Help Me Understand Going For Two

spk123

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Des Moines
1. No. Take the points until you have to go for two.

2. Definitely not the same situation.

“Take the points until you have to go for two” may maximize the length of time you have a chance to win, but it doesn’t necessarily maximize your chances of winning - the two statements are often used as if they are the same thing, but they aren’t. Going for two down 14 in the 4th quarter is the “analytics” play as seen in this article, because it maximizes your chances to win the game.

https://predictivefootball.com/late-and-trailing-by-14-points-always-go-for-2-after-a-touchdown/

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
If I was a coach I would seriously consider having a play call against a specific defensive look to go for 2 every single TD and if you get out there and the defense gives you that look you go for it. If not take the delay and kick the extra point. The 5 yards isn’t a big deal.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
We will agree to disagree. I will take the momentum we had into OT. Our defense was completely locked in on OU. 7 points, 7 points in the second half!
No, we won’t agree to disagree. You’re being stubbornly stupid and willfully ignorant on this. You’re flat out wrong.

Let me make this perfectly clearly. Repeatedly giving a team as talented as OU the ball on our 25 is a completely different animal from stopping them from going the length of the field.

thatdoesn’t even consider the fact that they have a reliable kicker—and we don’t.

The (current) 86 Disagrees, four Dumbs and two Dislikes versus a grand total of seven Agrees on the original post should be a hint that you’re being pigheaded on this.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Iowa State isnt Alabama who has a talent advantage over 99.5% of teams in college football. I love Campbell for having the guts to go for it. You just cant go to OT against an offense like that and expect to come out with a victory.

Amen Bro ...my exact sentiments...No way we win in overtime at OU, better to take a chance on a two point conversion than let the OU offense work from the 25 yard line....If Brock Purdy had seen Charlie Kolar open in the end zone...well...now....WE WIN!!!!

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
It's crazy to me that after decades of coaches that refuse to be aggressive and play to WIN, that there's actually people who DON'T agree with going for 2 vs OU in their house, with our garbage kicking, and their amazing offense.

Brock was on fire that drive, and having a 25 yard line shoot out HUGELY favors OU . Especially since they'd have a nice long break to regroup. Let's be real here. It took an INCREDIBLY bad decision by Jalen Hurts, an uncharacteristic interception by brick-handed D backs, and some huge offensive plays to even get us into position score at all.

I seriously can't believe the 2 point conversion decision is in question.

• Agree
Reactions: FOREVERTRUE

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It was the right play, just poor blocking.

And even with all that it still should have worked. If Pettway doesn't get mugged there's no reason he doesn't haul that pass in. Purdy put it right on the numbers with the pass rush right in his face. Couldn't have asked for a better ball. Woulda, coulda, shoulda. I think Campbell made the right call and it just didn't work out this time. So it goes.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: NWICY