Jalynn Bristow Transferring

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
Agreed. If Steyer and Schaben wanted head coaching jobs, they wouldn't still be here. Steyer is around 57 and Schaben is around 51. They are probably both hoping Billy gets the job when Bill retires, in which case I'm sure they'd both stay on and coach here until they decide to retire.

If they are on IPERS, normal retirement age for people who have been employed by the state over 20 years is 62, or when years of service plus age is 88. Due to the rule of 88, Steyer hits normal retirement age for IPERS in around 4 years (she started in 2002) and Schaben will hit normal retirement age in about 5 years (she started back in 1997), assuming both continue to be employed at ISU for that length of time.
Who exactly retires exactly when they are supposed to according to rule of 88? I haven't known one professional at ISU that just said "oh, I've got the rule of 88, that was my goal. Done!"

No offense, but that seems to be an Iowa school teacher thing primarily. I know a decent number of them that had that goal (or at least took it when it arrived.) Most of them really deserved it after that amount of time in the schools though.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If everyone ahead of her was playing well and their just weren't any minutes available (see omaha on men's team) than I would understand it but I just cannot understand diew playing more than kelci and JB. They both deserved diews minutes imo.
The difference in minutes between Kelcey and Diew's minutes (59 total minutes over 33 games) could probably be attributed to Diew's ability to play the small ball 5 when Bill needed to.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I hope I'm wrong, but I'm afraid that Billy might get the job and keep most of the staff. But if we get someone else, I'm sure Bill would give the players a lot of notice.
I am kind of doubtful that that happens. I realize that Billy is the women's program's best recruiter. Jamie was best friends with TJ (the best recruiter the men's program has ever seen) and he flat out told him that he needed to go out and get HC experience before he would consider him for the top job at Iowa State.

Reactions: acoustimac

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I don't have a current list of preferred coaches - not my thing. There are a number of innovative lower-level coaches out there who would jump at an Iowa State opportunity, some with ISU connections.

To be biased towards something means you favor it over something else. To be biased against something means you do not favor it over something else. So to be biased towards dogs means that you favor dogs over something else, such as cats. Sometimes, people just say "I am biased" to mean they favor something.

I don't hate Bill, I appreciate the improvement he's facilitated in the program (over 29 years) and you can search until the cows come home, you'll never find a statement from me suggesting he should be relieved of his duties.

I am on a first name basis with a prominent family of Cyclone WBB players (current & former), so I have more insight, for the time being at least, than the average fan. I am careful not to betray their confidence, especially when it comes to happenings involving CBF. I've actually spent a significant amount of two-on-one time with the man - he sat with my wife and me at multiple games over several years when he was recruiting at City High - we were friendly faces wearing ISU sweatshirts and he sought us out after the first event. I don't hate Bill but he's not the nicest guy I've ever met.

To slightly edit a comment made by NWIACY earlier, "I'm a fan of the team, not the coach - no individual is ever more important than the team."

In other news, "Generalismo Francisco Franco is still dead", and I'm still disappointed Jalynn Bristow has decided to leave Ames.
Well that couldn't be much more obvious...

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Regarding your underlined point above which I agree with, that "uncertainty" should not facilitate a "coach in waiting" decision path.

Both UU and CU had teams comparable to BU and OU this past season although not quite as good as UT (despite OU winning the regular season title). Zona recently played in the 2021 national title game. I have no idea what those teams return for next season but while the loss of UT will weaken the conference some, the 4 new PAC WBB programs are certainly stronger than last season's new entrants (BYU, UH, UC, UCF). That said, the opportunity for ISU to win an outright conference title next season has perhaps never been higher even though ISU was the preseason 22-23 favorite.
Why do you keep harping on this? NOBODY in this thread is suggesting this. You are arguing this point with a ghost.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Reaching on a mediocre mid major coach who was fortunate enough to fall into ready made success at the job in the near term. The warning signs were there that Prohm was just lucky. He left Murray State in time. Stayed too long in Iowa State. Prohm showing his poor coaching once again in his second stay at Murray State.

Sometimes being so adamantly opposed to someone else makes a person make an irrational decision to advance someone else. If Billy wants to apply so be it. And he presents his case for employment. But many just categorically rejected TJ because he had no experience as HC. And yet he was the better coach and would have been a better choice than Prohm IMO. Trust Pollard. Not the people who think they know better.
Didn't even TJ say in a recent interview that Jamie asked him to get HC experience first when he wanted the head job the first time around. I think he also said that Jamie was right and he made a lot of mistakes at other places that he learned from and made him ready when Jamie finally gave him the job.

The honeymoon period is a real thing and if he had made those mistakes here he might have never got the program off the ground to where it is now.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I'm sure Audi asked what she could do before they had a chance to tell her.
How many over protective parents does she have on this board? Look i love the potential, but at the moment there are aspects of her game that make her a liability. She needs an athletic 4 sidekick like Bristow could of developed into. The only issue i have is how the vast majority on here tippy toe around it. If you think you need to defend her to me don't bother. Like I said I love the potential.

• Dumb
Reactions: VeloClone

joyisuful

Feb 3, 2023
I think Iowa State has some other thing similar to IPERs but elected themselves to do this instead of IPERs. They are a public university but just do some thing of their own instead. Not sure how all that works but know someone who worked there that told me that.

Who exactly retires exactly when they are supposed to according to rule of 88? I haven't known one professional at ISU that just said "oh, I've got the rule of 88, that was my goal. Done!"

No offense, but that seems to be an Iowa school teacher thing primarily. I know a decent number of them that had that goal (or at least took it when it arrived.) Most of them really deserved it after that amount of time in the schools though.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
I think Iowa State has some other thing similar to IPERs but elected themselves to do this instead of IPERs. They are a public university but just do some thing of their own instead. Not sure how all that works but know someone who worked there that told me that.
Yeah, it's a 403B, we had an option of IPERS when I started, but I chose the 403B. 5% mandatory, they put in 10%, just like 401K except for public and non profits. I know IPERS was avaiable up until at least 8 years ago, because a co-wirker chose it. However, almost everyone I work with has gone the 403B route.

ISU salaries are low, but the benefits are very good compared to industry.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I think that ICCYFAN has the same line of thinking as myself and some others do if I am interpreting his posts correctly. Bill has earned the right to retire on his terms but IMO he hasn't earned the right to designate his replacement and that is due in large part the lack of conference titles and a desire to make more extended NCAA tourney runs beyond the first weekend.

I felt there was more bias against CBF by ICCYFAN than just about who determines Bill's replacement. It seemed more like a rehash of last spring, when players transferred out of the WBB program, CBF is the problem from a "personality" standpoint. Bristow transfers out so the sky is falling! AGAIN! Ignoring the fact that the WBB team:
  1. Finished 12-6 in Big12 Regular Season
  2. Was 2nd in the Big12 Confernece Tournament
  3. Won an NCAA Tournament game before losing in OT to #2 Seed Stanford
If a Cyclone fan isn't excited about those results from this group of women, I don't know what to say to those people.

The reality is a head coach has to reward minutes based on putting 5 players on the court who give the Cyclones the best chance to win. Not based on recruit rankings or athletic potential. And sports can be very system specific- so a player can languish in one system and thrive under another coach.

I would be surprised if other than a handful of Cyclone fans think Bill Fennelly should designate his successor. And it has nothing to do with his successes or failures as coach over 30 years. That is the AD's job and I doubt Jamie Pollard would abdicate his responsibility. The thought that Jamie would just be a "reed in the wind" is laughable. If Billy Fennelly is the next Cyclone Head WBB coach, then it is based on Jamie observing Billy as an assistant coach.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
How many over protective parents does she have on this board? Look i love the potential, but at the moment there are aspects of her game that make her a liability. She needs an athletic 4 sidekick like Bristow could of developed into. The only issue i have is how the vast majority on here tippy toe around it. If you think you need to defend her to me don't bother. Like I said I love the potential.

I guess I never saw Bristow as ISU's future 4. Seemed more of a wing to pair with Brown, Tanke, Joens, etc.

In seeing Alisa Williams on the sideline, she looked more the part of a compliment to Crooks. But I agree that CBF needs to get a physical rebounder/defender from the portal to play alongside Audi.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Didn't even TJ say in a recent interview that Jamie asked him to get HC experience first when he wanted the head job the first time around. I think he also said that Jamie was right and he made a lot of mistakes at other places that he learned from and made him ready when Jamie finally gave him the job.

The honeymoon period is a real thing and if he had made those mistakes here he might have never got the program off the ground to where it is now.

Was the “get HC experience” requirement after the ISU President intervened and insisted that TJ not be given the HC job?

Because if HC experience was always required by Pollard the ISU President would not have needed to intervene. TJ was never going to get the job.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I felt there was more bias against CBF by ICCYFAN than just about who determines Bill's replacement. It seemed more like a rehash of last spring, when players transferred out of the WBB program, CBF is the problem from a "personality" standpoint. Bristow transfers out so the sky is falling! AGAIN! Ignoring the fact that the WBB team:
  1. Finished 12-6 in Big12 Regular Season
  2. Was 2nd in the Big12 Confernece Tournament
  3. Won an NCAA Tournament game before losing in OT to #2 Seed Stanford
If a Cyclone fan isn't excited about those results from this group of women, I don't know what to say to those people.

The reality is a head coach has to reward minutes based on putting 5 players on the court who give the Cyclones the best chance to win. Not based on recruit rankings or athletic potential. And sports can be very system specific- so a player can languish in one system and thrive under another coach.

I would be surprised if other than a handful of Cyclone fans think Bill Fennelly should designate his successor. And it has nothing to do with his successes or failures as coach over 30 years. That is the AD's job and I doubt Jamie Pollard would abdicate his responsibility. The thought that Jamie would just be a "reed in the wind" is laughable. If Billy Fennelly is the next Cyclone Head WBB coach, then it is based on Jamie observing Billy as an assistant coach.
There are more than a handful of WBB fans who think Bill could (emphasis on could) push hard for Billy to replace him and putting JP in a tough spot relative to their relationship. As previously mentioned, if the goal is to elevate the program from results so far under Bill, one would think JP likely doesn't hire Billy as the replacement if a comprehensive search is conducted.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Was the “get HC experience” requirement after the ISU President intervened and insisted that TJ not be given the HC job?

Because if HC experience was always required by Pollard the ISU President would not have needed to intervene. TJ was never going to get the job.
I have seen this repeated ad nauseum but have never seen it come from someone who actually knows it took place. Do you have a link for that?