Local Golf Tournaments 2021

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
That’s very interesting. Covid is pretty much nonexistent in a golf setting... Is this a private or public course? I assume who ever is running the course just doesn’t want to put anything together/have to deal with any tournaments.

I guess I could see if they couldn’t do like food/awards/registration inside because of space restrictions in smaller course clubhouses?

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
That’s very interesting. Covid is pretty much nonexistent in a golf setting... Is this a private or public course? I assume who ever is running the course just doesn’t want to put anything together/have to deal with any tournaments.
Kinda a hybrid- members only on weekends/ major holidays,greens fees M-F. Definitely older clientele. Their tournaments are way more social gathering than competition based. The way the greenskeeper explained it- they don’t see the point if the clubhouse, kitchen, nor bar can be open. This was early March though, may have changed.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I guess I could see if they couldn’t do like food/awards/registration inside because of space restrictions in smaller course clubhouses?
9 hole course but beautiful, new, large clubhouse. There haven’t been any wedding receptions, graduation stuff etc since the pandemic. Probably all the cleaning, disinfecting expense, whatever caused them to believe it wasn’t worth it.

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
Kinda a hybrid- members only on weekends/ major holidays,greens fees M-F. Definitely older clientele. Their tournaments are way more social gathering than competition based. The way the greenskeeper explained it- they don’t see the point if the clubhouse, kitchen, nor bar can be open. This was early March though, may have changed.

Are you in Iowa? Why can’t any of those be open? And like you said... early March and maybe things have changed.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
The only reason they stay afloat is because all labor is donated other than the FT groundskeeper and PT HS kid they hire in the summer to help out. And I think the night bartender is paid. Everything else is donated time/ unpaid. Plus these are all retired, older people. Dumb for them to do anything risky.
Are you in Iowa? Why can’t any of those be open? And like you said... early March and maybe things have changed.
Maybe the demand is so great for regular play they make more money from that than hosting a tournament/event on a weekend day?

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
The only reason they stay afloat is because all labor is donated other than the FT groundskeeper and PT HS kid they hire in the summer to help out. And I think the night bartender is paid. Everything else is donated time/ unpaid. Plus these are all retired, older people. Dumb for them to do anything risky.

This is one of the oddest concepts I have heard of... let alone pretty much zero risk... if they are older.. maybe they should put the sticks away.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
This is one of the oddest concepts I have heard of... let alone pretty much zero risk... if they are older.. maybe they should put the sticks away.
Why? Seems like the model works fine in non-pandemic years.

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
Why? Seems like the model works fine in non-pandemic years.

You stated that everything but the course is closed... (I’m not even sure how you pay for your green fees if the Clubhouse is closed)... but I’m just saying.. it’s an odd concept to have people volunteer to keep the course open... you also didn’t state where you’re located... so that might answer some questions.

Last edited:

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
You stated that everything but the course is closed... (I’m not even sure how you pay for your green fees if the Clubhouse is closed)... but I’m just saying.. it’s an odd concept to have people volunteer to keep the course open... you also didn’t state where you’re located... so that might answer some questions.
You’ve never played a course where you pay greens fees on the honor system? Put your money in the little envelope, write your info on the outside, drop it through the slot?

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
You’ve never played a course where you pay greens fees on the honor system? Put your money in the little envelope, write your info on the outside, drop it through the slot?

Haha. No. I haven’t... but again - you’re not saying this course name/location... so I don’t know if you’re being serious or if you’re trying to bring a Covid Scare up again.

• Agree
Reactions: ClonesFTW

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Haha. No. I haven’t... but again - you’re not saying this course name/location... so I don’t know if you’re being serious or if you’re trying to bring a Covid Scare up again.
I’m not “trying” to do anything. You’re missing out on some fun 9 hole munis scattered throughout Iowa it sounds like. Guess we can’t all be a touring pro like you though big shooter.

• Creative
Reactions: Isualum13 and I@ST1

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames

You have some catching up to do. Greens fees and season passes here in Ames at Homewood Golf have been paid by telephone with credit cards for the last two seasons.

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
You have some catching up to do. Greens fees and season passes here in Ames at Homewood Golf have been paid by telephone with credit cards for the last two seasons.

Who answers the phone? He said the Clubhouse was closed.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
Anybody know of 2 or 4-person best shots during the week in Central Iowa for July/August? I enjoy playing new courses any chance I get