Matt Campbell postgame quote

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Campbell is a politician. He rarely says anything publicly with any real substance. And most of his comments are calculated….he doesn’t just go off the handle. That he said this unprompted tells me he planned to get it in there somewhere. It’s a really bad look and he didn’t exactly revisit it in the Tuesday PC. Just my opinion, but I feel like this is the beginning of the end.

Reactions: Dowwmeow

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Campbell is a politician. He rarely says anything publicly with any real substance. And most of his comments are calculated….he doesn’t just go off the handle. That he said this unprompted tells me he planned to get it in there somewhere. It’s a really bad look and he didn’t exactly revisit it in the Tuesday PC. Just my opinion, but I feel like this is the beginning of the end.

As has been mentioned....if this is the beginning of the end having to do with CMC not able to handle even a small group of idiot fans, his next move should not be to an upper tier program.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
This is an interesting idea and makes a lot of sense, this quote sort of drew a lot of the ire away from the dumpster fire of an offensive scheme and coordinator to a person who has the juice to be bulletproof.

Reactions: Snydes

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
Someone in this thread noted people harassing Gilbert on his phone. I am sure that had to be worse than keyboard warriors trashing him.

My brother lived in the Towers when Tom Goedjen missed the only extra point attempt he ever missed that would have beaten Nebraska instead of tying them. Back when he and I lived in Towers, that’s where they put the football team. He said the in person abuse hurled at Goedjen by fellow students was brutal.
Tom is a great person and the field was muddy as heck that day as well.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
As has been mentioned....if this is the beginning of the end having to do with CMC not able to handle even a small group of idiot fans, his next move should not be to an upper tier program.
I've seen a few player's parents tweet out how they liked Campbell's quote as he was sticking up for his guys. Matt also isn't the type of guy that's going to apologize for doing that, even if it was in a situation where it wasn't warranted. I think "this is the beginning of the end" is a little bit over the top though. For crying out loud, this is the first time since Matt's been here where the fanbase has been this frustrated with a team of his. I'm going to cut him some slack on this one.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I've seen a few player's parents tweet out how they liked Campbell's quote as he was sticking up for his guys. Matt also isn't the type of guy that's going to apologize for doing that, even if it was in a situation where it wasn't warranted. I think "this is the beginning of the end" is a little bit over the top though. For crying out loud, this is the first time since Matt's been here where the fanbase has been this frustrated with a team of his. I'm going to cut him some slack on this one.
I give him a pass because it's the first adversity he's really ever had to face here. However, fan bases are very sensitive - our's probably as much as any because we want so desperately to have nice things for once. A coach can't lose his team and he can't lose his fans so he'll need to find more diplomatic ways in the future.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
This is an interesting idea and makes a lot of sense, this quote sort of drew a lot of the ire away from the dumpster fire of an offensive scheme and coordinator to a person who has the juice to be bulletproof.

But it didn’t. Everyone is still ******** about the offense.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I don't mean beginning of the end like that. Pretty much anywhere he goes from here on out is going to have a more vocal and critical fanbase than ISU does. I just took it as a sign that maybe he's a little more open to looking around than previously thought. But maybe it's nothing and in reality it's just a form of deflection from the bad showing by the offense.

Reactions: madguy30

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
I give him a pass because it's the first adversity he's really ever had to face here. However, fan bases are very sensitive - our's probably as much as any because we want so desperately to have nice things for once. A coach can't lose his team and he can't lose his fans so he'll need to find more diplomatic ways in the future.

You are being very kind.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I definitely agree but also think that us fans need to try and not take things so personally. If we'd have won that game and Matt made the quote, 99% of us fans would've said "hell yes Matt, go after those fans who didn't believe in our kicker". But we lost so instead we latch on to the fact that it was deflecting from the actual problems.

Reactions: jsb

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I definitely agree but also think that us fans need to try and not take things so personally. If we'd have won that game and Matt made the quote, 99% of us fans would've said "hell yes Matt, go after those fans who didn't believe in our kicker". But we lost so instead we latch on to the fact that it was deflecting from the actual problems.

I’m surprised at how stupid a lot of us are. It was a dumb thing for him to say. But the number of people that were personally insulted by it is ridiculous.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I’m surprised at how stupid a lot of us are. It was a dumb thing for him to say. But the number of people that were personally insulted by it is ridiculous.
We're all overreacting and need to move on. Matt already has, which is why he didn't comment on it on Tuesday.

Reactions: VeloClone

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
We'll move on right after our offense shows any sort of creativity or ingenuity.

The bigger insult to the fans is that ISU went into this season like this. Almost no changes to how to attack Iowa's defense, and now everyone runs that against us.

Year 7. 7. Millions of dollars. What exactly did they do in the offseason?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't mean beginning of the end like that. Pretty much anywhere he goes from here on out is going to have a more vocal and critical fanbase than ISU does. I just took it as a sign that maybe he's a little more open to looking around than previously thought. But maybe it's nothing and in reality it's just a form of deflection from the bad showing by the offense.

What's funny is it's probably like uniforms where it's a topic that the team hardly spends any time on.

People are morons, CMC has his players' back, on to Texas and hopefully come out in 4 wide sets to get the ball downfield. :)

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I sincerely believe that if we would've lost the three games we have by more than one score people wouldn't be as upset. We've lost 3 very close games to 3 very solid opponents and it's the end of the world for some. I know we're passionate as well as this is a message board so everything is over the top, but cmon. We were all expecting a rebuilding year of some sort and the moment we beat Iowa, all of our expectations skyrocketed (including mine). There are still winnable games on this schedule for us to get to 6-7 wins, which is right where many of us thought we'd end up.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
We'll move on right after our offense shows any sort of creativity or ingenuity.

The bigger insult to the fans is that ISU went into this season like this. Almost no changes to how to attack Iowa's defense, and now everyone runs that against us.

Year 7. 7. Millions of dollars. What exactly did they do in the offseason?
Toxic.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006

Generally I would agree with this sentiment, and it makes sense. But, I also think CMC loves the us against the world narrative, and the world includes everyone outside the inner circle including the fans. He loved the pandemic at the time because there were no fans in the stands. He frankly is never gonna love the fans, and he is probably better staying at ISU because we will care the least about that.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I sincerely believe that if we would've lost the three games we have by more than one score people wouldn't be as upset. We've lost 3 very close games to 3 very solid opponents and it's the end of the world for some. I know we're passionate as well as this is a message board so everything is over the top, but cmon. We were all expecting a rebuilding year of some sort and the moment we beat Iowa, all of our expectations skyrocketed (including mine). There are still winnable games on this schedule for us to get to 6-7 wins, which is right where many of us thought we'd end up.
This. ISU is not getting blown off the field. They could easily be 6-0 with a few adjustments. The offense needs to start airing it out more. The D is holding their own. This is not the ERA of Walden, Criner, Rhoades, and (some years) McCarney. Matt has gotten ISU to new levels. There will be some years of rebuilding, too. We are not lucky enough to be in the B1G West. We will be ok, folks.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron