Matt Campbell postgame quote

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Speaking of Campbell's decisions, we wouldn't be having this convo at all if our coach had addressed the game at hand in his presser, rather than deflecting to fan base criticism. I wonder if the coach that preaches personal responsibility would like to have that one back?
Or maybe our fans who think Gilbert was "rattled" when he missed the FG's in the KU game could admit that Gilbert is human and just missed a few FG's.

Campbell did speak about the game at hand. A reporter asked how Gilbert reacted during the week in practice.

Campbell criticized fan over reaction and said Gilbert just practiced like usual. So guy who went 1-4 against KU was same guy who went 3-3 against KSU.

I guess fans were wrong.
Lol "just missed a few field goals"

He was clearly rattled. That's normal for that position. The last FG was a straight-up shank. That's what rattled does to you.
And I suppose a FB kicker shouldn't be a kicker if his feelings are easily hurt.

I say this being firmly in the camp of those who were and are against personal attacks on our players. I'm glad the kid bounced back and went 3 for 3. Very solid and speaks a lot about him.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
OKlaHoMa wAsnT ratLLeD.

He had the yips on the last field goal @ KU. It was horrible. Lol it happens and he ended up bouncing back big time one week later. Credit to him for that because he could’ve gone into a complete shell after that.

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
We would all be thrilled. Perhaps continuing to do the same thing over and over again will eventually produce such a result? Everyone should just be patient, supportive and think positive thoughts.
Certainly not. I'm not saying everything has to be all flowers and good feelings. The offensive staff certainly deserves criticism and needs to adjust what they are doing. But to go back to support your disapproval by saying that the Fiesta Bowl season doesn't really count as a good one because of COVID proves my point that some people will never be happy, no matter how well things go. And I have seen the COVID posts multiple times in here.

Reactions: t-noah

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
He had the yips on the last field goal @ KU. It was horrible. Lol it happens and he ended up bouncing back big time one week later. Credit to him for that because he could’ve gone into a complete shell after that.

Yes credit to him. Should have never been out there to kick that ball at KU. Know who your players are instead of trying to make them in to something they aren’t capable of being in the moment.

Maybe it’s just easier having a background in soccer. If someone has missed 2 PKs earlier in the game and your team gets another one in the 90th minute to win the game, no manager that likes having a job is going back to the same guy that already missed twice unless they are trying to make a point over getting a result.

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
What's the alternative, impatient, unsupportive and think negative thoughts?
Not at all, one play and one game at a time. Seeing some adjustments or variations of any type would be very welcome. This season could still turn around and be considered a success at 6-6. I just prefer to be objective and see some enduring changes before feeling more optimistic.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yes credit to him. Should have never been out there to kick that ball at KU. Know who your players are instead of trying to make them in to something they aren’t capable of being in the moment.

Maybe it’s just easier having a background in soccer. If someone has missed 2 PKs earlier in the game and your team gets another one in the 90th minute to win the game, no manager that likes having a job is going back to the same guy that already missed twice unless they are trying to make a point over getting a result.
Yeah I sort of feel the same way. I also wouldn’t have had a lick of confidence in our offense in that situation either. And I don’t know if Gilbert goes 3-3 in his next game if he doesn’t kick that one.

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA

It definitely shows either desperation, lack of a plan, or valuing something other than gaining a win.

Oct 6, 2022
I've read a lot of posts on this forum over the years and am some how still surprised how embarrassing a lot of you are at times. Sure is a lot of reading in to and creating a narrative about a simple quote calling out folks attacking a young man. Classic ISU overreaction by our sensitive fan base.
A guy who gets paid millions, has 62,000 show up to watch his offense **** the bed 2 weeks in a row, then makes a pissy comment post-game about the fans is ******** any way you look at it.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
A guy who gets paid millions, has 62,000 show up to watch his offense **** the bed 2 weeks in a row, then makes a pissy comment post-game about the fans is ******** any way you look at it.
Nice try, there were no more than 40k people in Lawrence. Boom, got him.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Didn’t the comment come with context though? Wasn’t he asked about the kicking situation?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Didn’t the comment come with context though? Wasn’t he asked about the kicking situation?
It sounded to be like he kind of shoehorned it in there but I hold heard the whole quote once. And when I heard the hole thing it didn’t sound quite as damning but I still think the phrasing wasn’t great.

Reactions: Statefan10

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
So the next time Rory McIlroy or Scottie Scheffler duck hooks a tee shot, the conclusion is they are rattled?

Nope, their timing is off or they slightly mishit the clubface. Even NFL kickers shank FG's. Doubt they are rattled.
If it's the third one of the round, yes, they are rattled. What's the big deal about admitting the kicker was rattled? He isn't the first.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10