Is Purdy Hurt?

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Brock Purdy went into that game from the staff forging himself to stay in the pocket and it was a mistake.. One of Purdy great intangibles is being free to move and decide without thinking..

Yesterday he thought way to much as effective as he was at times.

As for the 4th and short play and 3rd and short plays.. those are RPO’s ant it’s QB choice and Purdy chose wrong....but part of that is calling the RPO..

I’m hoping with an extra week that our offense will look far more dynamic in 2 weeks.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Seemed like a part of the game plan was to not put purdy at risk. We've lost our QB1 in the first few games the last couple years. Making purdy play more safe with his legs at the start of the year forces us to grow in other areas and not be dependent on his legs. Probably a good thing in the long run but we'll struggle a bit as people learn

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The thing people don't get about the RPO, is that the defense dictates what Brock does with the ball. If you don't want him to hurt you with his legs, you take away that option and give him the other options on the play. UNI was willing to give us some slack in the run game and to let us dink and dunk with Jones rather than let Brock make plays with his feet. It was a lot like what we do on defense, they dared us to keep hitting the short passes and to run the ball, Brock actually deserves a lot of credit for keeping at it and not trying to force things deep.

Until we prove we can run the ball, I expect teams to play us similar the rest of the year. We will for sure see something similar in two weeks from the Hawks. Hopefully the staff is a step ahead and will add some new wrinkles.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Purdy was fine today. What people need to be worried about is the OL. Based on today's performance it seems like all that offseason talk about an improved OL was all hype.

They've improved somewhat in the run game--the 4 ypc was nice and all too uncommon last year despite having a pro back there--but they were really bad yesterday in picking up extra guys the defense sent.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
ISU does not the Oline and skill set at running back and WR to not have Purdy running the ball. Look at OU last year, Murray great passer, but could also take off on the RPO.s, Texas's best runner last year was the QB. Yes, I know he is bigger, but ISU just does not have the offensive talent to allow Purdy not to run.
Hell, I am not sure exactly what type of offense we are trying to run, are we a spread team, a power running team or what? If you want to play power football like KSU, then we need a fullback that can block and the QB has to run the ball. So far through one game, I see none of that, and we didn't the last 3 games last year, Texas, Drake and W. St.

Bottom line, to me, Purdy needs to at least be a threat running the ball off the edge, to slow down the backside DE. To do that, he has to run 5 to 10 times a game.

Reactions: khardbored

CaptainClutch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 1, 2014
The dude recovered the fumble on the goal line. Pretty much saved us at that point. He may have been off his game but he won that game by diving for the loose ball. Game ball goes to Purdy.
The crazy thing is he may have been off his game but he still passed 31/40, 0 interceptions, 2 touchdowns while they weren’t letting him loose.

Jiub

Nov 11, 2015
Des Moines
Why have him run when you have a stable of talented running backs. I don’t want him getting hurt - live to play another down. That being said, oline needs to protect.

• Disagree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
not-sure-if-pep0dc.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: khardbored

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
It seemed like offensive playcalling was intentionally forcing ISU to play to through its weaknesses/fundamentals. Forcing the run game against defensive numbers/down and distance, forcing receivers to play in traffic vs stretching the field, forcing Purdy to stay in the pocket and forcing the o-line to keep a clean pocket. UNI deserves a lot of credit, they set up themselves up to make ISU work, but ISU was so unnecessarily risk-adverse that it made me wonder if it was all intentional so that the staff could use the gamefilm to harp on ISU's fundamental mistakes, of which there were many. Penalties, missed assignments, etc. There's also some covering up the playbook for later games, but it would be very Campbellian (in my opinion) for them to ratchet up the difficulty to maximize learning. If so, mission accomplished, but damn.

Defense played great, but I hope we're more we're more selective of when/how we blitz going forward. McElvain played mistake-free, an amazing performance, but most of the blitzes we sent played into UNI's hands.