Matt Campbell postgame quote

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It sounded to be like he kind of shoehorned it in there but I hold heard the whole quote once. And when I heard the hole thing it didn’t sound quite as damning but I still think the phrasing wasn’t great.
Oh I agree it didn’t sound great. It wasn’t a good PR move by him whatsoever. Even though he was standing up for a player, there were lot of better ways to do that than he did.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Yes credit to him. Should have never been out there to kick that ball at KU. Know who your players are instead of trying to make them in to something they aren’t capable of being in the moment.

Maybe it’s just easier having a background in soccer. If someone has missed 2 PKs earlier in the game and your team gets another one in the 90th minute to win the game, no manager that likes having a job is going back to the same guy that already missed twice unless they are trying to make a point over getting a result.

The kicks hit the upright on both occasions. The fact that a coach doesn’t have confidence enough to go back to you on a 38 yd FG likely does more damage long term.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
The kicks hit the upright on both occasions. The fact that a coach doesn’t have confidence enough to go back to you on a 38 yd FG likely does more damage long term.
I disagree with that. In hockey if a goalie is getting shelled, he gets pulled so his confidence isn't shattered for the next game. Sometimes its just not your day, let someone else handle the duties that day.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

I seriously hope you aren’t suggesting that in football, of all sports, the kickers fee-fees are more important than get the team a W. Get the W, worry about fee-fees later.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I disagree with that. In hockey if a goalie is getting shelled, he gets pulled so his confidence isn't shattered for the next game. Sometimes its just not your day, let someone else handle the duties that day.

Depends on the kid. Secondly it depends on the situation. People talk as though it was a foregone conclusion that if we pick up the 4th and 1 at the 21 that we automatically score a TD. What if three plays later it is 4th and 7 and you are now forced to go back to this same kicker for a 34 yd FG that you just passed on from 38.

Reactions: agentbear

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I seriously hope you aren’t suggesting that in football, of all sports, the kickers fee-fees are more important than get the team a W. Get the W, worry about fee-fees later.

I’m not suggesting he makes the decision based on the kicker’s feeling. I think those people that think getting 4th and 1 at the 21 automatically equates to a TD are wrong. Good chance you need the kicker again after passing over him for a 38 yd FG.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I’m not suggesting he makes the decision based on the kicker’s feeling. I think those people that think getting 4th and 1 at the 21 automatically equates to a TD are wrong. Good chance you need the kicker again after passing over him for a 38 yd FG.

It was 4th and 1/2 yard and it's more the lack of 'let's ****ing go!' that was more bothersome.

'Sneak' should be automatic and what was worse was ISU waffling around for 30 seconds instead of just getting up and earning three more plays.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
If it's the third one of the round, yes, they are rattled. What's the big deal about admitting the kicker was rattled? He isn't the first.
Because there is a difference between "getting rattled" and missing a shot/kick because form is off or over compensating.

Just don't believe the stage was too big and nerves got to him.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
Which was never what you were throwing **** at the wall about. You were throwing **** about the expectation that we should score more than 1 TD over 2 games we lost. And your sidenote of winning on FGs and safeties didn't happen.

So, what exactly are you arguing for, again? I'll stick with the common sense take that scoring more leads to more winning.

Lol just ignore him. He's just playing that weird forum "gotcha" game and trolling you. Successfully, I might add. People like that aren't worth speaking to.

• Agree
  • Sad
Reactions: legi and 3TrueFans

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Depends on the kid. Secondly it depends on the situation. People talk as though it was a foregone conclusion that if we pick up the 4th and 1 at the 21 that we automatically score a TD. What if three plays later it is 4th and 7 and you are now forced to go back to this same kicker for a 34 yd FG that you just passed on from 38.

You are correct. And more than likely with the way the offense is playing they wouldn't have scored a TD. But what if those extra 4 yards mean it doesn't go "doink"? Always try and get a kicker closer. It's like that from HS to the pro's.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Stalled? That is Chizik and Rhoads getting 3 wins each year. Elation was becoming bowl eligible once a decade. Maybe
The Chiz never even got the car started, and Rhoads was clearly in decline from mediocre for a couple of seasons.
Stalled is a correct term for what we are seeing this year, and at different times last year. IMO.
I have to say, an Iowa State football program that "stalls" at having a winning season with a bowl appearance 80% of the time, has a winning conference record over half of the time, and that has a legitimate chance to compete for a conference title 30-40% of the time, is in a pretty good place, all things considered.

I think that CMC and his staff have been one of the most successful recruiting staffs ISU has ever had (I would even say they are clearly the most successful). That success has moved our recruiting classes from 8th or 9th in the Big 12 on an annual basis up to 4th, 5th or 6th. This is good improvement, and I think it's very unfair to think that this type of recruiting performance should be expected as the norm if we were to replace the coaching staff. Even so, though, recruiting at this level does not really suggest that we should be 9-3 on a regular basis. There will be a few mediocre years where things don't quite pan out as hoped, and a few really good years where things come together great.

With respect to the real issue at hand, the poor offensive performance, what I see is a shortage of speedy playmakers (thank goodness for X and how dependable he has been), combined with an offensive line that is pretty decent at pass protection but just not strong at moving the line of scrimmage in the run game, combined with two consecutive games of trotting out our 3rd and 4th string running backs due to injuries to our top two guys. Not sure how many "elite" OC's would be flourishing in that scenario...certainly I agree that we could and should look a little better than we have, but not by leaps and bounds. And if X holds onto one pass in each game that he normally does (KU in the endzone, KSU on 4th down), we might be 2-1 in the Big 12 and counting our lucky stars that we survived our mediocre play.

So, I am not panicking. I don't think CMC is panicking. I think he is, to a fault, defensive of his players and assistant coaches, and speaks only positively of them all in public -- I consider that a wonderful quality that he has. I don't know what he is like with them all in private, but I'm guessing that he is more direct and demanding in that context...that's the kind of leader I really like and respect. Bottom line for me -- give me as many years with CMC as we can get, while he's human and not perfect, I think he's the best we've ever had, at least in my lifetime (1993 ISU grad).
Counterpoint. Check. I understand.
Not at all, one play and one game at a time. Seeing some adjustments or variations of any type would be very welcome. This season could still turn around and be considered a success at 6-6. I just prefer to be objective and see some enduring changes before feeling more optimistic.
Yup, this is where I am. I guess the season could still turn around, and if it does great! Does it seem like it will with our play and play calling? Nope, not really.

And the other Big 12 coaches, many being newer ones, are seemingly passing us by in scheme and creativity (offensively). I too would love to see "some adjustments and variations of any type". I think we can do better.
I bet our nonexistent offense that everyone hates would have gained the first down and then scored in a minute.
Good point.
It was 4th and 1/2 yard and it's more the lack of 'let's ****ing go!' that was more bothersome.

'Sneak' should be automatic and what was worse was ISU waffling around for 30 seconds instead of just getting up and earning three more plays.
Another good point. I can straddle the fence, yes I can.

That's kind of where I am at now. I'm straddling the fence. Campbell has earned a ton of good will. On the other hand I don't see too much creativity or great play calling with our offensive scheme.

It just seems a little more difficult to believe Campbell when he says things like we are just "this close" to turning it around. Some of his coach-speak is losing meaning. We just lost to the two Kansas schools, both of whom have better offenses than we do currently. Give them credit, but...

The remaining schedule does not look good for any likely wins, the way we are playing (defense excepted). It sure doesn't seem like we are "this close".

I'm trying to be patient. Usually I'm one of the 'supportive' ones. I'll hang in there. What else is there?

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa

Has ISU ever under CMC seemed to handle the hurry-up offense well? And looked poised in the 2 minute drill?

I love the lack of penalties in the tenure. Shows coaching and discipline.

But golly, can we look like we have the ability to move and score quickly if possible?

Related, does it seem like ISU has a full package dedicated to just passing? I mean, for those times when you gotta throw, period. No doubt, just go, go, go? Because I can't remember seeing what looks like one from this group.

• Winner
Reactions: SCarolinaCy

ARCYCLONE

Nov 16, 2020
Arkansas
On the fourth down and less than a yard call - I think we should have gone for the first down. I was yelling at the TV at the time (out of state) but obviously MC couldn't hear me. Not a negative on our kicker but with 40+ seconds left you should be still trying to win the game, not tying the game. Still time to tie the game later in the drive. The fans, the team and the kicker would all understand this.
On MC's comments - probably some frustration showing but I love that he has the entire coaching staff and team's back. In the long run they need that and we'll be a better program for it. Social media is out of control and can be brutal. Worse than 7th grade gossip on the playground back in my day but similar in the intellect of the comments. I would rather he came out and called out the few instead of saying 'fanbase' and I think he wished he phrased it differently but I understand the frustration. Glad he addressed it.

Reactions: VeloClone

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
On the fourth down and less than a yard call - I think we should have gone for the first down. I was yelling at the TV at the time (out of state) but obviously MC couldn't hear me. Not a negative on our kicker but with 40+ seconds left you should be still trying to win the game, not tying the game. Still time to tie the game later in the drive. The fans, the team and the kicker would all understand this.
On MC's comments - probably some frustration showing but I love that he has the entire coaching staff and team's back. In the long run they need that and we'll be a better program for it. Social media is out of control and can be brutal. Worse than 7th grade gossip on the playground back in my day but similar in the intellect of the comments. I would rather he came out and called out the few instead of saying 'fanbase' and I think he wished he phrased it differently but I understand the frustration. Glad he addressed it.

More like 60+ seconds left in the game.... and 4th and a foot. With a kicker that's missed 2 FG's already. It's not even a tough decision IMO.... you go for it.

And it you don't make it... you can at least justify your decision by saying your kicker had already missed 2 fairly easy FGs already, and you only needed a foot, AND you were trying to win the game instead of tie it.

• Winner
Reactions: quasistellar

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
And it you don't make it... you can at least justify your decision by saying your kicker had already missed 2 fairly easy FGs already, and you only needed a foot, AND you were trying to win the game instead of tie it.
If we're looking at what-if postgame scenario, there'd be no reason to mention kicker at all to justify going for it.

If the play-call/execution of the 4th-and-short bombed, fans would've freaked out about THAT, but few would second-guess and say, "FG obviously was better choice."

Reactions: Stormin

bnk

Sep 10, 2022
Yeah I totally get it and I agree. The whole woe is me Iowa State mentality needs to go. The older cyclone fans are awful with this. Every time something happens in a game that is negative you just hear the "here we go" grumbles.
interesting take. i used to have to listen to ISU FB on the radio, because it was never on tv. BB was even worse, because it was on AM radio at night, and you could barely hear it. i have seen and listened to some really bad football. but i'm the problem, because i get upset when we make stupid mistakes with vastly more talented players/coaches? My father got to see the earl bruce teams while he was attending ISU. but he is a bad fan. still an ISU fan, but he's the problem too, right? . go ahead and look up the win loss records of ISU coaches for the last 50 years.
you know when you see bad plays, and stupid mistakes. so do us "old" cyclone fans. I don't have a woe is me ISU mentality. If i did, I wouldn't be here. I wouldn't have been a fan for 40(ish) years, that I can remember, i won't count the 7-8 years when i was so young i didn't know what was going on.

signed, awful ISU fan

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
interesting take. i used to have to listen to ISU FB on the radio, because it was never on tv. BB was even worse, because it was on AM radio at night, and you could barely hear it. i have seen and listened to some really bad football. but i'm the problem, because i get upset when we make stupid mistakes with vastly more talented players/coaches? My father got to see the earl bruce teams while he was attending ISU. but he is a bad fan. still an ISU fan, but he's the problem too, right? . go ahead and look up the win loss records of ISU coaches for the last 50 years.
you know when you see bad plays, and stupid mistakes. so do us "old" cyclone fans. I don't have a woe is me ISU mentality. If i did, I wouldn't be here. I wouldn't have been a fan for 40(ish) years, that I can remember, i won't count the 7-8 years when i was so young i didn't know what was going on.

signed, awful ISU fan
Old or new, we are all fans. And most fans do not enjoy losing.

Good post. Stand up for you.

Also, post more often! It's good for all of us and good for the site!

Reactions: VeloClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron