ISU MBB Twitter

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
For those that have been to other B12 arenas, like the Phog, OSU, others, what say you? Is Hilton the #1 venue?

Absolutely. been to 3 others that i would think would be closest competitors.

Phog Allen is pretty cool with the museum in the lobby and the history but it is old - wood bleachers old.

Gallagher IBA is just weird.

The Octagon of doom has no personality.

I will be traveling to DC quite a bit this next season and plan to get down to the couch incineration chamber for the WVU game, we'll see how it stacks up.

Reactions: t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

Phog Allen is pretty cool with the museum in the lobby and the history but it is old - wood bleachers old.

I will be traveling to DC quite a bit this next season and plan to get down to the couch incineration chamber for the WVU game, we'll see how it stacks up.
Thank you for your opinion. Yeah, Hilton has stacked up and held up pretty well over the years. Great venue, especially being designed likely in the late 60's, built in the early 70's.

What is the capacity of the Phog Allen? Do you think Kansas will ride that arena until it drops (history, etc.) or would they consider building a new arena soon?

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Thank you for your opinion. Yeah, Hilton has stacked up and held up pretty well over the years. Great venue, especially being designed likely in the late 60's, built in the early 70's.

What is the capacity of the Phog Allen? Do you think Kansas will ride that arena until it drops (history, etc.) or would they consider building a new arena soon?

Not certain capacity of the phog. I think 14K? Similar to Hilton.

The infrastructure around Phog is pretty good, I doubt they have any plans to replace it, not at least until TJ owns it.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL

Allen Fieldhouse capacity is 16,300.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Not certain capacity of the phog. I think 14K? Similar to Hilton.

The infrastructure around Phog is pretty good, I doubt they have any plans to replace it, not at least until TJ owns it.
Allen Fieldhouse capacity is 16,300.
The Phog Allen arena isn't as old as I thought, opened in 1955, but renovated multiple times, last in 2001, and expanded in 2009. Looks pretty cool.

I'll take Hilton though. I thought Butlers' Hinkle Fieldhouse looked pretty awesome (built in the '20's), capacity 9,100. Saw during the recent Tourney. Kind of a bigger, nicer Armory. A lot of character!

What's the life expectancy of an arena like Hilton, I wonder? Hope it keeps humming for a long time!

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
And before basketball entertainment dollars flipped to the OKC Thunder resulting in a big drop in attendance at OU and OSU.

Oklahoma's attendance has correlated pretty well to wins/losses even with the Thunder around.

2009: OU won 83%, averaged 11,490
2010-12: all under .500, attendance down to 8,524 (-26% from 2009)
2013: Kruger starts winning
2015: attendance back up to 11,120 (+30% from 2012)
2017: Kruger starts losing
2020: attendance down to 8,406 (-24% in 5 years)

• Informative
Reactions: t-noah

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Son of women’s asst? What are his credentials?

Yep his mom is Jodi. Smart kid graduated in 3 yrs I believe, played as a walk on. As bad as we were this yr I was hoping he would get more playing time. I believe he's headed to grad school next though not sure about that.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia

It (ie WV) doesn't compare. Like so many other arenas, it has a cold empty feeling. It's not the fans, but rather the architecture. Hilton was designed to bring the fans closer to the floor. Things like proximity, finished ceiling (instead of rafters or trusses), color, open inside concourse, etc make Hilton unique.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Oklahoma's attendance has correlated pretty well to wins/losses even with the Thunder around.

2009: OU won 83%, averaged 11,490
2010-12: all under .500, attendance down to 8,524 (-26% from 2009)
2013: Kruger starts winning
2015: attendance back up to 11,120 (+30% from 2012)
2017: Kruger starts losing
2020: attendance down to 8,406 (-24% in 5 years)

Is it tickets sold?

There's no way there were anywhere near 8000 people some of those years.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
It (ie WV) doesn't compare. Like so many other arenas, it has a cold empty feeling. It's not the fans, but rather the architecture. Hilton was designed to bring the fans closer to the floor. Things like proximity, finished ceiling (instead of rafters or trusses), color, open inside concourse, etc make Hilton unique.
When Hilton was in year 2 (Ken Trickey) there were complaints that the fans were too far from the floor as compared to the Armory and players were complaining the Hilton was sterile-Which it was until 1981 when Johnny came. That said, those guys playing in 1975 were just complaining because they were losing badly.

Hilton does need some updates badly and I admit that I am bummed that the concessions are not moving to an expanded outer circle of a new concourse but I understand that such moves are terribly expensive.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Wow, TJ must have used a transfer portal to show up at the Jazz vs Nuggets game since he was attending the Iowa Coaches vs Cancel gala in Des Moines late afternoon yesterday.

I'm so happy to see the former Cyclone greats getting together and supporting each other.

You can buy the hoodie TJ's wearing on Georges' official website.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron