Matt Campbell postgame quote

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
But you'd rather lose while scoring a touchdown than win on only field goals?
I'd prefer winning games and scoring plenty of points, like a normal person. Not pretending that losing games without scoring points is some sort of moral victory.

We didn't win any of our last 3 games. 2 of them are strictly due to the inability to score meaningfully.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Prohm was terrible. He didn’t build the program. He inherited a great situation. Sucked as a coach. Don’t equate Campbell to Prohm. We got freaking Prohm because of some fans screaming “process”. Can’t hire TJ. Trust Pollard. Trust Campbell. We are in good hands.
Read below on Prohm. Posted at the same time you did I think.
As for the rest of that, the fans werent who got Prohm hired. Fred made a huge push to Pollard and Jamie saw a good fit. TJ wasnt ready for the job yet either. The UNLV and South Dakota State jobs taught him a ton

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
You have that right as well. If youre someone who spend money on the team thats a very different and earned mentality. The rest of my post is not a shot at you btw.

Im not at all saying bury the past and start firing people for 9-3. But this "Poor little Iowa State. We failed in the 90s so we're doomed to hell. Any wins ever are a miracle really." Mentality needs to go. Its not impossible to win here. We did literally 2 years ago.

We're the only fanbase who plays this card in the conference. Baylor doesn't. TCU doesn't use their old G5 status as a crutch. The 4 new schools won't either. I feel like we're almost becoming the Anti-Nebraska where we have people who refuse to look at things happening in the 2020s due to how bad we were 30, yes 30, years ago.

Im not saying yall have to agree with all my points or arguments. If you dont have an issue with things and enjoy every moment of not being 2-10 then do you. Im not gonna tell you how to enjoy things. But god damn, quit telling everyone how bad it used to be. Because its not that anymore and it doesnt have to be that way again either

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'd prefer winning games and scoring plenty of points, like a normal person. Not pretending that losing games without scoring points is some sort of moral victory.

We didn't win any of our last 3 games. 2 of them are strictly due to the inability to score meaningfully.
So it's settled, we win games in any way possible going forward.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Fine. I agree it was a dumb thing to say. But that wasn't the point you were making. You said it would have been better if he had said 'some of the fans'. Even if he had said 'some of the fans', he would have still been deflecting.

I've said this before, but I'm going to keep harping on it. When people are upset about something, they deflect. He should have known better. But he was pissed and said it. No one with half a brain should think he's cool with scoring 9 points on Saturday. Frankly the fact that he DID deflect, makes me think he knows there is an issue.

And maybe that issue is trying to plug in the same offense with different players.

The O line blows okay. Oh every now and then it's a........wow. But overall......they couldn't control the LOS if their lives depended on it.

So we have no running game. And not that he can thanks in part to the O line, but Dekkers at least at this point in his career isn't capable of sitting back in the pocket and pick defenses apart. He just doesn't have "it". See Purdy's first game against Okie State as a reference.

So yeah, there is an issue. It's either they don't know how to utilize what talent there is.................or there is little Big 12 talent on the offensive side of the ball to utilize.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Our great frustration as a fanbase is that since the start of the CMC era, we’ve gone from a team with less talent that outworked everyone and maxed out to win games (easy to be proud of), to a team that should have more talent based on our recruiting, but is playing about as terribly as is possible at least on the offensive side of the ball. We used to hit our ceiling through attitude and effort, and now we’re much closer to the floor of what our talent should allow us to do. It’s evident that I’m not alone in feeling this way simply based on the general atmosphere within JTS now.

This year was always going to be tougher because of all the guys we lost, but the fans’ frustration isn’t all from this year - it’s a continuation of how let down we felt from last season. Historically, should we be happy with 7-win seasons? Absolutely. But we know how much more was right there, and the same trend of underachieving and beating ourselves has continued into this season, with a number of different players. It’s no wonder that fans are blaming the coaches…who else would be responsible for it? I’m still grateful we have CMC, and he has brought the program to its best place in school history, but we are epically failing at trying to take that “next step” right now, and it has nothing to do with the fanbase or even a single player who missed a few FGs in one game.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
It was not very eloquent from Matt, and I imagine he'd tell you that now. I do think, though, that Campbell is just a different breed when it comes to his commitment to his players. And while it obviously stinks to lose, I imagine he was really, really happy for Gilbert bouncing back, and I truly think that stories of perseverance like this are what Campbell finds most important.

So I don't know if it was purposeful deflection, and I'd have to guess he had the line about the fans back, but I think he was highlighting how proud he was of Gilbert as a freshman to bounce back like that.

Reactions: bozclone and Cydkar

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Which was never what you were throwing **** at the wall about. You were throwing **** about the expectation that we should score more than 1 TD over 2 games we lost. And your sidenote of winning on FGs and safeties didn't happen.

So, what exactly are you arguing for, again? I'll stick with the common sense take that scoring more leads to more winning.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Like Blum said on the podcast, if he'd just said "some of" or "parts of" I wouldn't have a problem with it.
Using that logic, as Cyclone fans we can't criticize the Hawkeye, Husker or Jayhawk fan bases. Any poster needs to qualify their statement of criticism with some, part or the idiot few. Like it or not, you are sometimes characterized by the company you keep.

Or conversely, we always need to qualify out compliment of Hilton Magic. Many Cyclone fans make Hiton great, but:
  • That elderly couple in section 105, row 6 need to get off their arse when Robert Jones makes a 3.
  • Those 3 cute girls in the student section need to get off their phones and cheer.
If we are going to dissect every spoken word, we become focussed on the mole hill instead of the mountain.

Cyclone fans were directly critical of Gilbert.

Cyclone fans were critical of Campbell's decision to have Gilbert attempt a 38 yard FG. Gilbert is on a football scholarship for 1 reason. Make FG's. For fans to say Matt Campbell shouldn't have confidence in Gilbert to kick what is basically an NFL extra point, IS criticism of Gilbert.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Fine. I agree it was a dumb thing to say. But that wasn't the point you were making. You said it would have been better if he had said 'some of the fans'. Even if he had said 'some of the fans', he would have still been deflecting.

I didn't say that. I agreed with another poster that said it. My gripe with Campbell has been not going for it on either 4th down at KU and sending his kicker out.

• Agree
Reactions: MeowingCows

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
You’re picking the dumbest argument. I think most understand scoring 0-1 td a game isn’t a recipe for long term success. Sure, I’d be happy if we happened to win games 6-3 while going 8-5, but that doesn’t happen anywhere.

• Agree
Reactions: legi and alarson

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Which was never what you were throwing **** at the wall about. You were throwing **** about the expectation that we should score more than 1 TD over 2 games we lost. And your sidenote of winning on FGs and safeties didn't happen.

So, what exactly are you arguing for, again? I'll stick with the common sense take that scoring more leads to more winning.
Get off the struggle bus for a bit.

• Dumb
Reactions: quasistellar

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
Our great frustration as a fanbase is that since the start of the CMC era, we’ve gone from a team with less talent that outworked everyone and maxed out to win games (easy to be proud of), to a team that should have more talent based on our recruiting, but is playing about as terribly as is possible at least on the offensive side of the ball. We used to hit our ceiling through attitude and effort, and now we’re much closer to the floor of what our talent should allow us to do. It’s evident that I’m not alone in feeling this way simply based on the general atmosphere within JTS now.

This year was always going to be tougher because of all the guys we lost, but the fans’ frustration isn’t all from this year - it’s a continuation of how let down we felt from last season. Historically, should we be happy with 7-win seasons? Absolutely. But we know how much more was right there, and the same trend of underachieving and beating ourselves has continued into this season, with a number of different players. It’s no wonder that fans are blaming the coaches…who else would be responsible for it? I’m still grateful we have CMC, and he has brought the program to its best place in school history, but we are epically failing at trying to take that “next step” right now, and it has nothing to do with the fanbase or even a single player who missed a few FGs in one game.
This is 100% right. Fan frustration is about how we are underachieving with the talent we have. We are not the same team or recruiting quality as we were in 2016 or 2017. But we're certainly playing below our potential. Kansas beat us with players who weren't in the top 2000 in their recruiting class. Saw that Jaylen Daniels was like 2100 or something.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
You have that right as well. If youre someone who spend money on the team thats a very different and earned mentality. The rest of my post is not a shot at you btw.

Im not at all saying bury the past and start firing people for 9-3. But this "Poor little Iowa State. We failed in the 90s so we're doomed to hell. Any wins ever are a miracle really." Mentality needs to go. Its not impossible to win here. We did literally 2 years ago.

We're the only fanbase who plays this card in the conference. Baylor doesn't. TCU doesn't use their old G5 status as a crutch. The 4 new schools won't either. I feel like we're almost becoming the Anti-Nebraska where we have people who refuse to look at things happening in the 2020s due to how bad we were 30, yes 30, years ago.

Im not saying yall have to agree with all my points or arguments. If you dont have an issue with things and enjoy every moment of not being 2-10 then do you. Im not gonna tell you how to enjoy things. But god damn, quit telling everyone how bad it used to be. Because its not that anymore and it doesnt have to be that way again either
Yeah I totally get it and I agree. The whole woe is me Iowa State mentality needs to go. The older cyclone fans are awful with this. Every time something happens in a game that is negative you just hear the "here we go" grumbles.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
Cyclone fans were directly critical of Gilbert.

Cyclone fans were critical of Campbell's decision to have Gilbert attempt a 38 yard FG. Gilbert is on a football scholarship for 1 reason. Make FG's. For fans to say Matt Campbell shouldn't have confidence in Gilbert to kick what is basically an NFL extra point, IS criticism of Gilbert.
Some were critical of Gilbert again KS, IMO most were not. MANY were critical of Campbell's decision not to go for it. If he's such a player's coach, after all, he had to know that Gilbert was rattled that game. Yet he chose to play for a tie, knowing that. Then a week later he's b***hy at the fans, when his staff has just coached another stinker? Sucks to be on the hot seat, sure. But when a coach blames fans for anything, it's the coach that needs to get right.

Reactions: xboxfever

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
You’re picking the dumbest argument. I think most understand scoring 0-1 td a game isn’t a recipe for long term success. Sure, I’d be happy if we happened to win games 6-3 while going 8-5, but that doesn’t happen anywhere.
I was just responding to the guy that said he wanted touchdowns and not wins.

• Dumb
Reactions: alarson

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
I saw several. I'm sure there were even more on Twitter. Here is a sample from the game day thread.

"What's worse, the CF server or Jace Gilbert"
"Three missed field goals cost us the game....its time for a new kicker!!
"******* joke. He better not kick again. Special team embarrassment again"
"Pull his scholarship...tonight"
"Leave the loser in Lawrence"
"Gilbert is absolute trash"
I didn't spend enough time reading comments to catch those. There clearly was some "frying" then. Overall though, CF comments may have been relatively kind.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

Dirtguy4CY

May 4, 2022
Definite problems with the offense, but I largely agree. We could easily have a better record, and honestly we probably should have anticipated at least a small step backwards.
A step back wasn't shocking yes, but this aww shucks we lost 3 really close games, people need to chill is dumb. The Baylor loss is whatever, they were the better team in the second half. But to loose the last two games against teams that you should beat, even with a crappy offense, is something that should create pressure on the coaches to change. There needs to be some sort of change. Having an attitude of it could be worse or remember when it was worse is a slippery slope back to the basement.

Baylor's season last year is something that Iowa State could of had / should of had with a consistent competent offense. This year while breaking in new faces, should at least have a floor of 7-5. We will be lucky to be 6-6 and should be 5-1 at the current moment. All this "growth" that we here of every week is starting to fall on def ears. " Talk is cheap" Doers Do and they need to start doing something to change.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron