other ISU sports teams unis, everything else. Nothing like the scoreboard, I-State logo, signs, field, stationary, etc. needs to change. It can all stay the same. Just ADD accessory gold to existing yellow. Another gold option, different from the Yellow option only, that we have now.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Give Campbell some better gold options (if he doesn't like our Yellow). Add a gold just a little lighter than our '70's gold (for large swaths, helmet, pant; we don't need a gold jersey).. Add also a Stapleton-era gold for trim. Keep current yellow for trim, insignia/marks/other sports teams, everything else. Nothing nees to change there! Add a little more white.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
It will come down to Jamie P. being less rigid and open to new ideas when it comes to the football uniform and our school Cardinal and Yellow colors. He has said in the past that he will let a/the football coach determine what kind of uniform he wants, as long as no change is made in the primary colors of our current Cardinal and Gold (Yellow).

Adding black is a huge change. Now add some gold and move on.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Those Jets uniforms tonight are pretty sweet. Kinda gives you an idea what ours might look like with a cardinal helmet (or chrome cardinal), with our black jersey and black pants.

The thing with the Jets though is they do have a bit of green in their black jersey and black pants to tie it together.

1601609699171.png

bgprest

Aug 18, 2008
Dallas, TX

I prefer no stripe on white helmet however, atleast with design I'm working. And C/G stripe wouldn't work on w/b/w set. So, less clutter, leave stripe off, looks good. Especially w/ pant stripe (hopefully).

But what about just having the Trice Stripes at the front center of the helmets?

Can somebody mock up how that would look?...

Last edited:
Reactions: psychlone99

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Is this what you're thinking?

Rough...
View attachment 76092
View attachment 76093
I thought I would like this, but I think it looks a little too much like, I don't know, the lamp on a miner's helmet? Rooster comb? Steam locomotive cow catcher? Especially from a distance (a pet peeve of mine -- design should look good from close and far away, in person and on tv -- it's why I loathe the TCU basketball court -- an absolute incoherent mess on TV unless it's a closeup).

I think it might look good on the back of the helmet, though.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

But what about just having the Trice Stripes at the front center of the helmets?

Can somebody mock up how that would look?...
Is this what you're thinking?

Rough...
View attachment 76092
I thought I would like this, but I think it looks a little too much like, I don't know, the lamp on a miner's helmet? Rooster comb? Steam locomotive cow catcher? Especially from a distance (a pet peeve of mine -- design should look good from close and far away, in person and on tv -- it's why I loathe the TCU basketball court -- an absolute incoherent mess on TV unless it's a closeup).

I think it might look good on the back of the helmet, though.
Yeah I'm not a fan of the Trice-era mark on the front of helmet. It doesn't look right. Maybe just a bit too large also. Try cutting the height by half, and the width slightly?

The Red one here still wouldn't work on black sets; you'd have to take it off and put a black one on.

If on the helmets (any color, not just white) perhaps a smaller version in the lower back (center?), in black (w/ trace white trim)?

Thx guys! Thx @Cyclone5234!

Last edited:
Reactions: bgprest

Draf

Jun 8, 2017
I messed around with adding a Trice patch (made into a decal) within a back stripe a couple of days ago. I couldn't make it look right. I ended up off-centering it over an American flag. I then put "TRICE" on the back bumper.
I realize it's not on a black helmet — just wanted to share since you all are talking about adding the Trice stripes to a helmet.

Trice Back Left sml.png

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I messed around with adding a Trice patch (made into a decal) within a back stripe a couple of days ago. I couldn't make it look right. I ended up off-centering it over an American flag. I then put "TRICE" on the back bumper.
I realize it's not on a black helmet — just wanted to share since you all are talking about adding the Trice stripes to a helmet.

View attachment 76103
Haha, I was wondering when you were going to post this! I'd seen it in your Avatar recently. Nice job on the Cynado and the gold helmet!

Not sure where best to put the Trice mark on helmet yet. Good thinking outside the box with Trice on back bumper, although I'd rather have IOWA STATE or CYCLONES there.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

View attachment 76103
Understand how the Trice mark might not look good in back of helmet w/ a helmet stripe (like this gold helmet). Perhaps just settle on an offset sticker like you did here, yes.

On helmets w/o stripes (like our current cardinal, black and white) I'd love to see a black one right in the center above the rear bumper, one just the size you have here, one a bit smaller or shorter. Thx!