Jalynn Bristow Transferring

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I think that ICCYFAN has the same line of thinking as myself and some others do if I am interpreting his posts correctly. Bill has earned the right to retire on his terms but IMO he hasn't earned the right to designate his replacement and that is due in large part the lack of conference titles and a desire to make more extended NCAA tourney runs beyond the first weekend.

People thinking like you led us to hire Steve Prohm. Just leave the hiring to Jamie Pollard. No one is suggesting that Bill choose his successor. And you shouldn’t have the right to exclude anyone either.

Reactions: acoustimac

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
I agree with you.I think Brenda has been at Maryland too long to look at moving back. Jenny has things going well at OU. I'd be a little surprised if either one of them would take the ISU job.

I don't even know what a appropriate starting salary would be for a new WBB coach in Ames. We know the program doesn't make money, so how far in the hole do you go?

I do believe that both of the coaches you mention make considerably more than CBF - he has not demanded large increases (for example Bluder makes about 600K more than him). If JP wants to stay in the same budget whenever CBF does decide to retire he will be looking at assistants or mid-major candidates.

DGC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 16, 2018
I do believe that both of the coaches you mention make considerably more than CBF - he has not demanded large increases (for example Bluder makes about 600K more than him). If JP wants to stay in the same budget whenever CBF does decide to retire he will be looking at assistants or mid-major candidates.
Is there any scenario where Jodi Steyer is not the first call that JP makes when BF retires? Unless of course Jodi retires as well.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I do think that would be a good choice but do not see that happening - she has turned down multiple head coaching opportunities. JMO but do not see her here past the CBF era.
Agreed. If Steyer and Schaben wanted head coaching jobs, they wouldn't still be here. Steyer is around 57 and Schaben is around 51. They are probably both hoping Billy gets the job when Bill retires, in which case I'm sure they'd both stay on and coach here until they decide to retire.

If they are on IPERS, normal retirement age for people who have been employed by the state over 20 years is 62, or when years of service plus age is 88. Due to the rule of 88, Steyer hits normal retirement age for IPERS in around 4 years (she started in 2002) and Schaben will hit normal retirement age in about 5 years (she started back in 1997), assuming both continue to be employed at ISU for that length of time.

Last edited:

CyorDy

Mar 15, 2024
Agreed. If Steyer and Schaben wanted head coaching jobs, they wouldn't still be here. Steyer is around 57 and Schaben is around 51. They are probably both hoping Billy gets the job when Bill retires, in which case I'm sure they'd both stay on and coach here until they decide to retire.

If they are on IPERS, normal retirement age for people who have been employed by the state over 20 years is 62, or when years of service plus age is 88. Due to the rule of 88, Steyer hits normal retirement age for IPERS in around 4 years (she started in 2002) and Schaben will hit normal retirement age in about 5 years (she started back in 1997), assuming both continue to be employed at ISU for that length of time.
And...

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
People thinking like you led us to hire Steve Prohm. Just leave the hiring to Jamie Pollard. No one is suggesting that Bill choose his successor. And you shouldn’t have the right to exclude anyone either.
If JP's goal is to elevate the program beyond what Bill has done so far (contend more so for conference titles, more S16 runs and beyond), one would think he would hire outside of the existing staff even if Bill pushes Billy to be his successor. Have no idea why you'd think that would lead to another Prohm-like hire.

• Dumb
Reactions: ribsnwhiskey

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
If JP's goal is to elevate the program beyond what Bill has done so far (contend more so for conference titles, more S16 runs and beyond), one would think he would hire outside of the existing staff even if Bill pushes Billy to be his successor. Have no idea why you'd think that would lead to another Prohm-like hire.
All depends on what kind of money they will offer. Offer below Big 12 average and you get someone off the current staff or someone from a mid major, then if could end up a Prohm like hire. Might not also....

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
All depends on what kind of money they will offer. Offer below Big 12 average and you get someone off the current staff or someone from a mid major, then if could end up a Prohm like hire. Might not also....
Continuing to carry on about BFs replacement in a player transfer thread is just lazy.

cyclone82

Sep 22, 2022
Didn’t see any threads about who we might be targeting in portal and or if we had contact with anyone ?
Any intel on this ??

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Reaching on a mediocre mid major coach who was fortunate enough to fall into ready made success at the job in the near term. The warning signs were there that Prohm was just lucky. He left Murray State in time. Stayed too long in Iowa State. Prohm showing his poor coaching once again in his second stay at Murray State.

Sometimes being so adamantly opposed to someone else makes a person make an irrational decision to advance someone else. If Billy wants to apply so be it. And he presents his case for employment. But many just categorically rejected TJ because he had no experience as HC. And yet he was the better coach and would have been a better choice than Prohm IMO. Trust Pollard. Not the people who think they know better.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
You are far from the truth. I want BF to be successful.. But if you watch any other wbb, you'd see how antiquidated what we run is. We are behind. I just want BF and staff to rethink how to get the best out of the talent we have. We no longer need a ball dominate Pg offensive scheme. We no longer need to play a drop zone 90% of the time. We finally have the talent to play differently. I will always continue to support the team and BF. Been a season ticket holder for over a decade now and rarely ever miss a game - and don't plan to stop
Did you miss when ISU was playing more and more man the last few years? Surprising that he went back to a zone defense when he had a freshman dominated team with limitations on defense...er...I guess it wasn't.

Reactions: acoustimac

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm extremely disappointed but not surprised. Former Texas 3A Player of the Year and Top 50 Recruit on nearly every scouting service in the Class of 2023, but the "experts" on this board are good with Jalynn Bristow's departure.

The point of fielding a team is to win conference titles, preferably of the regular season variety, then make a deep run into the NCAA Tournament. We win lots of games (600+ in 29 seasons) but the big prizes regularly elude us (1 shared regular season title > 20 years ago, 0 Final Fours, ever). Meanwhile, Lisa Bluder makes a NCAA Championship Game and follows that up with a NCAA #1 Seed, while Jennie B leaves Drake and wins two Big XII Regular season titles (one outright) in three years at OU. I'm weary of the disappointment and I'm out on an extended leave of absence. I won't let the door hit me in the @ss.
I see a lot of people sad to see her go rather than "good with Jalynn Bristow's departure."

Reactions: NWICY

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Reaching on a mediocre mid major coach who was fortunate enough to fall into ready made success at the job in the near term. The warning signs were there that Prohm was just lucky. He left Murray State in time. Stayed too long in Iowa State. Prohm showing his poor coaching once again in his second stay at Murray State.

Sometimes being so adamantly opposed to someone else makes a person make an irrational decision to advance someone else. If Billy wants to apply so be it. And he presents his case for employment. But many just categorically rejected TJ because he had no experience as HC. And yet he was the better coach and would have been a better choice than Prohm IMO. Trust Pollard. Not the people who think they know better.
Need to keep in mind that due to the timing of Fred's departure, the pool of available candidates was significantly shrunk for ISU. The pool of candidates that included Prohm, B.Drew, Underwood, etc. was not the quality it could have been if Fred departed a couple of months earlier.

Regarding Otz's candidacy at that time, JP and Otz will be the first to admit that Otz was better served in the long term to not have got the ISU HC job at that time.

Let's hope the timing of Bill's retirement will enable a full comprehensive search in the MAR/APR timeframe and not in the summer like when Fred departed.

• Dumb
Reactions: ribsnwhiskey