Jacob Park Update/Controversy

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I agree...I was just confused by your response when it only included my statement in which I replied to a specific point. And to be honest, I have no idea what went on with Jacob Park while in Ames. I know the on field stuff...don't care about the other stuff as it feels like ancient history.
I feel that way about Park as well. It’s young Mr. Scates I’m standing up for. The young man has a chance to put it all together, and if he does it could help us to a special season.

I’m hoping he takes Xavier Hutchinson’s work ethic to heart.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I feel that way about Park as well. It’s young Mr. Scates I’m standing up for. The young man has a chance to put it all together, and if he does it could help us to a special season.

I’m hoping he takes Xavier Hutchinson’s work ethic to heart.

I agree with you there as well! Many student-athletes in Scates' situation would have bailed out and left the team. I commend Coach Campbell for disciplining the group and I commend the young men who made a mistake, owned it and stuck around to better themselves as people and football players. Love that Joe Scates is still in Ames!

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
I never equated the two. Maybe I’m just misremembering because that era feels like two decades ago, but the only things I remember about him having “issues” was weed and him having to leave because he was considering getting help. I’m not associating misbehaviors with mental health. I’m saying I don’t consider weed a misbehavior because who gives a **** if someone smokes pot, half of our athletes probably do. And I don’t consider mental health being a misbehavior. So I was asking, outside of those two things, what misbehaviors were there? Maybe there’s some I’m legitimately unaware of.
Weed was an issue if you are still flunking tests and you know when the tests are coming (spoiler alert: the starters probably do, across all programs I’ve heard)

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
"The IAFL is currently accepting Teams for the 2020 Spring Season. The 2020 Spring Season League fee is $1000. Champion will receive the Phantom Horse Trophy and $3500, Runner-up will receive the Runner-up Phantom Horse Trophy and $1500."

You can include a pro-football team ownership to your resume, for just $1,000?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Don't compare Scates to Park. Scates did something dumb as a true frosh and got past it.

If Park was getting baked before games and into coke and opiates to boot (this wouldn't surprise me at all), Campbell would catch on to that pretty ******* quick. Scates seems (pretty clearly) to not be mixed up in that, and just has some issues putting it all together on the field. Not from being a **** head, or lack of effort.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I hope you're talking "in theory" here. Or I sort of hope you aren't. Can't quite decide.
HomelyIndolentBirdofparadise-size_restricted.gif

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Don't compare Scates to Park. Scates did something dumb as a true frosh and got past it.

If Park was getting baked before games and into coke and opiates to boot (this wouldn't surprise me at all), Campbell would catch on to that pretty ******* quick. Scates seems (pretty clearly) to not be mixed up in that, and just has some issues putting it all together on the field. Not from being a **** head, or lack of effort.

Yeah, I think Scates mis-steps are pretty typical dumbass college kid level stuff. Realistically there's a ton of real estate between being a complete dumbass and being a Campbell-level disciplined and dedicated player. And I would say the fact that Scates plays a fair amount on a Campbell team means he's taking care of business in practice and in the classroom at least at a pretty good level.

Not to mention I hate that every time a guy that is highly recruited takes a while to (or never) quite lives up to that ranking on the field people always attribute it to a guy not being smart or dedicated. There's a lot that goes into being good at the highest level of CFB. A guy can have one elite physical trait and dominate HS and get a high ranking, but be limited in other ways that keep him from being great. Sometimes a guy gets over-ranked. Sometimes a guy is very talented but has a hole in his game that isn't easy to fix. Sometimes a guy just simply gets passed up by somebody else.

• Agree
Reactions: CYISFLY

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
It kind of makes you wonder what Campbell saw in him. He talks all the time about players fitting in the culture yet somehow Park was on the team and could have singlehandedly prevented ISU's rise in the CFB scene.

Talented guy at the most important position. I understand taking the risk. Especially if you believe in your culture and think you can get him to buy in.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Re-hashing the Park fiasco and his new hairdo was fun, but time to move on.
And if you want to talk about Scates, start a new thread on the positive impact he will have in this breakout year.

You have to think someone will break out. It’s not like there isn’t talent there. Between trying to stop Purdy, Hall, Kolar, Hutchison, Allen… someone’s gotta be getting open.

Reactions: Neptune78

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Was he actually misbehaved? The only bad thing he ever did was smoked pot, wasn’t it? I mean, the dude had some mental health problems he needed to step away and take care of, but I’m not going to call that “misbehaved.”

Rumor was he was as high as a kite at UT game where it all went wrong. No idea if that is true or not.

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
Rumor was he was as high as a kite at UT game where it all went wrong. No idea if that is true or not.
And yet, I still hold onto a belief in my head that we win that game if it wasn't for the somersault giving Texas a fresh set of downs early in the game.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
And yet, I still hold onto a belief in my head that we win that game if it wasn't for the somersault giving Texas a fresh set of downs early in the game.

I completely forgot about that, I had to check the replay. I don't know if it would've guaranteed a win, but definite huge swing early - getting turnover already in FG range, then UT ended up scoring on a long TD drive. Lame penalty call.

Sequence begins roughly 7:45:

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I don’t disagree. I think Jaquan more than made up for that in his career. If we win that game, I don’t think Oklahoma happens a week later though.