Lanning

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Kansas, K-State, TCU, West Virginia, Oklahoma. Possibly also Texas and Texas Tech.

Not Tech and if Ash was healthy at Texas it would be a two man race with Richardson. QB play in the Big 12 is way down compared a couple of years ago.
TCU is ok with Pachall back and K-State has their system working now.

Cpech56

Aug 12, 2012
A healthy Richardson would start for most Big XII teams this season.

Keep drinking the Kool Aid. At some point you need to take your stance as a fan and tuck it in your back pocket and look at skill and reality. Whether healthy or not he's a one or possibly a two star division one quarterback. The coaching staff decided to not pull Lannings redshirt with hopes that Rohach would be anymore of a turd than he's been and like they have been so many times they were wrong. The coaching staffs gotta be held responsible and the changes are soon to come. It gets old when fans continue to be blind to reality.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Keep drinking the Kool Aid. At some point you need to take your stance as a fan and tuck it in your back pocket and look at skill and reality. Whether healthy or not he's a one or possibly a two star division one quarterback. The coaching staff decided to not pull Lannings redshirt with hopes that Rohach would be anymore of a turd than he's been and like they have been so many times they were wrong. The coaching staffs gotta be held responsible and the changes are soon to come. It gets old when fans continue to be blind to reality.

What gets old are fans like yourself who don't realize that poor offense doesn't always mean that your qb sucks.

Reactions: CyBobby

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

The reality is that our coaching staff's ability to screw up QBs is rivaled only by their inability to come up with an offensive game plan. Johnny Manziel would look like a 'one or possibly two star star division one quarterback' if Rhoads and Mess were coaching him.

Last edited:

Cpech56

Aug 12, 2012
The reality is that our coaching staff's ability to screw up QBs is rivaled only by their inability to come up with an offensive game plan. Johnny Manziel would look like a 'one and possibly two star star division one quarterback' if Rhoads and Mess were coaching him.

Leave Rhoads out of that. Rhoads simply does the best with what he had to work with this year. Both qbs and a craphole OC gave him no hope. It starts with recruiting and if it doesnt change soon we'll be left continued mediocracy.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Wow. It was just a year ago that the coaches were saying that Richardson's great performance in the Kansas game was so much better than what he was doing in practice!

Cpech56

Aug 12, 2012
What gets old are fans like yourself who don't realize that poor offense doesn't always mean that your qb sucks.

Did I say anywhere Mess needs to stay or that he's not half the problem? A blind rat could see we have a poor offense. With a good OC sure Sam would look better but so would Barbara Walters at this point. Skill wise he is a mediocre quarterback and the sooner you realize that the better you'll be.

D UP Clones

Oct 25, 2006
Uh, there is no doubt richardson would start over mccoy at texas... he is awful and ash wasn't much better. West virginian.yes... kansas..yea.. kstate possibly (looks better than waters when I watch), oklahoma...heck yes.. terrible quarterbacks there.

Most of you can't separate talent by position.. you don't even get that you can have really good players on terrible offenses.

The offensive coordinator is not helping any of these guys at all. Richardsons onlybproble was he got hit too much early on and needed tobhave some rotate it different series to relieve some of that pressure. Rhoads and his oc need to figure that out.

Kstate plays two quarterbacks for that reason. When they run the ball you need to get them off the field some.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Richardson is one of the top QB's in the Big 12 this year. He has put up similar numbers with other QB's (other than Petty) with less options and a beat up O-Line. The guy should never have been benched for Rohach and i don't think he would have if he weren't injured. I don't see how one could think Lanning will be better than Sam next year.

I think Trevor Hodge is underrated. I think he will be a great player. IMO will be right there competing with Lanning and Rohach.

Cpech56

Aug 12, 2012
I will anxiously be awaiting who you think are our "really good offensive players"

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Farniok, Wimberly, Bundrage. Considering most guys have 2+ years yet, who knows. We have to develop because we don't reload.

Cyclone07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 3, 2013
Ames, IA
Lanning has the size to run the ball and take hits unlike the Sam the toothpick
Richardson.
This. Richardson is a great QB but for how much we like to attempt to run the zone read Lanning is a lot bigger and durable. He may not start next year but I wouldn't be surprised to see him in there running some Collin Klein/ Blake Bell style running sets. The dude is a load, and deceivingly fast.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Its a combination if coaching and not getting crap for recruits at the quarterback position. Lets be honest here, none of three would start at aby other big 12 schools including Kansas. I realize we are not making any monster lands anytime soon but theres guys like Jake Wauters at Kstate all over the country. We just somehow manage to continually get guys that amount to nothing. Personally with Lazard coming in I am hopeful we'll get some no name recruit that comes in a straight gunslinger.

At some point you have to recognize that it is more likely the system and the offense rather than the QB recruits we have gotten. If the system that we are running requires the absolute best QB in the country to run it then maybe it is time to change to a different system.

That being said, the play of Rohach at QB has been terrible. SR has played better and the offense has been better under SR. Don't know why SR is not playing more. And if SR is injured he should not be running, he should be kept out of the game. And if SR is deemed to not be better then SR should not be entering the game when we finally do get in the Red Zone. If Rohach is deserving of getting the PT then Rohach should be left in the game when we finally do get in the Red Zone.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
Exactly, not a whole lot of staffs in the country that has taken a pile of quarterbacks and done a whole lot of nothing with them.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Looking back, we will need two qbs to finish a season.

Well Wesley, if we keep running these quarterbacks, we might need 3 or 4 serviceable qb's just to finish the season.

I would like to know what we are going to do for an offensive line that can actually block somebody, presumably on defense!!!

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I don't think qb is the problem, and I'm not sure it ever has been.

I agree with you aeroclone....its the "Offensive Line" who cannot block anybody that's the real problem, & until that gets solved, hiring a new OC or putting in a new quarterback is simply not going to work.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I agree with you aeroclone....its the "Offensive Line" who cannot block anybody that's the real problem, & until that gets solved, hiring a new OC or putting in a new quarterback is simply not going to work.

So Klenakis is not doing his job?

IMO, it all comes back to the offense and what we are running. Defenses pack the box and blitz because they know we are going to either run, throw the bubble screen, or throw maybe a 10 yard pass. We have not thrown deep in ages. If protection is the problem then adjust and run a scheme where we can get protection. Rohach is averaging a pathetic 4 yards per pass attempt. That is terrible.

Until we show we are a legitimate downfield threat then teams will pack the box and blitz. We don't make them pay.