Help Me Understand Going For Two

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Iowa State isnt Alabama who has a talent advantage over 99.5% of teams in college football. I love Campbell for having the guts to go for it. You just cant go to OT against an offense like that and expect to come out with a victory.
You mean an offense that didn’t do diddly squat in the second half? I get it that Oklahoma is a stacked offensive team, but they didn’t do anything in the second half and our defense was mowing them down.

Jonyrose

Oct 5, 2017
Okay, dude. Our defense was good in the second half, stopping Oklahoma and they couldn’t stop us in the 4th quarter, but I’m the idiot thinking that you can win in overtime, right? We went for two and lost. This squad could’ve won in overtime.

Option 1:
go for the win against an overmatched and tired defense who couldn’t stop anything for the entire half without a chance for them to regroup

or

Option 2:
Take it to overtime and allow a very athletic group of defenders have a chance to regroup with their coach and try to cobble together a defense

And

Give the ball to the best offense in the country from the 25, which they hadn’t even sniffed since midway through the third quarter, and who had been playing very conservative all second half

and

we get the ball square in the zone where we struggle to get out of our own way.

option 1 sounds much more appealing and had Pettway not been mugged it would have worked.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Yep. One guy came sort of open and another got wide open. Purdy put the ball on the money. It was definitely PI but you can't expect that call to get made in that situation.

You could maybe make the case for a designed roll out or something to utilize Brock's mobility but the play that was called was good enough. It was a failure to execute.

Iowa State got called for PI on back to back two point tries against Oklahoma State two years ago. Same officiating crew.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
What really hurt us was the refs reviewing Charlie’s TD for lord knows what reason. You know Campbell had his play and the review gave OU time to collect themselves.

Great point, I forgot that happened. Granted, OU had 3 TOs so if they were flustered would have called one.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
You mean an offense that didn’t do diddly squat in the second half? I get it that Oklahoma is a stacked offensive team, but they didn’t do anything in the second half and our defense was mowing them down.

You’re purposely ignoring what has been pointed out to you multiple times in this thread. It starts with Kick and ends with ing. Or do you think our kicking game is strong?

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines

Momentum doesn't always carry into overtime like you were expecting. Half of their fans had already left and I think they were in shock. Going to overtime gives them time to get settled and regroup.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
OU’s offense is so good, they potentially could have gotten in FG range in 30 seconds with three timeouts (happens every week in NFL) regardless if we kicked the extra point or went for two.

In a game we had no business being in due to our first half performance, go for two.

I’m almost positive analytics says it’s a higher probability of victory, but the sport is a generation behind in using analytics.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
If you don’t grasp that repeatedly giving an offense like OU’s the ball at our 25 is a completely different animal from making them march the length of the field (or from the 3)—there’s your problem right there.

Reactions: CyBobby

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
you want a real nuts on the table call? You run the ******* speed option again.

throwing is too risky down there, I wish they’d let Brock have a run option.

No no no. You never make yourself one dimensional on a two point conversion. Rolling Purdy out with the option to run is one thing, but calling a run play is a bad, bad decision.

• Agree
Reactions: quasistellar

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
It’s like you’re intentionally ignoring how conservative OU’s offense went after going into halftime up 21, and that you think they would have continued to play that way in OT.

• Agree
Reactions: quasistellar

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
You don’t play for OT with our kickers
Not going to deny kicking HAS to upgrade next season, but that second half belonged to our defense. OU was completely shut down in the 4th quarter on offense. My thought is you play for OT with an ISU offense on fire, an ISU defense running on full confidence, an OU offense on its heals and stadium half full.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
ISU was in complete control of that game in the 4th quarter and pretty much the entire second half. OU had no answer for the ISU blitzes or containing ISU on the edge. Play for OT in front of an empty stadium will all the momentum.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
One play, two yards to win the game.

What is stupid is faking an extra point (Rhoads).

I thought the fake extra point try against Nebraska was a great call, the kid was wide open, what was stupid was having the punter as the holder, and therefore he shotputs the pass, instead of the backup QB, being the holder.
Rhoads was not much on details, and this was just one such example. Have a QB hold the kicks, just for trick plays like this one.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Not going to deny kicking HAS to upgrade next season, but that second half belonged to our defense. OU was completely shut down in the 4th quarter on offense. My thought is you play for OT with an ISU offense on fire, an ISU defense running on full confidence, an OU offense on its heals and stadium half full.

OU went into the 4th with a 21 point lead. If there was such thing as a Prevent Offense, that’s what they were doing. The offense we would have seen in OT would have been similar to the offense we saw in the first quarter, not the one we saw in the fourth.

• Agree
Reactions: im4cyclones

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
OU went into the 4th with a 21 point lead. If there was such thing as a Prevent Offense, that’s what they were doing. The offense we would have seen in OT would have been similar to the offense we saw in the first quarter, not the one we saw in the fourth.
OU scored 7 points in the second half. I don't even remembering them making it past the 50 other than that one drive. Our defense was rested and completely confusing Hurts. Put the game into the hands of our defense, its the best unit in the Big 12.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
ISU was in complete control of that game in the 4th quarter and pretty much the entire second half. OU had no answer for the ISU blitzes or containing ISU on the edge. Play for OT in front of an empty stadium will all the momentum.
Another person who fails to grasp that OT rules make a completely different situation from regulation.

Seriously. Go look at what happened after Baylor was held to 9 points in regulation, if you want a fresh example. There are more blatent ones, I’m just not taking the time to look for them.