Merged Covid Megathread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
  • Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

I think the cold hard facts would tell us that it would be more effective to close down the bars and restaurants and keep schools open. But there are a lot of other considerations that go into that which are not to be discussed in this thread.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
A huge thank you to all the clinical trial volunteers who willingly took on some risk for the greater good.

I did it for the chicks and the money. Now where are my chicks and my money!

Full disclosure - I'll receive close to $2,500 over the course of the 2 year long study... Once I get all that cheddar, I'm off to Craigslist for the chicks!

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Biggest thing my wife says in Ankeny is not enough bodies to fill in for subs I guess?

Schools are barely able to staff at all, much less adequate or qualified help.
In Ames and Ankeny, they've ended up with counselors, principals, and anyone who can stand up covering classes, and then trying to do their regular job. That's sort of covered most classes, but some still run short.

Also, the state has an epidemiologist who did a presentation to the Ames school board showing that transmission does in fact happen rapidly in schools, and that the virus hits kids from 11 on up with the same symptoms and severity it hits adults, but for a shorter duration (sometimes).

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Schools are barely able to staff at all, much less adequate or qualified help.
In Ames and Ankeny, they've ended up with counselors, principals, and anyone who can stand up covering classes, and then trying to do their regular job. That's sort of covered most classes, but some still run short.

I know of an Iowa middle school where they sent the kids to the gym because their classrooms did not have staff. They had 2 or 3 people watching hundreds of children. No class just sit there until they had a class with an instructor. It is a large city school.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I got a call last summer and again last week from the high school principal asking me to take the substitute authorization course because I have helped coach some of the academic teams for free such as Quiz Bowl, Mock Trial, MathCounts, etc. I am 60 and have asthma. One of the subs they have always used most often is in his 80’s and won’t do it this year. He still coaches cross county and track.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I got a call last summer and again last week from the high school principal asking me to take the substitute authorization course because I have helped coach some of the academic teams for free such as Quiz Bowl, Mock Trial, MathCounts, etc. I am 60 and have asthma. One of the subs they have always used most often is in his 80’s and won’t do it this year. He still coaches cross county and track.

My wife is a teacher in Ames and subs are scarce. My mom who is a retired teacher in Boji subs for the hell of it most years, she passed on subbing this whole year, and I can't blame her, not that they need the money anyway.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I know of an Iowa middle school where they sent the kids to the gym because their classrooms did not have staff. They had 2 or 3 people watching hundreds of children. No class just sit there until they had a class with an instructor. It is a large city school.

It's definitely not working out so well.
I'm glad we picked remote and that it's going well

• Dumb
Reactions: Cyclonesrule91

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
It's definitely not working out so well.
I'm glad we picked remote and that it's going well

I think "definitely not working out so well" is a bridge too far.

I think many of those that have kids going to school in person would attest the learning experience is much better than at home, even with the challenges present in a covid environment. I think many school boards agreed which as why they were switching to 100% in person before the recent spike.

Personally speaking my flock of children have been in person every day this school year and have yet to have a substitute teacher due to covid.

Status
Not open for further replies.