It occurred to me

Raymeus

Nov 8, 2006
It occurred to me, based on the presumed B10 geographic expansion criteria (i.e., new market with lots of people so they can make even more $$), that if any one of the B10 schools was hypothetically not a member and vying for a spot, the only ones that would even be considered would be Minny, Northwestern, PSU and tOSU? Indiana, Purdue, UM, MSU, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Iowa wouldn’t stand a chance.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
It occurred to me, based on the presumed B10 geographic expansion criteria (i.e., new market with lots of people so they can make even more $$), that if any one of the B10 schools was hypothetically not a member and vying for a spot, the only ones that would even be considered would be Minny, Northwestern, PSU and tOSU? Indiana, Purdue, UM, MSU, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Iowa wouldn’t stand a chance.

Yes they would because the Big Ten wouldn't conotrol that market. Right now, the Big Ten controls all those markets so there is no need for a school from that area. All the teams you mentioned contain Detroit, Indy, Chicago, Milwaukee.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I don't buy the argument at all. If the Big 10 had no presence in Iowa at all, I think they'd take a hard look at Iowa. While Iowa is the smallest state in the conference in terms of population, 3 million people isn't chimp change, and there are no pro teams to compete with, which is something every other Big 10 school must compete with. If Iowa wasn't already a member, the Big 10 would be looking hard at them.

Raymeus

Nov 8, 2006
Yes they would because the Big Ten wouldn't conotrol that market. Right now, the Big Ten controls all those markets so there is no need for a school from that area. All the teams you mentioned contain Detroit, Indy, Chicago, Milwaukee.

I disagree. If Purdue was in, what would adding Indiana do money-wise & vice versa? If Michigan was in, what would adding MSU do? No way MSU would get added in today's world. If both Iowa and Iowa State were in the Bix XII, there's no way the B10 looks at either.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I disagree. If Purdue was in, what would adding Indiana do money-wise & vice versa? If Michigan was in, what would adding MSU do? No way MSU would get added in today's world. If both Iowa and Iowa State were in the Bix XII, there's no way the B10 looks at either.

Detroit is a lot bigger than one fanbase and so is Indy. Besides that MSU is a powerhouse in basketball and decent in football as well as a pretty decent academic institution. Purdue is a fantastic institution with reasonable athletics. The Big 10 would definately look at Iowa since they have a solid football program and are a great academic institution. Indiana, I can see your point somewhat but I think they carry a large enough fanbase.