Jacob Park Update/Controversy

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Thorongil Clone

Gone to Numenor
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2021
Was he actually misbehaved? The only bad thing he ever did was smoked pot, wasn’t it? I mean, the dude had some mental health problems he needed to step away and take care of, but I’m not going to call that “misbehaved.”
He let his teammates down. He did not embrace treatment for mental health issues. That could be considered misbehavior--not criminal behavior, but misbehavior. His antics at the Texas game could also be considered misbehavior.

Lighten up Francis-- this isn't the hill to die on, sticking up for the rights of the mentally ill or some such. Use of the word is not inappropriate here.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Is there any actual evidence at all of this being true, other than people claiming it because he made dumb decisions in that game?

He got booted for a reason.

My point is mainly that I doubt Campbell would recruit him now.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
He let his teammates down. He did not embrace treatment for mental health issues. That could be considered misbehavior--not criminal behavior, but misbehavior. His antics at the Texas game could also be considered misbehavior.

Lighten up Francis-- this isn't the hill to die on, sticking up for the rights of the mentally ill or some such. Use of the word is not inappropriate here.
Who is dying on a hill here?

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Jesus, that's one of the harshest takes I've ever seen crashing down on someone's mental health. Impressive, brutal, and just plain nasty.

Thorongil Clone

Gone to Numenor
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2021
Jesus, that's one of the harshest takes I've ever seen crashing down on someone's mental health. Impressive, brutal, and just plain nasty.
It took a lot of effort, let me tell you. I don't believe Pants is Jacob Parks, so I don't believe I crashed down on his mental health. Just saying that casual use of the word misbehavior does not necessarily constitute an attack on someone experiencing mental health issues.

But go on. Feel free to brand me as a vicious and brutal savager of the mentally ill (I am far from that).

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Is there any actual evidence at all of this being true, other than people claiming it because he made dumb decisions in that game?
He was "higher than a giraffe's *****" in that game according to a player who recently graduated. And he was into way harder stuff than marijuana, also from said player.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Jacob = A+ arm talent, D- brain. It’s not all about the physical traits the mental side has got to be there.
Yeah I hate to rag on Jacob, because he isn't here to defend himself, but I remember watching him do interviews and just came away thinking how he doesn't sound like a guy I'd want leading my teams huddle, but the talent was there and we trusted the process. Thank God for Kyle Kempt.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
It took a lot of effort, let me tell you. I don't believe Pants is Jacob Parks, so I don't believe I crashed down on his mental health. Just saying that casual use of the word misbehavior does not necessarily constitute an attack on someone experiencing mental health issues.

But go on. Feel free to brand me as a vicious and brutal savager of the mentally ill (I am far from that).
I never equated the two. Maybe I’m just misremembering because that era feels like two decades ago, but the only things I remember about him having “issues” was weed and him having to leave because he was considering getting help. I’m not associating misbehaviors with mental health. I’m saying I don’t consider weed a misbehavior because who gives a **** if someone smokes pot, half of our athletes probably do. And I don’t consider mental health being a misbehavior. So I was asking, outside of those two things, what misbehaviors were there? Maybe there’s some I’m legitimately unaware of.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
My mental health would of suffered that game had I not been pantshitting drunk.

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
I never equated the two. Maybe I’m just misremembering because that era feels like two decades ago, but the only things I remember about him having “issues” was weed and him having to leave because he was considering getting help. I’m not associating misbehaviors with mental health. I’m saying I don’t consider weed a misbehavior because who gives a **** if someone smokes pot, half of our athletes probably do. And I don’t consider mental health being a misbehavior. So I was asking, outside of those two things, what misbehaviors were there? Maybe there’s some I’m legitimately unaware of.
Coke was a big issue with him, plus he had his fair share of melt downs. Don’t know if they were related to the coke or if he had some mental health issues as has been stated here, but know he had some problems with that. Failing drug tests was a major issue also. I don’t know the number of our players that smoke, but almost none fail drug tests and Park did multiple times.