Matt Campbell postgame quote

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
ISU like K-State is a developmental program. There will be years when young talent isn't quite ready. We're not Bama, UGA, or tOSU.

Watching Saturday, I sensed your QB is going to be really good in the future. Great QB play is essential to winning. We all know that. He'll develop into a star, just at Purdy did under CMC.

So, all this angst here is understandable. Been there. But listen to me, you have a tough as nails program in Ames. Everyone outside, like me, see and understand that fact. No one wants to play up there. A little patience and enjoyment of the ride, bumpy as it may be today, is in order.

Beat Texass.
a6cc8665edd858e0262f13f0e5cabf30.gif

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
ISU like K-State is a developmental program. There will be years when young talent isn't quite ready. We're not Bama, UGA, or tOSU.

Watching Saturday, I sensed your QB is going to be really good in the future. Great QB play is essential to winning. We all know that. He'll develop into a star, just at Purdy did under CMC.

So, all this angst here is understandable. Been there. But listen to me, you have a tough as nails program in Ames. Everyone outside, like me, see and understand that fact. No one wants to play up there. A little patience and enjoyment of the ride, bumpy as it may be today, is in order.

Beat Texass.
Get ******.

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
Complete revisionist history. What team was missing tons of players because of Covid? Only Kansas State. No one else has massive amounts of players out due to Covid. People are just making **** up now to support their position.
If I remember right, we had all of our players for every single game. One exception was the first game of the season where we had Covid problems to start the year so a bunch of players missed practice leading up to the Louisiana game.

It is absolutely true that every team we faced had at least 3-4 players out every week. Now, were they all their skill players? No. But we absolutely were more disciplined with our Covid protocols and we took advantage of other teams by being more disciplined.

Reactions: Stormin

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
If Campbell goes for it on 4th down that doesn't win the game either. If we make it on 4th, it just means the FG to tie the game is closer.

But since he was rattled, guess your saying even kicking a closer FG then wasn't an option.

Being a Monday morning QB is great because there are right & wrong decisions.

Campbell's decision wasn't wrong just because the outcome was bad for ISU.

I wonder what the analytics guys would say the right move was?
Speaking of Campbell's decisions, we wouldn't be having this convo at all if our coach had addressed the game at hand in his presser, rather than deflecting to fan base criticism. I wonder if the coach that preaches personal responsibility would like to have that one back?

• Agree
Reactions: Lineup

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Two years removed from Fiesta Bowl and Big 12 Championship appearance and now we are a “stalled program.” Or it could be a reset year after putting 4 players in the NFL from last year’s squad.
2020 season*
We played 4-3 Oregon who finished 3rd in their PAC 12 division, we didn’t face Iowa, we played multiple Big 12 schools decimated from covid, KSU and WVU almost couldn’t play us. Think we can all be honest with ourselves on what that 2020 season was.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I think after seeing last year and this year, 2020 was only that successful because we didn't have as many covid protocol problems as other teams.
-Most of the teams we played and beat up on had tons of players out.
-We won a NY6 bowl against a poor Oregon team.

Do you guys remember Indiana being great in that covid year? that turned out to be a mirage as well.
And Michigan and Penn State being horrendous that 1 year was also a mirage as well. There are a ton of other examples.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I don’t think it was a mirage but it was a weird season. But I don’t think you get to simply talk about a “stalled program” without acknowledging that in the 4th year (which I’m conveniently leaving out) this program went to the Fiesta Bowl and beat Oregon.
I seem to remember WVU missing a ton of guys. Plus there was a ton of covid chaos throughout the Big 12 season that caused key players to sit out games throughout the season.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
He's done well even if someone chooses to not give full credit for 2020 though.
I give him full credit for 2020 because that year was harder than heck in about a million ways.

Look at the title of this thread. Campbell said something bone headed at exactly the wrong time. It's okay to say so. It probably won't happen again. If it continues, it may signal a problem.

• Winner
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
The top 5 teams in the conference in 2020 were Oklahoma, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Texas and TCU. This wasn’t nearly as unpredictable as people now make it seem.

Reactions: VeloClone

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Speaking of Campbell's decisions, we wouldn't be having this convo at all if our coach had addressed the game at hand in his presser, rather than deflecting to fan base criticism. I wonder if the coach that preaches personal responsibility would like to have that one back?
Or maybe our fans who think Gilbert was "rattled" when he missed the FG's in the KU game could admit that Gilbert is human and just missed a few FG's.

Campbell did speak about the game at hand. A reporter asked how Gilbert reacted during the week in practice.

Campbell criticized fan over reaction and said Gilbert just practiced like usual. So guy who went 1-4 against KU was same guy who went 3-3 against KSU.

I guess fans were wrong.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Or maybe our fans who think Gilbert was "rattled" when he missed the FG's in the KU game could admit that Gilbert is human and just missed a few FG's.

Campbell did speak about the game at hand. A reporter asked how Gilbert reacted during the week in practice.

Campbell criticized fan over reaction and said Gilbert just practiced like usual. So guy who went 1-4 against KU was same guy who went 3-3 against KSU.

I guess fans were wrong.
Lol "just missed a few field goals"

He was clearly rattled. That's normal for that position. The last FG was a straight-up shank. That's what rattled does to you.

OldCurmudgeon

Nov 25, 2017
I sit near where the kickers warm up. I heard loud consistently positive comments being yelled at him all night. I’m sure there were fucktards online but it’s not the fanbase as a whole
I'm in that same section as well and concur. Looking at Twitter this week, players parents are all posting about taking it easy on the kids, so it definitely seems to be a theme.

LAClone

Apr 26, 2010
Yeah this is a good point, the kid got better. Everyone else?

They lost by 1 instead of 3, so clear improvement. The coaching staff is meeting the lowest of expectations, so everything is clearly fine.

/s

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Complete revisionist history. What team was missing tons of players because of Covid? Only Kansas State. No one else has massive amounts of players out due to Covid. People are just making **** up now to support their position.

WV was coming back from 3 weeks off.

I think ISU beats both of those teams anyway, but not the domination we saw which gives its own revisionist or at least rosy history.

FWIW that team was playing some very good football at the end of the season (aided by stupidity by Texas but not their fault) and I think it's what most people think of when it comes to ball control, complimentary football.

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I think people are really underestimating the effect COVID had on our opposition. Yes, KState and WVU had COVID issues, resulting in easy wins for us. COVID provided for a very "weird" college football season, which included Indiana having a better record than they should.

And, keep in mind, the one game we had COVID issues, we lost to a G5 ULL team in Week 1. So yes, COVID was a major factor that year. (and I've heard many people use COVID as an excuse as to why we lost that game.... so if COVID can be an excuse when we lose games, it should also be used as to why we won games too. Can't have it both ways.)

isufanz1

Apr 11, 2006
WDM
I don't have an issue with 7-5 or 8-4, I'm saying he's been successful so the idea that he's on the hot seat after 2 bad games is ridiculous.
I certainly did not say Matt is on the hot seat. I said ‘stalled’. And it is not after 2 bad games, it has after a very disappointing season last yr (this is well acknowledged), the makings of a disappointing season this yr and 3 of 4 being **** seasons according to CMC himself. (Don’t forget 2019 ended with a bad loss to KSU, terrible game against Drake, and an asskicking by ND).

The key is what he does to jump start things again. Maybe things like a Special Teams permanent coach, new OL coach, an outside offensive consultant to evaluate the playbook, etc. Calling out the fan base is not a good start. I want him to exceed as much as anyone, but in order for that to happen he will have to admit there are issues (record in one score games and last couple seasons should be a pretty clear picture).

• Funny
Reactions: t-noah