Matt Campbell postgame quote

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Majority of fans seem to have forgotten CMC's own quote about .500 teams. Given this season will be at best .500 (and that is very unlikely at this point), we will have 3 out of the last 4 yrs basically at .500 (7-6 and 6-7 considered .500) or worse. That is not a picture of a 'building program', it is a picture of a stalled program.

Two years removed from Fiesta Bowl and Big 12 Championship appearance and now we are a “stalled program.” Or it could be a reset year after putting 4 players in the NFL from last year’s squad.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I don’t really care either way but the fact that he’s talking about what happened last week and specifically something that happened off the field LAST WEEK is what is troubling to me. Total deflection on losing in embarrassing fashion to KSU. Blame anything but the fans please.

Losing by 1 to a team ranked in the Top #20 qualifies as “embarrassing.” We need to all take a few steps back from the ledge. Still opportunities out there to find a way to 6-6 or 7-5.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone and 0u812

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
Or that the 2020 success was a mirage from one of the weirdest seasons in the history of college football.
I think after seeing last year and this year, 2020 was only that successful because we didn't have as many covid protocol problems as other teams.
-Most of the teams we played and beat up on had tons of players out.
-We won a NY6 bowl against a poor Oregon team.

Do you guys remember Indiana being great in that covid year? that turned out to be a mirage as well.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Or that the 2020 success was a mirage from one of the weirdest seasons in the history of college football.

I don’t think it was a mirage but it was a weird season. But I don’t think you get to simply talk about a “stalled program” without acknowledging that in the 4th year (which I’m conveniently leaving out) this program went to the Fiesta Bowl and beat Oregon.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I don’t think it was a mirage but it was a weird season. But I don’t think you get to simply talk about a “stalled program” without acknowledging that in the 4th year (which I’m conveniently leaving out) this program went to the Fiesta Bowl and beat Oregon.

All true but it was also a 4 win Oregon team that didn't even win the Pac 12 North.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I think after seeing last year and this year, 2020 was only that successful because we didn't have as many covid protocol problems as other teams.
-Most of the teams we played and beat up on had tons of players out.
-We won a NY6 bowl against a poor Oregon team.

Do you guys remember Indiana being great in that covid year? that turned out to be a mirage as well.

Complete revisionist history. What team was missing tons of players because of Covid? Only Kansas State. No one else has massive amounts of players out due to Covid. People are just making **** up now to support their position.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Ok throw out his best and worst seasons, we've been 7-5 or 8-4 the other seasons.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
All true but it was also a 4 win Oregon team that didn't even win the Pac 12 North.

Well they only played 6 games so would 8-4 or 9-3 would have made a difference for you. Ohio State was only a 6 win team that year.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Two years removed from Fiesta Bowl and Big 12 Championship appearance and now we are a “stalled program.” Or it could be a reset year after putting 4 players in the NFL from last year’s squad.
ISU like K-State is a developmental program. There will be years when young talent isn't quite ready. We're not Bama, UGA, or tOSU.

Watching Saturday, I sensed your QB is going to be really good in the future. Great QB play is essential to winning. We all know that. He'll develop into a star, just as Purdy did under CMC.

So, all this angst here is understandable. Been there. But listen to me, you have a tough as nails program in Ames. Everyone outside, like me, see and understand that fact. No one wants to play up there. A little patience and enjoyment of the ride, bumpy as it may be today, is in order.

Beat Texass.

Last edited:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

But you can't claim those things about that season without acknowledging the COVID factor he's describing.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Ok throw out his best and worst seasons, we've been 7-5 or 8-4 the other seasons.

What exactly are the issues with being 7-5 and 8-4 every year with the occasional 5-7 or 6-6 and the occasional 9-3. That’s not a stalled program that is a really consistent and strong program.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Losing by 1 to a team ranked in the Top #20 qualifies as “embarrassing.” We need to all take a few steps back from the ledge. Still opportunities out there to find a way to 6-6 or 7-5.
Those opportunities are looking thinner and thinner with each passing week, unfortunately for us. We needed at least 1 of the last 2 games to keep some confidence, and preferably both to be on track for >.500.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
But you can't claim those things about that season without acknowledging the COVID factor he's describing.

CycloneErik,

You been around awhile and I respect you opinion. Do you really believe this program is stalled? I’ve seen programs that are death spirals and it usually doesn’t look like 3 losses by a combined 11 points. Maybe they get beat 49-7 this week but I would be surprised.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
CycloneErik,

You been around awhile and I respect you opinion. Do you really believe this program is stalled? I’ve seen programs that are death spirals and it usually doesn’t look like 3 losses by a combined 11 points. Maybe they get beat 49-7 this week but I would be surprised.

I'd say the odds are very high that it's stalled or declining.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
What exactly are the issues with being 7-5 and 8-4 every year with the occasional 5-7 or 6-6 and the occasional 9-3. That’s not a stalled program that is a really consistent and strong program.
I don't have an issue with 7-5 or 8-4, I'm saying he's been successful so the idea that he's on the hot seat after 2 bad games is ridiculous.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

I’m just laser focused on scoring a TD at this point. Good for you for being worried about winning games when we haven’t even won a drive in 7 quarters.

Reactions: CoKane