Kyle Green Hired

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Great evaluator of talent, great recruiter, strong background with player development and skilled Xs and Os guy. Really he is the complete package and would have been UNI's next head coach if Jacobson left
Sounds like a great hire. He should fit the assistant coach position (like Coach Lutz) then, yes? Or are they also going to look for an assistnat coach (older head coach)?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I remember thinking Nick Nurse was an absurd hire when McD made it back in the day. Now he's an NBA champ coach. I won't pretend to know anything about assistants other than once the hire is made that's who the head guy wanted.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
You couldn't possibly be more wrong. You should be ecstatic. Great teacher of big men and fantastic recruiter in state. There's tons of high major in state talent the next 5-6 years.

I've said this before but instate talent is ISU's white whale. We should absolutely be going for it, but we cannot pin our hopes on it. I sincerely hope to get Lipsey, but other than that who should ISU be pursuing in the next 5-6 years? I don't see anybody that jumps out at me other than Omaha and let's be real that probably isn't happening.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: CyDude16

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The most Iowa State thing I can think of. Okie State hires Cade Cunninghams brother, USC hires the dad of two super starts to get the players. We hire a players dad and the player stays at the old school. Unreal
FWIW, those programs have had A LOT of eyeballs on them the last few years.
I was surprised Okie State was allowed to play in the tourney.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
AJ to stay in Cedar Falls, as expected. I'm a little surprised Emerson isn't going to Ames, she'd be a great piece for Fennelly.

Fennelly's other son is an assistant on UNI wbb team. Even if we did have a spot for her I couldn't see him trying to take a player from a team where his son is on the staff.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Not sure how you came to that conclusion. Green will be our best assistant coach since TJ though so yeah it's a big deal

Like I said, he may end up being a great coach.

Hiring an assistant coach away from UNI doesn’t have the “OMG it’s so amazing TJ pulled this off” feel to it like you are trying to pump.

It’s a fine hire and I hope it works out well!

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
This may be a good hire, but your post makes it seem as if TJ woke John Wooden from the dead and brought him back to be our assistant coach.

Agree but after a two-win season I’ll take all the sunshine and kool-aid I can get. Does anyone know if TJ is also looking to hire Wooden’s grandson?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Commute from CF to Ames every day? NOOOOOO thanks

That makes it sound like a short term thing for him.

Very good hire though and I was hoping that TJ would get some fresh voices in here so that is very good.