Northwestern 8-1 .889
Michigan State 16-2 .889
Purdue 14-2 .875
Illinois 12-2 .857
Iowa 19-9 .679
Minnesota 2-2 .500

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
Like I have always said, would you pay CPR that much if he could get you to consistent bowl games and a BCS bowl game every once in a while? It's not easy to win in this state.

The point you are making is very valid.

The problem is, and you saw it with Iowa State fans with mac the mediocre, the mindset of defend the coach divides the fanbase.

Kirkie the scum is the most powerful man in the state, and has been able to use that to quash a lot of unpleasant truths about the way that he has run is program. More importantly, he has used that power as a threat to make sure that the questions never get too tough.

I've always said he is Tressel without the talent level. He wants games to be close for no reason. Unfortunately, at iowa, that style also depends on getting a lot of breaks during the course of games.

The hawks have had a horseshoe up their ***** at various points in his tenure. As they have evened out over the course of his tenure, as these things tend to do, the losses have crept in. There is a rep as a player developer, with a lot of guys in the league, and that helps recruiting as well.

But it really does only take a game to get that luck back. Remember when greene was there, they were almost .500 coming off a loss to a bad illinois team. An obviously overrated penn state team (imagine a fox 12 team overrated) choked their chance to get an ohio state *** whipping in the championship game, and the stars aligned for the next 15-16 games.

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
The point you are making is very valid.

The problem is, and you saw it with Iowa State fans with mac the mediocre, the mindset of defend the coach divides the fanbase.

I get that. I get that once a team become average to decent, a lot of the fan base will want more. Well, the problem is, more is not easy. More is winning multiple conference championships and winning 9-10 games nearly every year. I just don't ever see a school in Iowa doing that on a consistent basis. Those fans don't understand how hard the recruiting is to get the kids you need to do that consistently. Plus you have to get lucky with a few recruits. Iowa produces what, 5-8 D1 recruits yearly? I'm talking kids that can actually play and contribute to a big time BCS school. Kids that, if not in Iowa, would still be recruited by BCS schools. You can't build programs around that. You have to go outside to recruit, and that is, and will always be, hit and miss.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
I get that. I get that once a team become average to decent, a lot of the fan base will want more. Well, the problem is, more is not easy. More is winning multiple conference championships and winning 9-10 games nearly every year. I just don't ever see a school in Iowa doing that on a consistent basis. Those fans don't understand how hard the recruiting is to get the kids you need to do that consistently. Plus you have to get lucky with a few recruits. Iowa produces what, 5-8 D1 recruits yearly? I'm talking kids that can actually play and contribute to a big time BCS school. Kids that, if not in Iowa, would still be recruited by BCS schools. You can't build programs around that. You have to go outside to recruit, and that is, and will always be, hit and miss.

The problem is that there is such a lack of reality in these inbred tavern hawk fans.

YOU ARE NOT A NATIONAL PROGRAM!!! Hold on let me repeat that YOU ARE NOT A NATIONAL PROGRAM!!!

I don't necessarily think ol' kirkie the scum is a good in game coach, and I think that he has wasted a lot of time with tired schemes from coordinators that needed to go a bit ago.

He is completely overpaid, which is what I think is the point of contention. He makes Saban, Stoops, Brown money, but doesn't have the results.

Again the embarrassing idiot hawk fan (most of them) seems to always let their inadequacies as a human being, and COMPLETE INSECURITY, cloud their perceptions.

You seem like you at least think about being embarrassed by these idiots, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt. But, the simple fact is that kirkie the scum has done an amazing job for the what that program should be entitled to thinking it should be.

BUT he has left a lot of wins on the field over the past 5 years also. Again, remember that they got EVERY conceiveable break for two years, culmination in holloway catching that pass against LSU. Breaks even out over the course of time, and they have caught up to the hawks.

And baffling lazy coaching, mccarneyesque at times.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Like I have always said, would you pay CPR that much if he could get you to consistent bowl games and a BCS bowl game every once in a while? It's not easy to win in this state.

You make a good point. However, with a huge salary comes big expectations. We all know this is a "what have you done for me lately" sport and Ferentz's own success is working against him right now.

If you make top 5 money and you basically go .500 over the past 2 seasons, you should have to answer some tough questions. Fired? No, that's ridiculous. But for him to continually act like no one can question him or his coordinators is beyond silly.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
You make a good point. However, with a huge salary comes big expectations. We all know this is a "what have you done for me lately" sport and Ferentz's own success is working against him right now.

If you make top 5 money and you basically go .500 over the past 2 seasons, you should have to answer some tough questions. Fired? No, that's ridiculous. But for him to continually act like no one can question him or his coordinators is beyond silly.

I totally agree. If he wants to be paid that much he should have to deal with the criticism when his teams are bad. I don't for a second think anyone (outside of maybe a choice few guys) could do any better as a coach in Iowa. His press conferences are a joke most of the time. I don't even bother listening to them. Nothing will be said except for "they played better, that's football". Blah.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron