Kobe Bryant is dead

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Wow, this sucks. He was my favorite NBA player growing up. His passion for the game and determination to win was maybe second to none.

Can't say he was my favorite player (although incredible and easily one of the best) but one of the icons of the game that I witnessed the entire career, and it wasn't very long ago.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

SwirlyBird

Aug 2, 2015
Let's not pretend any of us know what Kolbe was like. He was great at basketball, that we know. Made errors in life like all of us, likely worse in Colorado, and did a lot of good outside of basketball. He had a family and many undoubtedly who loved him (not the way fans 'love' him). It is a tragedy he died especially if the reports of his daughters are true, but no more or less than if a dry clean owner and his family died. Nothing but condolences to all involved including the pilot.
Ok?

• Informative
Reactions: Cy$

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Wow. I was never a fan of the man or the player, but that's tragic all the same. I had heard stories about him regularly using a helicopter to get back and forth between his home and the arena back in his playing days. Terrible to hear that his daughter was killed in the crash as well.

Reactions: Angie

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Wow, this still doesn't feel real. Kobe was one of those larger than life athletes who's legacy lived well beyond his play on the court. This is not just a big loss the NBA but for the whole sports world. He was a very influential figure for expanding the game internationally into China through Nike, IIRC.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Let's not pretend any of us know what Kolbe was like. He was great at basketball, that we know. Made errors in life like all of us, likely worse in Colorado, and did a lot of good outside of basketball. He had a family and many undoubtedly who loved him (not the way fans 'love' him). It is a tragedy he died especially if the reports of his daughters are true, but no more or less than if a dry clean owner and his family died. Nothing but condolences to all involved including the pilot.

Lol what?

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
This is crazy. Just last night LeBron passed him on the all time scoring list which put him fresh in my mind. I always enjoyed watching him play because his game was the most similar to MJ's who is my favorite player ever.

• Agree
Reactions: mynameisjonas

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Totally insane. Some of my earliest NBA memories are watching those Kobe and Shaq teams.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

That's just so sad. You can make all the money in the world, but nothing beats friendships like that. We all have them in our lives no matter who we are, and when they're gone it just leaves such a huge hole your life.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
That's just so sad. You can make all the money in the world, but nothing beats friendships like that. We all have them in our lives no matter who we are, and when they're gone it just leaves such a huge hole your life.
In that group there's very few people who can relate to you, yah know