Jalynn Bristow Transferring

DGC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 16, 2018
So what happened? Below is a quote from Jalynn after the loss to Stanford. How does one mesh that positive statement with a sudden turnabout move into the portal? Enigmatic.

Coaches have “coach talk” and players have “player talk”. She was just saying what she was supposed to say.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Coaches have “coach talk” and players have “player talk”. She was just saying what she was supposed to say.

She's a good poker player. Just telling media folks what they wanted to hear.

It's not like she's going to use that forum to say she plans on transferring. In the end, its a personal decision and some people hold their true feeling close to the vest.

Maybe that is part of it in the heat of the moment and her being questioned on the spot. Bristow didn't want to be negative and maybe was earnestly swept up after an exciting near win at legendary Standford and their great coach.

But she could have couched her answer and been more thoughtful about it but maybe her resources in dealing with it were not well-developed. I don't think she was bluffing (lying) but was just confused about what she wanted. The wildcard is her interaction with the coaching staff and players in the hours after the NCAA Tourney game. Bill made an ambivalent statement on whether any transfers were coming. Maybe in his experience, he had a "feeling."

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Maybe that is part of it in the heat of the moment and her being questioned on the spot. Bristow didn't want to be negative and maybe was earnestly swept up after an exciting near win at legendary Standford and their great coach.

But she could have couched her answer and been more thoughtful about it but maybe her resources in dealing with it were not well-developed. I don't think she was bluffing (lying) but was just confused about what she wanted. The wildcard is her interaction with the coaching staff and players in the hours after the NCAA Tourney game. Bill made an ambivalent statement on whether any transfers were coming. Maybe in his experience, he had a "feeling."
I look at it like changing jobs. People usually do a pretty good job of hiding their intentions, sometimes with their closest friends.

Nothing really to be gained by being open.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin

I look at it like changing jobs. People usually do a pretty good job of hiding their intentions, sometimes with their closest friends.

There are differing ways to look at it. Left in the dark we move on.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
So what happened? Below is a quote from Jalynn after the loss to Stanford. How does one mesh that positive statement with a sudden turnabout move into the portal? Enigmatic.

She could have both feelings inside of her. Perhaps one came out in the comment after the Stanford game and the other came out when she entered the portal. One can talk about how they love their job on day and take a different job the next day.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
She's an 18 year old kid. 18 year olds aren't professionals in their ability to hide what they are feeling. I think she was giving a very honest response after the game. As some have said, feeling the high of the moment. What happened later with the decision to transfer is hard to understand as an outsider, but she may not understand her feelings completely either. We don’t know who is advising her Or what they are saying. But in summary…she's still a teenager who's decision making capabilities (just like EVERYONE her age) have a few years to go before they mature.

farcyted

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I will be shocked if Bristow turns into a star player anywhere. Some of her basketball skills (not shooting) need a lot of work (dribbling, passing, rebounding). Her biggest problem is her build and her strength. Just too fragile for the way the game is played today.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Or that was exactly how she felt at that moment. Maybe the end of season sit-down with the coaches was harsh and she changed her mind. To use your job example: going into an annual review feeling you did well and expecting a promotion/raise and than finding the bosses think you're a C level employee. We don't know (and will never know) when and why she elected to transfer.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Or that was exactly how she felt at that moment. Maybe the end of season sit-down with the coaches was harsh and she changed her mind. To use your job example: going into an annual review feeling you did well and expecting a promotion/raise and than finding the bosses think you're a C level employee. We don't know (and will never know) when and why she elected to transfer.
I was going to stay away from this thread, but people speculating on 18 year-old psychology is ludicrous.

It shouldn't surprise anybody to learn a member of the coaching staff called each FAMILY the night before the scheduled end-of-season sit-down, to discuss general issues and whether or not their daughter would return next season. A reliable source is of the understanding Jalynn's mother indicated Jalynn's intention to return to ISU next season. The end-of-season sit down meeting with coaches took place the next morning and Jalynn entered the transfer portal that afternoon. Draw your own conclusions.

I'm taking NWIACY's advice and assuming any player can move at any time for any reason. I wish Jalynn the best, regardless of where she ends up. Go State.

Last edited:

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I was going to stay away from this thread, but people speculating on 18 year-old psychology is ludicrous.

It shouldn't surprise anybody to learn a member of the coaching staff called each FAMILY the night before the scheduled end-of-season sit-down, to discuss general issues and whether or not their daughter would return next season. A reliable source is of the understanding Jalynn's mother indicated Jalynn's intention to return to ISU next season. The end-of-season sit down meeting with coaches took place the next morning and Jalynn entered the transfer portal that afternoon. Draw your own conclusions.

I'm taking NWIACY's advice and assuming any player can move at any time for any reason. I wish Jalynn the best, regardless of where she ends up. Go State.
I find it VERY hard to imagine the coaches told her she wasn’t needed or wanted. Likely pointed out what had to happen in the off season.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I find it VERY hard to imagine the coaches told her she wasn’t needed or wanted. Likely pointed out what had to happen in the off season.
I agree they didn't tell her she wasn't wanted. But even Bill's strongest supporters will say he's not the most tactful at times. My guess is coming off of Stanford she was excited for the future here. However, the feedback she got from within dampened that a bit. As you said prior we're talking about 18y/o kids. It's really unfortunate because she's ideal to grow into perfect 4 along side Crooks.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
BF should be in the portal looking for more strength at her position, whether she stays or not. I could see her not being guaranteed a starting position and not liking it.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
BF should be in the portal looking for more strength at her position, whether she stays or not. I could see her not being guaranteed a starting position and not liking it.
We have strength at the 3 and 5. We need length, quickness and agility at the 4.

Reactions: bozclone

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I agree they didn't tell her she wasn't wanted. But even Bill's strongest supporters will say he's not the most tactful at times. My guess is coming off of Stanford she was excited for the future here. However, the feedback she got from within dampened that a bit. As you said prior we're talking about 18y/o kids. It's really unfortunate because she's ideal to grow into perfect 4 along side Crooks.

We have no idea if Jalynn was planning to transfer the whole time and just told the reporter what they wanted to hear rather than make a spectacle by announcing she was entering the portal.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
If you are going to give absolutes documentation is required. You new here?

You didn’t give documentation for your speculation. Jalynn made up her mind to leave and did not want to make a statement after the Stanford loss so she simply accommodated the reporter. That was actually a pretty wise thing to do.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
You didn’t give documentation for your speculation. Jalynn made up her mind to leave and did not want to make a statement after the Stanford loss so she simply accommodated the reporter. That was actually a pretty wise thing to do.
Mine wasn't given as an absolute. Point is I don't know and you don’t know.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron