Matt Campbell postgame quote

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
He’s clearly frustrated and is going to want that one back. I will cut him some slack, as everyone is going to let pressure get to them at times. He’s been even keel since Day 1 and this is really the first time he’s starting to feel a bit of pressure from the fans.

I think he knows changes (aka firing of people) need to happen. But it’s his good buddy, so he’s just lashing out.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Lunacy. No substantial number of fans attacked the kicker himself. Made jokes about special teams, sure. Got mad at the offense, yes. Went after the kicker personally? Nope.

This is a guy who's been told his sht doesn't stink for too long. Hard to preach accountability if you won't practice it yourself.
It's very clear that winning in the margins, accountability, and being the best version of yourself is a rule for thee, not for me type deal in the Iowa State lockeroom right now

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
I don’t recall anyone frying Gilbert. If anything we said he shouldn’t be kicking for a chance at OT after 2 unfortunate doinks.
I posted this last week, someone leaked his cell number and a bunch of people went after him directly; not to mention in social media. Bad look for the students who booed him during introductions tonight too. I thought it was set up for him to make a game winner at the end of the game, but…

Last edited:

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
There has been more and more of this lately..."it's always hard here". "Rough side of the mountain" type stuff

I hope not, I love Matt, need to score though too,
Matt can still be a great head coach but part of the gig is firing staff that just aren't cutting it. I understand you don't want to fire a good friend but this is a job. If you supervise a friend who isn't doing ANYTHING productive, you usually give them a few warnings, a couple of strikes, and then they're gone if they don't meet the set expectations.

Matt right now by keeping Manning is settling for mediocrity. WE CAN'T EVEN PUT THE BALL IN THE END ZONE

Reactions: exCYtable

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
He’s clearly frustrated and is going to want that one back. I will cut him some slack, as everyone is going to let pressure get to them at times. He’s been even keel since Day 1 and this is really the first time he’s starting to feel a bit of pressure from the fans.

I think he knows changes (aka firing of people) need to happen. But it’s his good buddy, so he’s just lashing out.
So his response to fans finally having expectations is to lash out at them?

And lying about them blaming the kicker for the loss?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I'm afraid this might be the beginning of the end for CMC if he doesn't take some responsibility for these losses and do something about the offense. The fanbase will not be kind to CMC for ridiculing them after all the support they give to this program that continues to lose games they have no business losing.

Yeah, going after the fans after the last 2 weeks is a great way to turn the fan base against you. Which says something when Iowa State fans are generally one of the more patient fan bases

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I posted this last week, someone leaked his cell number and a bunch of people went after him directly; not to mention in social media. Bad look for the students into boo him during introductions tonight too. I thought it was set up for him to make a game winner at the end of the game, but…
That's bad. If this is true, I can see why Matt was so defensive but he could have phrased it a bit differently than throwing the entire fanbase under the bus versus the 5 losers who got a hold of Gilbert's phone number.