Merged Covid Megathread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

" Hospitalizations lag behind cases by about two weeks; by Thanksgiving, today’s soaring cases will be overwhelming hospitals that already cannot cope. “The wave hasn’t even crashed down on us yet,” Perencevich said. “It keeps rising and rising, and we’re all running on fear. The health-care system in Iowa is going to collapse, no question.”

All of the talk of "drastically lower mortality rates" goes out the window when we get back to where NY was and people with COVID can't get care, can't get therapeutics, etc

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
All of the talk of "drastically lower mortality rates" goes out the window when we get back to where NY was and people with COVID can't get care, can't get therapeutics, etc
A podcast I was listening to made this exact point. He said it is great that we are learning to treat it but that all goes out the window if hospitals get overwhelmed.

EDIT: Also, even if you get better at treating it but the # of cases increases dramatically a lot of people still die.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
A podcast I was listening to made this exact point. He said it is great that we are learning to treat it but that all goes out the window if hospitals get overwhelmed.

EDIT: Also, even if you get better at treating it but the # of cases increases dramatically a lot of people still die.

There also aren't enough doses of Remdisivir, and the experimental stuff like monoclonal antibodies, the doses only number in the tens of thousands. So sure, famous people get it, but people going to Allen Hospital in Waterloo? You're SOL.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

We won't be able to realistically think we're OK until cases continue, but hospitalizations/deaths go down at the same time and if the vaccine is distributed properly and holds up, that's what, next summer at the earliest?

I think people really didn't establish the habit of limiting interactions, keeping distance, etc. and haven't been able to adjust accordingly when the cold temps started up.

• Agree
Reactions: bawbie

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
We won't be able to realistically think we're OK until cases continue, but hospitalizations/deaths go down at the same time and if the vaccine is distributed properly and holds up, that's what, next summer at the earliest?

I think people really didn't establish the habit of limiting interactions, keeping distance, etc. and haven't been able to adjust accordingly when the cold temps started up.
From what I'm seeing, I think there's a lot of "It's been 8 months, screw this" going on.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Had a relative who had heart issues and stents placed and sent home early to clear the bed.
I guess on the plus side, your relative must be doing well to be sent home early. I hope anyway.

Reactions: Jer

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I’d guess Washington and California will have similar things if they don’t already

kcbob79clone

Current fatality rate less now than earlier

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yeah but now 5 times more cases and skyrocketing

Yeah it would be different if AB/T-Cell tests showed way more people have had it and the death numbers stayed the same but death numbers go up as confirmed cases go up anywhere in the world.

I'd predict we'll be seeing lots of 2,000 reported deaths/day in the U.S. over the next month or so.

aauummm

March is National Celery Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Had a relative who had heart issues and stents placed and sent home early to clear the bed.
Hope the relative is OK. So how long was this relative in the cardiac care unit after having the stents put in?

Last edited:

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

Hopefully your loved one is doing ok. This article quotes a U of I infectious disease doctor warning that our hospital system will collapse around Thanksgiving with our current case load.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Hopefully your loved one is doing ok. This article quotes a U of I infectious disease doctor warning that our hospital system will collapse around Thanksgiving with our current case load.

And said article is posted up thread! Keep posting it!

kcbob79clone

Reactions: aauummm
Status
Not open for further replies.