Jethro's BBQ Coming to Ames

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Ames is in desperate need of new breakfast places (I'm personally not a big Perkins or VI fan), so this is very welcome. If only IHOP would come to town...

I loved the IHOP on Welch when I was a student.

That Jethro's breakfast looks like a lot of really heavy food. I think I would need a nap after that.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Amazing that I live about a mile from the Ankeny jethros and I've actually didn't realize they did a brunch. Looking at the menu makes it seem pretty good, but man, why does everything have to have cheese in it?

Never had breakfast there but this statement makes me want it. I'm not a big breakfast guy, but smother anything in cheese and I am in.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Another underrated aspect of this is that Jethro's serves their dinner menu whenever open. IE, you can come in there at 7:00AM and eat wings and drink beer on game day.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
This can't be serious. Have you actually had a decent amount of BBQ from either of those places? If you had I don't think that you could actually make that statement. Des Moines is definitely coming up, but let's not get the cart ahead of the horse.

I absolutely love KC BBQ, been to several places there over the years and yes I would put Smokey D's right up there with the quality of most places in KC. I haven't been to Kue'd in Waukee yet but I know that Shad was one of the ones that started Smokey D's originally and have been hearing people say that his place may be the best BBQ in town now, I need to make a trip there some day and try it for myself.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
We moved to Ankeny so I haven't had Kue'd since right after it open, but I remember it being really really good, I'd say better than Smokey D's. Too bad they have absolutely terrible sauces, which I'm ok with as I don't like sauce much. However they also didn't have to do the volume being done at smokey d's.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
A few comments.

* The owners of Smokey D's started out by doing competitions....before they ever opened up a brick and mortar place. It is what they do. The owner of Jethro's started out by rehabbing a downtown building and eventually opening up Splash (seafood). He is a restaurateur, not a BBQ circuit competitor.

* I LOVE Smokey D's (may fav in DSM) , but because they kick ass in almost every competition they enter, that does that guarantee that all translates back to the staff making $9/hour in the kitchen serving hundreds of meals a day. Does it? My point: the competitions are an indicator of quality & potential, but does not a guarantee it all translate back 100% to the restaurant experience.

*Finally, this Ames Jethro's is going to be huge (size-wise). It only fails to not "make a dent" in BWW and/or HP if it fails and/or the volume of business in Ames doesn't increase enough to absorb this increased capacity.

I understand your comments and know the stories behind both places. My point is if you are going to a place just for their BBQ Jethro's is not a place that would be very high on my list because it barely qualifies at BBQ in my opinion. It's like saying you're going to Applebee's for their steak instead of some place like the Big Steer in Altoona or the Iowa Beef Steakhouse to name a few. Big difference in quality between places like that just like I feel Jethro's barely qualifies as BBQ because what they serve meets the definition but the quality behind it is not comparable to a place that specializes in it.

The new location will absorb the need to provide more seats and options that is needed in Ames but I will bet you on a game day or a typical busy weekend night BWW and HP are still going to have waiting lines and aren't going to be hurting for business just because Jethro's opened up nearby. Jethro's isn't a copy of what either of those 2 places provides like say if you were to compare Chili's and Applebee's who offer very similar menu options, quality, and atmosphere. It will offer their own unique niche in the market but it's not like they are providing a near copy of what those 2 places offer, people are still going to go to BWW and HP for their food because they can't get the same thing at Jethros.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'd put Kue'd up against Joe's in KC.

If you gave them to people blindly and didn't tell them where the restaurant was located, I don't think there'd be a clear winner.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Another underrated aspect of this is that Jethro's serves their dinner menu whenever open. IE, you can come in there at 7:00AM and eat wings and drink beer on game day.

I like the sound of that. Any place with good wings and a good beer selection is going to get some of my money.

Do they have breakfast all day too?

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Amazing that I live about a mile from the Ankeny jethros and I've actually didn't realize they did a brunch. Looking at the menu makes it seem pretty good, but man, why does everything have to have cheese in it?

I'm sure you can order it without cheese.

1ef9b4e78a8238e388d9719c1395faa3.gif

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

Help Support Us

Become a patron